Unexpected data usage $25 Overcharge

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Unexpected data usage $25 Overcharge

My plan includes 2GB per month. And several months ago, Fido offered me 2GB bonus. So, I had 4GB data per month during the bonus period. However, this 2GB bonus was expired at the begining of October which I was not aware of. 

I checked Fido app almost daily, also, I checked Fido online acount regularly.

During the entire billing cycle, the app and online account all suggested me that I have 4GB included. 

So, I did not pay attention of the expiration of the bonus data as I expected the app and online account should provide me correct information updates. But, they did not.

I used 5GB data (including 2GB Fido Pulse data). And I was charged $25 for the extra 1GB (5GB - 2GB - 2GB). 

I do not feel comfortable since it was a charge which I had never expected.

And I do not like the fact that both the FIDO APP and Online Account lied to me.

Did anyone see the same issue (APP and Online Account did not update included data information after the expiration of bonus data)? 

** Edited to add labels **

** Edited title **

Accepted Solution

Re: Unexpected data usage $25 Overcharge

I do understand what you said that "the expiry via bill message, and it was also mentioned in the text that was sent out to you when we first offered the bonus". 

I did receive a text message telling me about the bonus period. I should be more careful on that. 

But my question is that both the Fido APP and My Online Account suggested me I had 4GB included. 

So, I have three ways to know data included in my plan:1) text message 2) Fido APP, 3) Online Account details. 

2 out of these 3 things were suggesting I was OK, I had 4GB included. 

How should I not believe it? 

Are information in Fido APP and Online Account not trustable? 

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi Siegel! 

Welcome to the Community! Smiley 

From what I understand you went over the 4GB (2GB + 2GB bonus) by 1GB and you were charged $25 for that 1GB of over usage.  

If so, you can monitor your usage through the app to make sure that you don't go over what's included in your plan to avoid over usage fees. You can also see the over usage rate on fido.ca in your My Account under the Services tab. 

Can you clarify what you mean when you say the app lied to you? Thanks! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7
Highlighted

Hi, Megan

I think you did not read my description clearly. 

I used 5GB in total. but 2GB out of this 5GB were used during FidoPulse hours (5 free hours a month). 

So, I actually used 3GB out of 5GB from my normal monthly plan. 

But the Fido APP and online account always told me I had 4GB included. So it gave me an impression that I did not reach my usage yet. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7
Highlighted

Thanks for clarifying @Siegel!

Data used during a Data Bytes session will not show up in the usage indicator on the app, as it's not using data that is part of your plan. In terms of the bonus expiring, we do advise you of the expiry via bill message, and it was also mentioned in the text that was sent out to you when we first offered the bonus.

Where exactly did you see that there were 2GB used for Data Bytes? Was it on the bill itself?

Let us know and we'll go from there!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted

Thanks Nick for your reply. 

Interesting, cause my bill does show my Data Bytes usages. Please refer to the snapshot of my bill. Screenshot_20171120-185700.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7
Highlighted

Thanks! That really helps Smiley The billed data usage shown there is not part of Data Bytes usage. The app will not calculate Data Bytes usage as part of your monthly allotment.

Based on the screencap, it looks as if you have 2GB in your plan and you went over by 1.01GB so you were billed $25. It also seems like your 2GB bonus expired as the cycle started so you did not benefit from it that cycle.

I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look at things though Smiley See you there!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Solution

I do understand what you said that "the expiry via bill message, and it was also mentioned in the text that was sent out to you when we first offered the bonus". 

I did receive a text message telling me about the bonus period. I should be more careful on that. 

But my question is that both the Fido APP and My Online Account suggested me I had 4GB included. 

So, I have three ways to know data included in my plan:1) text message 2) Fido APP, 3) Online Account details. 

2 out of these 3 things were suggesting I was OK, I had 4GB included. 

How should I not believe it? 

Are information in Fido APP and Online Account not trustable? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7