Unlock iPhone after contract expired, then Fido asks you for $50?!

SOLVED
duotrust
I'm a Participant Level 2

Today i called Fido and tried to unlock my iPhone(the contract has ended 6 months ago), then the gentleman took a note of my IMEI#, came up with a soft tone"sir, if you agree to proceed the unlock, there will be $50 + tax appears on your next monthly bill"... excuse-me, i have paid the full price of the phone in the past two years with a quite expensive plan, and i don't quite understand what this so called "administration fees"  is all about.

I saw the customer service quality has dropped dramatically in recent months, at first, they got rid of retention dept, followed by claiming the end of Fido dollars, then try to charge you another $50 dollars for unlocking your phone after contract expiration. Brilliant!! 

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlock iPhone after contract expired, then Fido asks you for $50?!

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAlyson

Hey @duotrust,

The $50 unlocking fee is standard practice amongst the industry.

You can read about it over here.

When you buy a phone through a carrier instead of a manufacturer, it will always be locked unless it is a Nexus. 

Nexus phones are always unlocked.

To purshase an unlocked device, you need to go through the manufacturer directly.

Hope this clarifies it.

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
FidoAlyson
Former Moderator

Hey @duotrust,

The $50 unlocking fee is standard practice amongst the industry.

You can read about it over here.

When you buy a phone through a carrier instead of a manufacturer, it will always be locked unless it is a Nexus. 

Nexus phones are always unlocked.

To purshase an unlocked device, you need to go through the manufacturer directly.

Hope this clarifies it.