US Travel Pack

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

US Travel Pack

finding the $20 US talk and text travel pack is very difficult....website keeps direxcting me to roam although I sdpecifically request this pack.

Where is this option on the website in my account

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 22
Highlighted

Re: US Travel Pack

Hey @3830764,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

Travel Packs are no longer offered. Not to worry though, you can now benefit from our great Fido Roam option with any plan, not just a Pulse plan!

With over 90 percent of our customers’ roaming usage happening in the 125+ destinations where Fido Roam is available, we believe that this service has proven to offer better value for our customers over travel packs.

Check out all de details here.

Let me know if you have questions Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 22
Highlighted

so now under my normal use I pay105 per month instead of $20....I am on my way away from Rogers soon.

No need to respond. Thanks Caludia.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 22
Highlighted

I hear you! There is also the option of opting out of Fido Roam and use your phone at pay per use rates if it's more beneficial for you. 

You can easily access Pay-per-use rates from the travel section of the Fido MyAccount app or by visiting our website. The welcome SMS message when you land in a destination that is not included in Fido Roam also gives a reminder of our standard pay-per-use rates.

This being said, we really wouldn't want to see you go Sad

I'll send you a PM to take a closer look at everything with you.

Talk soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 22
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hello,

I am equally dismayed at Fido's removal of Travel Packs and having Fido reps tout the supposed amazing service that is Fido Roam. So here is my question, virtually the same as the OP. I am traveling to the US for two weeks and used to purchase the 20$ US Travel Pack (valid for 30-days) which offered me: 100 texts and 25 mins. I have added this option for several summers now, and 20$ is more than reasonable. I don't use data, in fact it's disabled on my device.

Now, Fido exultantly wants clients to pay a 7$ (per day) fee x 12 days (length of my trip) which would be 84.00$ +tx.

I used to use close to those 100 texts, which now at pay-per-use would be 75.00$. This isn't even including the phone calls, as the TP included 25 minutes....

Please, PLEASE explain the rationale behind this service? Please explain how to get around this potential cost, without suggesting we simply opt-out and pay the regular pay-per-use price over the length of our trip?

Thank you

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 22
Highlighted

Hey there @Breeze_S,

Thanks for sharing your concern :).

As mentioned, Fido customers currently have 2 roaming options available by using Fido Roam, or by disabling it to choose pay per use rates. We do stress the advantage that Fido Roam gives you and I'll try to clarify why.

Based on the USA rates found here, Fido Roam will bill you $7 pay day only when you make a usage for a maximum of 15 days ($105) per billing cycle. Your daily fee will be good for a 24 hour period and would include calls, texts and data (based on what's available in your current plan). You can also find all the details about this feature here

For limited usage, going with pay per use charges may sound like the better option but this will actually depend on the total usage done. The pros with Fido Roam is the flexibility that it offers you in regards to how you choose to use your phone while travelling.

1. You are in no way obliged to use your phone 15 days in each billing cycle
  2. For emergency calls/usage, Fido Roam remains the better option. Having one flat fee to make all the necessary urgent communications in one day gives you one less thing to worry about.
  3. If compared to the previous travel pack with 100 texts and 25 minutes at $20, the same usage or more can be done in one single day for a single $7 fee.

On that note, I can also share my personal experience using Fido Roam when the travel packs still existed. While on vacation I would have airplane mode enabled, and I would avoid using my phone for communications as much as possible to enjoy my free time. Personal preference.

Turning on my device on the weekend for one day would provide me with all the usage needed to text and call family and friends. The usage done in that single day could not be covered by a travel pack. As it would include a pay per use rate once you exceeded the text and airtime buckets included, Fido Roam would provide me with more usage and a cheaper option.

All in all, whichever option you choose to go with, you simply need to keep in mind that Fido Roam bills you based on the number of days used, while pay per use rates bills you based on the total usage done.

Let is know if you have any questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 22
Highlighted

Hi FidoSaad,

Thank you for your reply. I do have a question. Are you kidding?

For limited usage, going with pay per use charges may sound like the better option but this will actually depend on the total usage done. Obviously the costs depends on the usage, and that's the point most of us have been trying to make these past few months. We will be in the States for 12 days beginning next week, and send on average 2-5 texts per day. I likely won't make any calls and plan on receiving as many texts as I need.

So please answer this, if you (or anyone at Fido can). How will billing me 7$ x 12 days = 84$ even come close to what I used to be offered: 20$ Travel Pack valid for 30-days, allowing me 100 outgoing texts and 25 mins of voice calls. How does this even come close?

Suggesting we save all our messaging and calls for 1 or 2 days is almost laughable as a solution. Especially after reading through so many posts lamenting the same thing, that the solution Fido keeps coming up with is to pay-per-use, turn off your phone, or just *accept* the glorious feature of FidoRoam and after being gouged 7$ a day, why not go all out and just use your phone as much as you want!?

Truthfully, is there anyone at Fido willing to honestly address the issue here?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 22
Highlighted

I assure you that we're fully addressing your concerns @Breeze_S,  

My reply is as serious as can be, and I'm glad that we agree that your pay per use cost will depend on your usage. This is the main difference with Fido Roam. The former bills you based on your total usage and the latter based on the total days used. Hopefully this answers your question as both options do not offer the same coverage.

So it all comes down to which option you prefer, as these are currently the only 2 options available with us. I understand that the previous travel pack was conveniently suited to your needs, but as we do no offer it anymore we can only work with what's available.

We're here to offer as much information on the options we have and to offer suggestions that we think might help you. Keep in mind that what you deem as the best solution will be based on what better suits your needs.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 22
Highlighted
I'm Experienced Level 1
I'm Experienced Level 1

u have two options:

1: use fido roam rates:

2: use usa simcard, call forward (fido number to usa number), which u can get in london drugs

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 22
Highlighted

Alright, so we've had Fido disable the FidoRoam option which means we will only have access to pay-per-use rates.

Should, say, we find ourselves in a position to want to pay the 7$ for 24h, how can we re-activate access to the feature? Would there be a delay, on the network's end, if we reach customer care and ask to put FidoRoam back on. Equally, would there be a delay to turn back off again when we're ready? Can we request by phone, from the US?

Or, is there anyway way to self-manage the feature? This link does not cover the scenario, https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/fido-roam-faq

Thanks again!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 22