Unlocked Blackberry Curve thinks I'm roaming

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Unlocked Blackberry Curve thinks I'm roaming

I have a Curve 3G that has never been locked. I used to be on Rogers but moved to Fido last week.

Ever since I moved to Fido, the phone always thinks I'm roaming. It didn't do this with Rogers. This doesnt affect the functioning of the phone, but the problem is I have to keep the setting "Data Services While Roaming" set to ON. Data doesn't  work when this is set to OFF. Even though I'm in my local area "Montreal".

My worry is that I'm gonna go on a trip one day and forget to switch this setting and then get charged a fortune for data roaming.

This seems to be a known issue with Fido and unlocked Blackberrys, but nobody seems to have found a solution to let the phone know that it isn't roaming.

Any help would be appreciated. I already tried wiping the phone and calling tech support. Didn't really help. The triangle roaming sign is always there.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlocked Blackberry Curve thinks I'm roaming

It thinks its roaming because it actually is technically Roaming on a different network than the SIM Card. The network the SIM card tells it belongs to no longer exists, this happens quite a lot in the wireless industry, companies get bought out all the time by competition. The only solution is by using a Fido Branded handset on Fido, the special software inside it corrects this and shows no roaming. Fido won't provide solutions to phones they didn't sell, thats a given, and its pretty common practice around the world for other carriers to follow suit.

if anything, turn your network to manual scan, so when you do come across another network, you will be prompt so you can use that as a reminder to turn off your roaming
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2
Solution

It thinks its roaming because it actually is technically Roaming on a different network than the SIM Card. The network the SIM card tells it belongs to no longer exists, this happens quite a lot in the wireless industry, companies get bought out all the time by competition. The only solution is by using a Fido Branded handset on Fido, the special software inside it corrects this and shows no roaming. Fido won't provide solutions to phones they didn't sell, thats a given, and its pretty common practice around the world for other carriers to follow suit.

if anything, turn your network to manual scan, so when you do come across another network, you will be prompt so you can use that as a reminder to turn off your roaming
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14
Highlighted

Thanks Paolo.

I bought my phone in Dubai, where no phones are locked. So the phone shouldn't think it belongs to any network. It's not a phone that was locked, for example by AT&T, then unlocked. This phone has never been locked. It's basically straight from the factory.

But I think I understand what you mean. It shows as roaming because Fido actually uses Rogers' network. It didn't show roaming when I had an actual Rogers SIM in it because it was going to the Rogers network directly.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like there is a solution to this issue. I'll just have to be more careful when travelling. Your suggestion about manual scanning is a very good idea, I might give that a try.

Thanks again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

an unlocked phone or never locked phone should not matter. its the carrier branding/customization that fido puts in its phones to remove the roaming, otherwise they will all show roaming, and roaming can reduce battery standby life if you are on Automatic Network Scan, as the SIM is telling your phone to constantly look for a network with the ID of 302-370 (old microcell ID) which has not existed for over 4 years, so putting it in manual will save battery life,
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted

Thanks for the advice. I switched it to Manual and selected Fido 3G after the scan.

But I still have "Network Mode" set to 2G & 3G.

Will it still switch to EDGE or other 2G modes if I'm in an area with a weak 3G signal? I get poor 3G reception in some buildings. Or will it now always insist on the 3G network even 2G is stronger?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

There are some areas where only a 2G signal is only present or the stronger, and some where a 3G signal is only present or is stronger, so keeping your phone in 2G and 3G will look for the strongest RSSI, in both technologies. Edge is just the name for the Data later attached to 2G, your phone is actually switching to the GSM mode when it says Edge when there is a weak 3G signal but a stronger 2G signal present. Hope This Helps.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just bought a new fido SIM and using it with my unlocked BB 8520. I have the same issue. Just one question though. When using the phone within the network coverage or by the selection of fido network, will it charge roaming for voice or data?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Even though the phone shows you as roaming, is OK. There Is NO OTHER NETWORK to choose, you HAFTO Roam on the rogers network, or get no service.

The billing system knows your on rogers anyways and bills you as you are on your home network anyways.  its once your phone says anything like AT&T, or T-Mobile or cingular, is when you will be charged

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14
Highlighted

I'm not sure I understand, I don't speak smart people, haha..

My HTC was cracked pretty bad, and I was given an unlocked BlackBerry Curve. It says that I am roaming, and the service bars say edge beside them, but it still says I am on the Fido mobile network. Does it matter that it's using whatever this edge thing is? Will I be charged for roaming?

EDIT: I didn't even realize how old this was, I just googled my question and this is what came up. Would really appreciate a response, thanks so much!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

ok let me try to RE-Explain it

on fido, the Roaming indicator is Broken when you use an unlocked phone, soo since its completely Broken. we will never get an icon or indicator that we left the network.  and no body can fix it, no body ever.  so now all you need to know, ALL you EVER need to know is to look at the Alpha Tag on your phone display screen,  when it reads FIDO. you are on Fido network.  if it reads Any thing other than fido such as AT&T, Cingular, T-Mobile, VoiceStream, etc,  than you are NOT on fido network and you will get roaming charges.   That is how people back in the day knew they were roaming, they did not have an icon to tell them they had to manually look at the display on the phones screen, so its not that much different, you dont have to be smart at all, you just know how to tell if the display says fido or something else.  and wala! problem solved.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14