Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month.

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month.

Since my emails to fido have not directly answered my questions, maybe someone here could elaborate on how this plan actually works?

What does "Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month.  Enjoy as many calls as you want to anywhere in Canada for one low price"   actually include and how does it actually work?

IE.  If I call from my "zone" to a Canadian long distance number what does it cost me if I have this plan? 

Do I use up my airtime if it is unlimited as described in the header?

If I do use up airtime, then what is unlimited actually referring to?

If I call from outside my "zone" to a Canadian long distance number what does it cost me if I have this plan?

Do I use up my airtime if it is unlimited as described in the header?

The customer service rep just re-iterated the same comments as at the website, but I want to know what do I get from this add-on and how it actually works!

The website is as clear as mud!

Thanks for anyone's help in advance.

Accepted Solution

Re: Unlimited Canadian Long Distance — $20 per month.

Hi,

The Canadian long distance option eliminates the additional charges that would normally be associated with:

1) making an outgoing call when you are physically in Canada to another Canadian number, and the person you are calling is geographically far enough away for that call to count as a long distance call and not a local outgoing call

2) taking an incoming call when you are physically in Canada and you are using your phone outside of your local calling area

You do not need this feature if you are limiting yourself to only making outgoing local calls, which do not incur long distance charges. Example: Sara has the basic $25 plan with 100 mins/evenings starting at 7pm and unlimited canadian text. She lives in Toronto but is visiting Vancouver for a few days. Any incoming call she takes while in Vancouver would result in long distance charges, as well as calls that she makes back to Toronto would be long distance too. But if she is just calling her friend Mary, who is sipping a latte in the coffee shop across the street, that would not be a long distance call for Sara.

Without this option:

You have 100 minutes plan, and you make a long distance call from Vancouver to Toronto, 1 minute in length.

- You have 99 minutes of airtime remaining

- You will be charged 0.35 * 1 = 35 cents worth of additional long distance charges

With this option:

- The long distance charge of 35 cents is reduced to $0

The Unlimited Canadian long distance feature is ideal for people that have family that live far away. It is also perfect for people that need to travel around Canada (for their job, or just for the fun of it to enjoy the scenery)

NEW: City Fido plan customers can now add a different unlimited canadian long distance option for just $10!

Note: City Fido plans have zoned usage (your minutes are only usable within your zone). Any use outside of the zone will result in out of zone pay per use charges.

Fido also offers the Unlimited Canada/US long distance feature for $30 for those that need to make calls that originate in Canada to other Canadian or US numbers.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 13
Highlighted

I think it refers to distance charges only. but airtimes applies.

So if you make 200 mins of long distance calls during the day and you have 100 mins day time included in your plan, you still get charged 100 mins of local air times.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Basically what it means is that its unlimited LONG DISTANCE IN CANADA. 

i work for rogers so i know how to explain this.. 

If you have early evenings starting at 5 or 7 pm , anytime before then if you call somewhere OUTSIDE of your local calling area before your early evenings you'll be using your airtime minutes. ONCE you've used your airtime minutes and you're calling in the daytime

you're gonna be charged 35 cents per minute and because you have unlmited LD you wont be charged

so basically

before 5 or 7 pm and you have airtime miinutes you'll be using your minues

when you finish your minutes for the month you're charged airtime but you wont be charged LD minutes

i think its a really good plan .. but rogers has it for 35 dollars . unlimited LD minutes to canada AND THE STATES.

FIDO.. COME ON.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3
Solution

Hi,

The Canadian long distance option eliminates the additional charges that would normally be associated with:

1) making an outgoing call when you are physically in Canada to another Canadian number, and the person you are calling is geographically far enough away for that call to count as a long distance call and not a local outgoing call

2) taking an incoming call when you are physically in Canada and you are using your phone outside of your local calling area

You do not need this feature if you are limiting yourself to only making outgoing local calls, which do not incur long distance charges. Example: Sara has the basic $25 plan with 100 mins/evenings starting at 7pm and unlimited canadian text. She lives in Toronto but is visiting Vancouver for a few days. Any incoming call she takes while in Vancouver would result in long distance charges, as well as calls that she makes back to Toronto would be long distance too. But if she is just calling her friend Mary, who is sipping a latte in the coffee shop across the street, that would not be a long distance call for Sara.

Without this option:

You have 100 minutes plan, and you make a long distance call from Vancouver to Toronto, 1 minute in length.

- You will be charged 0.35 * 1 = 35 cents worth of additional long distance charges

With this option:

- The long distance charge of 35 cents is reduced to $0

The Unlimited Canadian long distance feature is ideal for people that have family that live far away. It is also perfect for people that need to travel around Canada (for their job, or just for the fun of it to enjoy the scenery)

NEW: City Fido plan customers can now add a different unlimited canadian long distance option for just $10!

Note: City Fido plans have zoned usage (your minutes are only usable within your zone). Any use outside of the zone will result in out of zone pay per use charges.

Fido also offers the Unlimited Canada/US long distance feature for $30 for those that need to make calls that originate in Canada to other Canadian or US numbers.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2

the cost of these plans are excessive, I'd never pay more than $5-$10 for Canadian long distance.

Fido and Rogers are bleeding you dry.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Perhaps you can inquire if there is a cheaper long distance option that might better suit your needs?

Be sure to click Likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as a Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 13
Highlighted

That really depends how much long distance you use. They're pretty good bargains for people who rack up more LD than local.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 13
Highlighted

All I pay is $3.95 a month with the WorldLine. It is totally legal and very convenient not to mention very affordable. And you can assign two phone lines to the same acount. So that option brings the price down to less than $2 per month.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Simply put, with the 20$ option you can consider Canada as your local zone. No worries as to Canadian long-distance fees. Also, I find 20$ more then reasonable when you look at Bell and Telus that charge 40$ for the exact same thing.

As for cheaper options, there's the 5$ option to have a long-distance rate of 10¢/minute, which is good if you make between 15 and 150 minutes of long-distance.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

but yes, it should read "unlimited Canadian long distance - $ 20 per month plus cost of local minutes" to be truthful.

If you look at Mobilicity or Wind, they have much more affordable true unlimited plans for canada or US wide calling.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 13