Unlocking Android phone, horrible customer support in phone and store

SOLVED
Bhyn
I'm a Participant Level 1

I needed help today with unlocking an LG G6 with Fido for a trip abroad.

First phone support contact provided instructions on how to unlock as well as codes for the phone about a week ago.

Followed instructions for Fido phone using a different carrier sim. Still unsure if the steps I did was right so called Fido phone support again. 

Second phone advisor cannot tell me if my phone is unlocked. His name was Nick and he said he can see my phone as not fully unlocked. Told me I need to get an international sim to get the process complete. Asked if other Canadian carriers sim is ok to use he said yes but the one I used did not unlock my phone. 

Third phone advisor advised me to get transfered to the unlocking department. 

Fourth phone advisor said finally that Fido cannot know if my Android phone is unlocked. Advised me to go to the store as they can help me further. Assured they have the sim and tools to help me confirm if my phone has been unlocked. 

Drove 20 minutes to the Fido store at the Penn Centre St. Catherines. A store representative checked my phone put in the prepaid SIM I used to follow the steps, advised it looks unlock but to confirm it I need to get the Virgin mobile prepaid SIM activated. 

Went to the Virgin mobile store and have been asked to activate the SIM. Activated SIM and got a phone number but needs to wait for about 2 hours.

I did not have time to wait for 2 hours so I went back to the Fido Store. Different store representative who said he is not able to help without asking what I have been through just told me to go to another mobile store as he does not have any SIM at the store to confirm if my phone is unlocked. 

Frustrated at this point, called phone support again to file a complaint for the unnecessary store visit and horrible experience. 

Fifth phone support said the Fido store situation is out of their control. And would send my feedback via survey which I never got or complain to the store manager. 

Went back to the Fido store, asked for the manager but the same store representative who told me he cannot help told me said he is the manager. And that he still cannot help me on the issue. I explained to him the Fido phone support told me to come here to the store for help as they have the sim and tools to confirm my phone is unlocked but he said I have to complain about the phone support and not to the store. Overall VERY bad store experience and phone support advise. 

I hope Fido can provide dummy SIMs for unlocking requests at their Fido Stores if phone support cannot customers know if their phone has been successfully unlocked. Or could have just advised me not to go to the store and just borrow some other SIM if the store actually does not have them. I have been with Fido since 2015 but after this incident and after my travel I think not for long. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocking Android phone, horrible customer support in phone and store

Solved by Moderator

Hey there @Bhyn!

Welcome to the community :).

Apologies for the experience you've had so far. This is definitely not the process you'd have to go through to get your phone(s) unlocked. Your feedback is important to us, and I'll make sure to forward this to the appropriate channels.

In the meantime, I'd like to turn this around by offering a bit of clarifications. If you'd like me to assist in any way to have your devices unlocked, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.

The agents were not entirely wrong when they said that we can't really confirm if your device is unlocked or not. We can provide you all the information you need, but your phone will remain locked until you complete the unlocking process. For more info on the steps for each device model, click here.

There's generally 2 categories when unlocking a device :

• Androids - We will provide you an unlocking code. Your phone will remain locked until you insert a non-Fido SIM., and by doing so, your device will prompt you for the unlock code. Your phone is now unlocked unless the code is not accepted.
  • Iphones -  There is no unlocking code provided. We simply send a request to have it unlocked, after which you'll need to complete the steps listed in the link above. 

Having a non-Fido SIM handy remains the best way to confirm if your device is locked or unlocked. That being said, if you've completed these steps then you're also good to go :).

Hope this clarifies, and let me know if you have any questions.

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
FidoSaad

Hey there @Bhyn!

Welcome to the community :).

Apologies for the experience you've had so far. This is definitely not the process you'd have to go through to get your phone(s) unlocked. Your feedback is important to us, and I'll make sure to forward this to the appropriate channels.

In the meantime, I'd like to turn this around by offering a bit of clarifications. If you'd like me to assist in any way to have your devices unlocked, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to help.

The agents were not entirely wrong when they said that we can't really confirm if your device is unlocked or not. We can provide you all the information you need, but your phone will remain locked until you complete the unlocking process. For more info on the steps for each device model, click here.

There's generally 2 categories when unlocking a device :

• Androids - We will provide you an unlocking code. Your phone will remain locked until you insert a non-Fido SIM., and by doing so, your device will prompt you for the unlock code. Your phone is now unlocked unless the code is not accepted.
  • Iphones -  There is no unlocking code provided. We simply send a request to have it unlocked, after which you'll need to complete the steps listed in the link above. 

Having a non-Fido SIM handy remains the best way to confirm if your device is locked or unlocked. That being said, if you've completed these steps then you're also good to go :).

Hope this clarifies, and let me know if you have any questions.