Unexplained data usage increase

I'm a Participant Level 2 charsie
I'm a Participant Level 2

Unexplained data usage increase

I have been with fido for a few years.  My old plan 55 had 2G B of data, and I never came close to using that 2 GB.  I have a new iPhone and I switched plans (stupidly) to get roam, and immediately I had used 1GB and was charged for overusage.  I phoned and was told I would get 50% back, which never happened.  I switched plans again to have 2 GB - and now I have a message saying I am at 90% useage, and there re another 12 days left until the new month kicks in.  I am not doing ANYTHING differently than I was this time last year. I don't stream music.  Spotify etc are all on "wifi only".  I can't see how to stop the weather network which I don't want and didn't ask for from running in the background, but I doubt it would cause this much trouble.  WTF is going on?  My phone is unlocked. Unless someone can help- me, next time I 'switch plans' it isn't going to be a new plan with fido!  I can't waste any more time trying to get "the right plan" when my use of the phone hasn't changed, but the usage has - dramatically???

Accepted Solution

Re: Unexplained data usage increase

@charsie i'm not an iphone user so bare with me as I might not know the interface off the top of my head.

It could be the phone was syncing all the iCloud stuff to the new phone so you should also look into what is being sync and how it is syncing. If WiFi assist was enabled and you have disabled it now we wait and monitor the usage to see if that was the cause. You can monitor your data usage from the Fido My Account app or you can login to the My Account on Fido.ca to see the usage, be aware that the usage could be delayed up to 6hrs.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 8
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@charsie Its actually a common problem with iPhone users using alot of data when they did not change anything. You said you got a new iPhone check your settings and make sure WiFi Assist is turned off.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 8

OK I've done that, do you have any other suggestions?  Up until two months ago my husband has never gone over 1 gb and he now has 2.1 gb used, with 12 days left.  What is up?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 8
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@charsie Was Wi-Fi assist enabled?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1
Solution

@charsie i'm not an iphone user so bare with me as I might not know the interface off the top of my head.

It could be the phone was syncing all the iCloud stuff to the new phone so you should also look into what is being sync and how it is syncing. If WiFi assist was enabled and you have disabled it now we wait and monitor the usage to see if that was the cause. You can monitor your data usage from the Fido My Account app or you can login to the My Account on Fido.ca to see the usage, be aware that the usage could be delayed up to 6hrs.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 8

It was indeed, and it is now turned off.  I called *611 for more help and the lovely girl at the end of the line offered up a couple of more suggetions, i.e. turn off background app refresher - don't update software unless I am on wifi, etc.  I think things will greatly improve.  Thanks all.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 8
I'm a Legend Level 1
I'm a Legend Level 1

@charsie No problem i'm glad we resolved your problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 8
I'm a Participant Level 1 Unicordian
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi.,this happened to me as well when I got a new iPhone. Turns out the “WiFi assist” button was turned on which meant I was going through data way faster then I should have been. And yep, I had to pay for the over use charges.. 

if you go into settings you’ll find the data assist button under cellular settings at the very bottom. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 8