Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen

Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen

Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen

SOLVED
clairels
I'm a Participant Level 2

Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen

Hi,

If I buy an unlocked Moto G 3rd Gen XT1540, will I be able to put my existing Fido sim card (or exchange for appropriately sized sim card in-store) and continue using my Fido number/account?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocked Moto G 3rd gen

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@clairels wrote:

Hi,

If I buy an unlocked Moto G 3rd Gen XT1540, will I be able to put my existing Fido sim card (or exchange for appropriately sized sim card in-store) and continue using my Fido number/account?

Thanks!

Hello Clairels,

Welcome to the forums!

Judging from the specifications listed here for that phone, it should have all of the compatible bands for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would have *all of the compatible bands/frequencies. There shouldn't be any issues with that phone accessing the networks. You should be able to put your existing Fido SIM card (or exchange for appropriately sized sim card in-store) and continue using your Fido number/account. You might want to verify your current SIM is LTE-capable.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

*Does not have the most recently added band 12 (700 MHz) in some regions (see here).

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@clairels wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Hello Clairels,

Welcome to the forums!

Judging from the specifications listed here for that phone, it should have all of the compatible bands for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would have *all of the compatible bands/frequencies. There shouldn't be any issues with that phone accessing the networks. You should be able to put your existing Fido SIM card (or exchange for appropriately sized sim card in-store) and continue using your Fido number/account. You might want to verify your current SIM is LTE-capable.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

*Does not have the most recently added band 12 (700 MHz) in some regions (see here).

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Once the phone is unlocked yes you can.

You will need to make sure it has the required Band Frequencies that Fido uses and make sure you have the correct APN settings for internet and MMS, for full details on how to configure an unlocked device see here.

clairels

Thanks for your help! I checked the Band Frequencies - does it need to match all the ones listed in the link you gave me? GSM and HSPA+ are fine, but UMTS and HSPA are not mentioned in the Moto G spec. Does this matter? Sorry if this is a stupid question...and thanks again!

@clairels wrote:

Thanks for your help! I checked the Band Frequencies - does it need to match all the ones listed in the link you gave me? GSM and HSPA+ are fine, but UMTS and HSPA are not mentioned in the Moto G spec. Does this matter? Sorry if this is a stupid question...and thanks again!

Hello again,

I understand the confusion. That is why I rarely reference the 'How to configure...' page with regards to bands/frequencies. I usually refer people here.

UMTS (WCDMA) is the '3G' network. HSPA and HSPA+ are protocols using the UMTS network. It is very confusing having them listed together like the way it is in that page. **edit** That said, there is no standard for listing bands frequencies. Some manufacturers/providers will use UMTS, WCDMA, HSPA, HSPA+, HSDPA, etc to refer to the '3G' network.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

clairels

Awesome, that's super helpful Smiley Thank you.