Unable to change password on the new Fido.ca site

SOLVED
kr6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Yet another issue on the fido.ca site. I am unable to change my password. I was redirected to a non-https site from my old bookmark and I would like to change my password for security reasons. I am using a password generator for my passwords, which does contains letters, numbers and special charaters. The fido.ca site keeps reporting "Please include at least 1 number and 1 letter." Can someone provide the character restriction for fido.ca passwords. It would also help if this information was listed in the change password dialog popup (I really, really hate dislike popups).

Accepted Solution

Re: Unable to change password on the new Fido.ca site

Solved by I'm Helpful Level 1

@afterthefact

Thanks for taking to time to look into this issue. I did some testing myself and determine that the password validator (prob set to the default) does not conform to the acceptable login password. These are the characters that are NOT accepted by the password validator when changing password ~`()_-+=|\,?/

Suprisingly, not even _ (underscore) and - (dash or minus) are accepted. My original password contained a ? (question mark) which work perfectly fine for logging in. However, if I add a ? (question mark) to my new password, it failed.

Here are a few hints to the web developers to make the change password process more user friendly:

1. The warning/error which states "Please include at least 1 number and 1 letter." is incorrect when invalid charaters are entered. An appropriate warning would be to list the characters that are NOT allowed.

2. Validate the password while typing. The password is validated only after exiting (clicking out of) the new password box (object).

3. Update the password validator to only restrict characters that actually cannot be used. There is no reason to exclude _ and -.

View solution in context
9 REPLIES 9
afterthefact
Fido Employee

Hi Kr6. 

I suggest not using any bookmarks to old fido.ca content pages, that might be what the problem is. 

Here are the steps you should follow:

Go to www.fido.ca

Select MyAccount

In the Log In page, select Forgot Password

Enter the CTN associated with your account.

Select Continue

Follow the instructions to reset your password.

If it doesn't work, please come back and let us know exactly at which step you had problems.  Good luck!

kr6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:
1. Go to www.fido.ca
2. Click login in the top right
3. Log in with my phone number and password
4. Click Profile in the top menu (below the Fido yellow banner)
5. Click the pencil beside Password on the left
6. Enter existing password in the "Existing password" field
7. Enter a randomly generated password in the "New password field"
8. The warning "Please include at least 1 number and 1 letter." is displayed and unable to change password.

Hi kr6

Thanks for the clarification.

I followed the identical steps you did and tried to change my own personal password on fido.ca

I did not encounter the same error, meaning I was able to successfully change my own password using the steps from your reply above.  For reference, my own new password is 8 characters in length with at least 1 number/digit.  I do not have the actual system specifications for password configuration but here are somethings we can look at to help troubleshoot:

1. Are you using any special characters (ex. ^%@#&!~)

2. Is your password exceptionally long (ex. greater than 16 characters) or exceptionally short (ex. less than 6 characters)

3. Have you tried different passwords as your new password? Or is it the same new password you keep trying to use?

Let us know the answers to above questions so we can further troubleshoot. 

kr6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@afterthefact

It took some time to reply to your message because the site is majorly broken. The forum was in an endless loop when trying to reply to your message. I had to clear cache, cookies and login agian to access to forum.

But to keep this thread on topic, here are answers to your question:

1. Yes. The password generator is set to use letters, numbers and special characters (just like my existing password which includes some of the characters you specified).

2. My existing and new passwords are exactly 16 characters long

3. I stopped counting about about 10 differently randomly generated password based on the conditions in item 1 above.

Hope that helps.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey! I know some users are having trouble with certain browsers @kr6, can you try with a different one? 

kr6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@FidoRachel

The password issue is not browser related. The steps outlined above produce the same password problem on Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome and even my BlackBerry Browser (though I get a popup that my BlackBerry Browser is NOT current).

@kr6

Hello, and sorry it took some time to get back to you.  I did some additional tests over the weekend for your situation.  Please see details below.

Test 1 = Special Characters

I was able to successfully change my password to include at least 2 different special characters.

Test 2 = Password Length

I was able to successfully change my password to be 16 characters long.

Therefore my conclusion is that I am unable to reproduce the issue you are having.  I suspect your problem may be one of the below issues:

1- your password generator application is malfunctioning.  FIX:  try inputting a password manually.  We cannot troubleshoot your password generator.

2- there is a special character that is not accepted.  FIX: try inputting a password manually, that way you know which special characters are trying to be used.

I wish I could be more help but I really cannot reproduce the problem you are having so I am suggesting the above workarounds to help you out.  Good luck!

kr6
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@afterthefact

Thanks for taking to time to look into this issue. I did some testing myself and determine that the password validator (prob set to the default) does not conform to the acceptable login password. These are the characters that are NOT accepted by the password validator when changing password ~`()_-+=|\,?/

Suprisingly, not even _ (underscore) and - (dash or minus) are accepted. My original password contained a ? (question mark) which work perfectly fine for logging in. However, if I add a ? (question mark) to my new password, it failed.

Here are a few hints to the web developers to make the change password process more user friendly:

1. The warning/error which states "Please include at least 1 number and 1 letter." is incorrect when invalid charaters are entered. An appropriate warning would be to list the characters that are NOT allowed.

2. Validate the password while typing. The password is validated only after exiting (clicking out of) the new password box (object).

3. Update the password validator to only restrict characters that actually cannot be used. There is no reason to exclude _ and -.

@kr6 I agree 100% with your feedback.  I will pass on your comments to the web development team.  Appreciate your patience in getting this sorted out.