Unpleasant, unacceptable and unbearable service experience with Fido

I'm a Participant Level 2 maxdura
I'm a Participant Level 2

Unpleasant, unacceptable and unbearable service experience with Fido

Our company has a business account with Fido.

On Sep 18, 2017, we purchased a new number and a new iPhone7 125GB Silver from the Fido store at Agincourt Mall.

Last month (2018-Feb), the phone suddenly cannot find SIM card, "NO SIM".

We first tried customer services, because the iPhone is within 1-year old, Fido sent us a new SIM card. The phone could not detect the SIM card. Then, we went to a Fido store in Markham, later to a corporate store at STC. The agent tested the SIM card on another device, and it was working. So, the agent tried to reboot our iPhone, also tried reset factory mode. Still did not fix the phone. After the factory reset, the phone stuck on the factory home screen. The phone was completely useless. Everything was wiped out.

The agent said Fido could not do anything, and it was Apple's responsible for fixing the phone. We went to Apple Store next business day. Apple tested and checked, the result was to replace the phone at around 480+tax. We were very shocked because of the phone still under 1-year warranty.

We brought our purchase invoice from Fido store, but Apple said the phone actually activated on Feb 15, 2017, out of warranty. Apple did not consider the purchase date.

The ball bounced back to Fido. We called Fido whole afternoon, tried to get a solution. Fido called Apple, then left the phone conversation, b/c according to their policy, Fido cannot overhear the conversation between his customer and Apple. We got the same answer from Apple that they only look at the active date, they said we purchased a used phone.

What can we do? We purchased a brand new phone of $1059 on Sep 18, 2017. Now the Apple's test system showed the phone was actually activated by someone 6 months ago.

At this moment, our heart was so cold and helpless. But this was not the worst. We went to the Fido store that we purchased the iPhone. The agent first denied they sold us a used phone. We had all proofs, but Fido did not accept the truth they sold the customer a used phone. Maybe Apple had a system issue, that was one answer from Fido.

We contacted Fido again and again, and hope we could speak to a manager. The last call was around 5pm, and the agent said the phone number did not associate with the iPhone. Refuse to talk more, and kept us on hold again. 

We were speechless. Not associated?

ON THE MONTHLY BILL, THE PHONE NUMBER PRINT. ON THE PURCHASE INVOICE THE PHONE NUMBER AND THE PHONE TRACKING NUMBER PRINT. AND, IN THE END, THIS NUMBER WAS NOT MATCH IN YOUR SYSTEM. WE DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO SAY. WE PAID $98.31/MONTH. MY CELL RAN OUT OF BATTERY BECAUSE I CALLED FIDO HALF DAY.

We spent the whole afternoon tried to find an answer with Fido customer services. In the end, the Fido Store that sold the phone to us decided to fix the phone for 30 days, then gave us a loaner phone at $50.

But, the Fido store did not answer why the phone activated in Feb 2017. This is not the solution we want! We could get a replacement iPhone the same day at Apple without any cost, if the iPhone activated on Sep 18, 2017, not Feb 15, 2017. We deserve an explanation and refund on that!

Accepted Solution

Re: Unpleasant, unacceptable and unbearable service experience with Fido

Solved. Fido replaced the iPhone, same model diff colour. Thanks.

The original iPhone was sent back to the manufacturer for repair, we borrowed a loaner phone ($50 deposit). After a month, the Fido agent contacted said the phone could not be fixed, but they would replace the phone for free.

Side note, Fido head office contacted us too, promised to credit the replacement cost at Apple store. But, the call was after we sent the phone to manufacture. So, we waited a month.

It was not a pleasant journey, but we did get the phone replaced.

Thank you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hey @maxdura

Welcome to the Community! 

That doesn't sound right at all. All the phone we sell are new. We don't sell used or refurbished phones on our end so yours should definitely not show a date different than the purchase date. 

I will be happy to look into your account and see what happened there. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. 

Chat soon! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

There are some parts of the story seems odd. I am not saying anyone is wrong or taking any sides.

First of all, how can a iphone 7 128 Gb phone be activated on Feb 15, 2017 and returend to Fido within 15 days and sit in the cabinet for 8 months before it was discovered and sold in Sep 18, 2017? It seems weird to me as most of the time when I buy a phone off Fido the phone is manufactured within  2 - 3 months from the date I made the purchase.  It just seems odd to me.

I also find it odd that Apple would allow a store to keep a returned phone and not have to send it back to apple to sell as reconditioned goods.  Many "high end" tech companies asks manufacturer to send defective or opened boxed items back to the manufacturer and not sell them on the floor.

Third question that came to mind is: When you purchase the new iphone 7 128 Gb (no such thing as 125 Gb) did you inspect the phone to make sure it is brand new (e.g., box is still sealed, phone has no finger prints, the package wrap is present, user manual not folded, charger and cable placed neatly inside box)? Those are the things I look for when I purchase a phone. Heck, the store associate does not break the seal and open the phone until all paper work has been signed and understood.

Lastly, just a FYI, your iphone 7 logic board is probably dead and require replacement. Apparently this issue is quite common as it has happened to couple of my friends already. The fact that yours last for ~ 1 year (based on activation date) is not surprising. That's why many people purchase applecare for that reason.  In hindsight, if you purchased applecare within Fido's 15 days return window, you might have found out sooner that your phone might have been activated 8 months ago.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
I'm a Participant Level 2 maxdura
I'm a Participant Level 2
Solution

Solved. Fido replaced the iPhone, same model diff colour. Thanks.

The original iPhone was sent back to the manufacturer for repair, we borrowed a loaner phone ($50 deposit). After a month, the Fido agent contacted said the phone could not be fixed, but they would replace the phone for free.

Side note, Fido head office contacted us too, promised to credit the replacement cost at Apple store. But, the call was after we sent the phone to manufacture. So, we waited a month.

It was not a pleasant journey, but we did get the phone replaced.

Thank you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4