Unlocking Fee

Unlocking Fee

Unlocking Fee

SOLVED
sv25
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Unlocking Fee

Why is there an Unlocking fee if a customer is off their contract? It should be free. What are your thought guys? CRTC should also know. Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocking Fee

Solved by Former Moderator FidoManuel

Hi @sv25

You can find more information here. We offer BYOP plans for our customers convenience.

Some customers have their own phone or simply want a phone that is not in our lineup. For those customers, we have BYOP plans.

We always inform our customers that since they are using a non-Fido phone, some features might not work properly. 

We've sold you a locked device, you've accepted to purchase a phone that was locked to our network. If you need to have it unlocked, we can offer you that service for a 50$ fee. 

View solution in context
13 REPLIES 13
FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @sv25! Smiley

Our phones are enhanced to work best on the Rogers/Fido network, so keep in mind that some features might not work if you're using your unlocked phone with another service provider. We charge a $50 unlocking fee to help offset the costs associated with unlocking your device. We also follow the guidelines that the CRTC set in regards of this. Hope this clarifies everything. 

sv25

Hi Terry:

Interesting! In that case, can you please enlighten all of us here which services won't well when we unlock our phones and start using them on Fido network? Then why do you guys have BYOP Plans? People bring their unlocked phones over to you and if they do not get certain services or features, how come you guys do not talk about it on those plans?
sv25

I would like to know why FIDO thinks it is ethical to charge to unlock a phone when a contract is fulfilled and the phone is legal property of the customer.
FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hi @sv25

You can find more information here. We offer BYOP plans for our customers convenience.

Some customers have their own phone or simply want a phone that is not in our lineup. For those customers, we have BYOP plans.

We always inform our customers that since they are using a non-Fido phone, some features might not work properly. 

We've sold you a locked device, you've accepted to purchase a phone that was locked to our network. If you need to have it unlocked, we can offer you that service for a 50$ fee. 

sv25

The bottom line is if customers are on a contract, there is no need to sell locked devices to begin with and make them pay $50 to unlock it after. Smiley We all know what the real intention and objective is. If not, then you guys would have allowed customers to use Fido dollars to use that for that forced unlocking service fee.
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

@sv25, you'll find that all the carriers have an unlocking fee. The CRTC forced them to provide unlocking, but not only they did not say it had to be free, they said there carriers can charge for this "service". I don't have the exact text with me (posting from phone), but feel free to look it up.

If you don't agree with the unlocking fee, I suggest you don't purchase a phone through a carrier!
sv25

Are you an under cover FIDO employee? Your language doesn't sound like you're a customer who's seeking to change certain questionable practices and processes!
zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Paranoid much?

No, I have no ties to Fido or any other player in the telecommunication industry, directly or indirectly, appart from being a client. I'm just someone who does research before he makes purchase decisions. My last phone purchases where all Nexus devices. Being unlocked was not the driving factor, but it was a bonus. So in a way, I am working to change that questionable practice: I voted with my wallet.

Given that most people will jump on "a free phone" without looking at how much more their plan will cost them 2 years down the road, I just don't have much hope.

All I did was telling you that you're complaining as if Fido is the only one doing this, and threatening to complain to the CRTC even though the CRTC allows them to charge the fee in the first place.

sv25

Nice! Anyone who reads your message can easily tell if you are a real client or not! I don't care about what other players are doing because I'm a very loyal Fido customer and if I have any concerns, I will use this Forum/ platform to address it. Smiley
FidoManuel
Former Moderator

Hi @sv25

You need to be a Fido customer in order to have access to the Fido Community, that confirms he's a real client.

I can also confirm that he's not an Fido/Rogers employee. 

zyx is part of our MVP program, you can find more information about this here, or in the link included in his signature. 

sv25

Thank you for clarifying and coming to ZYX's defence! Great team work! 😃👍

You never replied to the one I asked before Manuel. What services won't work well or at all when a customer brings an unlocked phone over to FIDO? Please enlighten us with some examples of such customer challenges in the past. Thanks so much! 👍

@sv25 WiFi calling would be one.

sv25

Thanks Kapable-K! 👍