Unlocked hotspot help

Unlocked hotspot help

Unlocked hotspot help

SOLVED
mp195
I'm a Participant Level 1

Unlocked hotspot help

I have an unlocked mobile hotpot that I am trying to get to work on Fido. It is a ZTE MB61 (originally from t-mobile) According to the specs it works on the following frequencies:

GSM/GPRS: 1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100) GSM/EDGE/WCDMA/HSDPA/HSUPA/HSPA+

I went into the settings and changed the APN to LTEMOBILE.APN

90% of the time it only seems to see the Wind Network, even though it is sitting right beside my phone which is on Fido. A couple of times it has managed to connect to Rogers on Edge only.

Is this device compatible with Fido, am I missing something in the settings or am I better off just going back the the drawing board?

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocked hotspot help

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@mp195 wrote:

I have an unlocked mobile hotpot that I am trying to get to work on Fido. It is a ZTE MB61 (originally from t-mobile) According to the specs it works on the following frequencies:

90% of the time it only seems to see the Wind Network, even though it is sitting right beside my phone which is on Fido. A couple of times it has managed to connect to Rogers on Edge only.

Is this device compatible with Fido, am I missing something in the settings or am I better off just going back the the drawing board?

*** Edited to add labels ***

Hello Mp195,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, judging by those specifications, I don't think it would be worth using that hotspot on Fido. It only has the one compatible 2G band/frequency, 1900MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Even if you got signal with 1900MHz, it would be EDGE and very slow.

Since that hotspot is not capable of LTE, it would require fido-core-appl1.apn

You note that it only finds Wind. That is because both T-Mobile and Wind use the same band for '3G', band 4. While Fido/Rogers uses band 4 for LTE, that band is not interchangable between networks.

So if you wish to continue with Fido, then you're better off heading back to the drawing board. On the other hand, that hotspot should work on '3G' with Wind. However, their service have their own drawbacks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@mp195 wrote:

*** Edited to add labels ***

Hello Mp195,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, judging by those specifications, I don't think it would be worth using that hotspot on Fido. It only has the one compatible 2G band/frequency, 1900MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Even if you got signal with 1900MHz, it would be EDGE and very slow.

Since that hotspot is not capable of LTE, it would require fido-core-appl1.apn

You note that it only finds Wind. That is because both T-Mobile and Wind use the same band for '3G', band 4. While Fido/Rogers uses band 4 for LTE, that band is not interchangable between networks.

So if you wish to continue with Fido, then you're better off heading back to the drawing board. On the other hand, that hotspot should work on '3G' with Wind. However, their service have their own drawbacks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers