Upgrading phone but want to keep old number

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Upgrading phone but want to keep old number

I currently have an old Nokia C1-01 on a "By the month - $30 Talk & Text" plan and am thinking of upgrading to a ZTE Axon for free by taking advantage of a 2-year term on the $30-per-month talk & text plan. My concern is in knowing this new phone is significantly more advanced than my old phone. I want to make sure I will be able to keep my old phone number. Will I? And if so, how will the transfer and activation of the new phone work? Do I just move my SIM card over? Will my current SIM card even be compatible with the new phone?

Accepted Solution

Re: Upgrading phone but want to keep old number

Axon is a much more advance phone than C1-01. 

C1-01 is not even a smart phone, and Axon is a smart phone which means you can install millions of apps on the phone.  

The only disadvantage of a smart phone is the battery, if you use the phone a lot, you may need to recharge the phone once a day or 2 days. 

You can absolutely keep your old number to use on the new phone, your number is registered and binded with the sim card inside the phone, not on the phone it self.  You can move your old sim to new phone, or in the case sim size is not compatible, you can change the sim while keeping same number. 

I have checked, C1-01 is using regular sized sim, and Axon is using Micro-SIM. 

You cannot use the old sim in the Axon directly. But you can still use the old number on new phone. 

Here is what you need to do: 

1. Order an Axon phone, by sending PM to a mod, calling a fido agent or go to a fido store. 

2. Once you got the new phone , it should comes with a new Micro sim for free, now you need to contact a fido agent to move your phone number from old sim to new sim card, once it is done, only the new sim card can make/recieve calls the old one can no longer be used. 

3. Insert the new sim card into the new phone and there you go, you can now use your old number on the new phone. 

PS. you need to save your contact list first before you do step 2. 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Fido Employee
Fido Employee
Solution

Axon is a much more advance phone than C1-01. 

C1-01 is not even a smart phone, and Axon is a smart phone which means you can install millions of apps on the phone.  

The only disadvantage of a smart phone is the battery, if you use the phone a lot, you may need to recharge the phone once a day or 2 days. 

You can absolutely keep your old number to use on the new phone, your number is registered and binded with the sim card inside the phone, not on the phone it self.  You can move your old sim to new phone, or in the case sim size is not compatible, you can change the sim while keeping same number. 

I have checked, C1-01 is using regular sized sim, and Axon is using Micro-SIM. 

You cannot use the old sim in the Axon directly. But you can still use the old number on new phone. 

Here is what you need to do: 

1. Order an Axon phone, by sending PM to a mod, calling a fido agent or go to a fido store. 

2. Once you got the new phone , it should comes with a new Micro sim for free, now you need to contact a fido agent to move your phone number from old sim to new sim card, once it is done, only the new sim card can make/recieve calls the old one can no longer be used. 

3. Insert the new sim card into the new phone and there you go, you can now use your old number on the new phone. 

PS. you need to save your contact list first before you do step 2. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Thank you so much for your speedy and thorough reply! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

It has been my understanding that you dont loose your number by simply upgrading your phone unless you specifically ask for it to be changed, port in a new number, move to another province, or cancel your account and open a new account.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4