Unable to receive Google SMS verification codes

isap1
I'm a Participant Level 3

I was able to receive Google SMS verification codes until yesterday. I did many changes to my Google account and therefore was sent many SMS via shortcodes from them and at some point Fido started blocking them. Now I can't get into my Google Account without a code to enable the a second backup phone or anything. 

I've turned the phone on and off. I've turned Wifi off. I've called Fido and they "reset" my SMS messages. Nothing is working. Is it possible for Fido to unblock SMS messages coming from Googgle (22000)?

And yes, I can receive any other verification codes from other places and can any other SMS from friends.

Please HELP!

22 REPLIES 22
pdebruynkops
I'm a Participant Level 1

I am also having the same problem, no verification codes from Google make it through to me. I can send and receive SMS no problem, if anyone has a fix..that would be great. Seems this is a Fido issue, I haven't had any SMS problems with Koodo.

Hey @pdebruynkops,

Can you confirm if it is also for the shortcode number (22000)? 

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hello @isap1,

Welcome to the community!

Did you setup a backup code that you can use to gain access to your account?

Try disabling WiFi then try to have the code sent again and see if it will work.

isap1

Thanks for the reply.

I was about to set up backup codes and Google Authentificator on my phone but and in order to do that, Google sent me a verification code to get into my security settings but my phone right then and there decided to not receive Google's SMS's anymore. Just my luck!

And yes I did turn off Wifi and tried re-sending a code and it didn't work. I even called Fido but the customer service rep was not able to help.

I think Fido is blocking SMS shortcodes?

@isap1 Fido do not block text from shortcodes. 

Another way you should be able to access your account is through the recovery method select forgot password and answer the verification questions and you should be able to get access to your account until we figure out why you are not receiving the text.

If you get access to your account you can verify the phone number is correct, by any chance did you just port your number to Fido? Porting can cause issues receiving the text.

isap1

I do have access to my google account at the moment. Gmail, etc. But if I want to go into my Google account settings and add a security measure for example, it does try and send me a verification code to go any further. 

The phone number is correct. I did send Google an email detailing this issue but haven't heard back yet.

Once I log out of my Google account, it will also ask for a verification code next time I try and log in so I better figure this out before I log out of anything. Now I realise how it's always better to generate multiple ways of verifying your account in case something is not working with your phone.

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey isap1!

You should definitely be receiving those verification codes!

Let's take a closer look into that together. 

I'll be sending you a PM shortly. Smiley

Thanks for keeping us posted, @isap1!

Would it be possible to reply to our PM so we can check out your account?

isap1

@FidoClaudia

I totally didn't notice that PM. Ok I PM'ed back.

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Thanks so much @isap1 ! We'll get back to you very soon! 

slushpump
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have the same problem on a new activation of a BB Z30 with an area code 437.  I can receive SMS from other phones but not from Google's authentication mechanism.    They should be able to send me a 6-digit code; these come from "22000".

How was this previous problem resolved, please?

Hi there @slushpump!

All shortcodes registered here will work with Canadian carriers and should be received. If however the code is not on that list, it will not work.

Are you certain it's being sent from 22000? Also, is there another way you can authenticate, such as a phone call for example?

Let us know Smiley

slushpump

I have verified on another device that the "sender" shown for these messages is "22000".

I don't know if that is a "short code" 22000, or not, sorry, but that's how these show upon receipt.

I have also tried sending a message to the phone using "afreesms.com", but it too did not come through.  Here's the details of the message I sent:

Text Message ID: KECQOV6C35UP1SBDIF60626G06  
Server DateTime: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 14:29:30 -0400
Destination Number:   +1 xxx-xxx-xxxx
SMS Message Type: Normal SMS (GSM alphabet)
Text Message:
test from afreesms.com

fyi:  I tried disabling wifi as suggested in a previousl forum posting, but it did not help. http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/v4/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/page/2/thread-id/22178

How was this previous problem fixed, please?   http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/28005#M28005

***Edited to remove personal info***

slushpump

btw: 22000 *is* on the list of short codes that should work.  http://www.txt.ca/en/current-short-code-programs/

It shows as Google.

Thanks for clarifying @slushpump , sending you a PM so we can look into it Smiley .

HereIsMe

Hello, there. I am having the same issue. I am not able to change my recovery phone number to the fido sim I have. Please can you help me with this?

Hey @HereIsMe

Can you clarify which number you are trying to change to your recovery number? Your Google account is linked to a non-Fido number at the moment?

HereIsMe

@FidoRanya wrote:

Hey @HereIsMe

Can you clarify which number you are trying to change to your recovery number? Your Google account is linked to a non-Fido number at the moment?

Hello, I cannot give my full phone number in such a public forum but I will say that the number starts with 236 as an area code. I have PM'd you my full phone number.

We'll help you out in PM @HereIsMe! Smiley 

GKMW
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

I added my FIDO number to two step verification process and I am not receiving the SMS with the code. However if I change the option to send it in call it works. But there is an mail acoount to which I have no access where I can not update the code to be sent as call or I dont have backup codes, and thus locked out of. Please give me a solution as I really need access to my locked account.

Thank you in advance

*** Edited title ***