Unlocked telus samsung galaxy s6 won't allow wifi calling on fido.

SOLVED
Rodkaren
I'm a Participant Level 3

The phone is now on the fido network, but the wifi calling option slider is absent from the settings menu.  I believe this is due to the telus firmware.  Will flashing the fido firmware on to the phone correct this or am I risking the phone?

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocked telus samsung galaxy s6 won't allow wifi calling on fido.

Solved by MVP MVP
All Samsung S6 in Canada are the same to change it Telus to Fido do this Open your phone’s dialer and type the following code with your device IMEI number: *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here# select the Fido sales code I believe it's FMC now your phone will have everything for Fido.

Backup your phone before doing this because it will wipe your phone.
View solution in context
10 REPLIES 10
FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Rodkaren & welcome to the Community. Smiley

We don't  suggest that you flash the firmware as it may render your phone useless (unless paperweights are your thing). 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

All Samsung S6 in Canada are the same to change it Telus to Fido do this Open your phone’s dialer and type the following code with your device IMEI number: *#272*Phone’s IMEI Here# select the Fido sales code I believe it's FMC now your phone will have everything for Fido.

Backup your phone before doing this because it will wipe your phone.

Rodkaren

Thank you, your suggestion succeeded in enabling the missing wif calling functionality.  Unfortunately, although I used smart switch to back up my wife's phone beforehand, the backup didn't restore all her data, such as calendar appointments, apps (whatsup), etc.  Now, she's seriously pissed at me.  Oh well.

Sorry to hear about the missing data.

I'd she was using Google calendar it should of synced with Google. Also you can backup whatsapp to your Google drive also for future resets.

Rodkaren

Unfortunately, there's still an issue with the wifi calling.  Although the phone now has the wifi calling option slider, when attempting to implement it, a message comes up saying the device is not elegible.  A long, drawn out call to Fido support ended up with them saying the phone wouldn't work because it hadn't been purchased from Fido.  So, I'm still left with the idea the only way it will work is if I flash it with the Fido firmware, with the risk of bricking it. Thoughts?

Flashing the firmware won't work in this case because the firmware is the same for all Canadian S6 and the firmware contains all the different sales code that's why you could have switched it to the Fido sales code.

Your phone said it's not eligible because I believe Rogers/Fido is only allowing the activation based on the imei numbers in their system.

Because your s6 is from Telus Fido won't activate the WiFi because the imei is not in the system so they won't support it.

Rodkaren

Thank you again for your response.  I guess that makes sense - I wonder if I can get Fido to add the IMEI to their system?

Hi @Rodkaren!

Since you're using an unlocked phone, we can't guarantee that our WiFi calling will work on your phone. That said, it doesn't hurt to try. I'll send you a PM so we can add your IMEI to the account. Smiley

Talk to you soon!

Alek

Hello @Rodkaren

Did you try this option? It worked for you? I am having the same problem, I see the wifi calling option but when I try to register I get a message that my phone is not Fido. My IMEI is already registered with them.

Regards
Rodkaren

Unfortunately, I don't have good news for you.  I spite of Fido's assitance, I wasn't able to get wifi calling to work on my wife's Galaxy S6.  Works just fine on my iphone 6 plus, without having to jump through any hoops.