US Talk Text

US Talk Text

US Talk Text

SOLVED
wkingevp
I'm a Participant Level 2

US Talk Text

Mid January I, in good faith, purchased US TT to be used in event of family or other emergency with intent to renew after 30 days. Text worked only in presence of wifi. Spoke with rep I********* and was informed there was inadequate signal in my area, Palm Springs Palm Desert. Was given credit. Left stranded without any pack. Fido fails. No choice but to go burner phone route. Most disappointed with Fido service limitations.

Accepted Solution

Re: US Talk Text

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Wkingevp,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your phone while you were travelling. That said, any foreign SIM used in the US will be reliant on the local US cellular tower infostructure. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. In addition, service would be dependant on the compatibility of your phone's bands/frequencies with the US mobile providers. The only compatible US providers in the area are T-Mobile and AT&T.

Palm Springs Palm Desert.jpg

Taken from here.

Both Verizon and Sprint use CDMA networks for their voice and text. Your phone is unlikely compatible with CDMA.

@wkingevp wrote:

... Text worked only in presence of wifi....

Are you sure you were using SMS? The short-messaging service (SMS or texting) does not get sent/received via Wifi.

I understand you purchased the travel pack in good faith, however, it's the customers' responsibility to verify whether their phones are compatible with the networks in their travel destination as well as those networks' coverage. Again, Fido can only provide coverage in areas already covered by compatible mobile providers in other countries.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Wkingevp,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sorry to hear you had issues with your phone while you were travelling. That said, any foreign SIM used in the US will be reliant on the local US cellular tower infostructure. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally. In addition, service would be dependant on the compatibility of your phone's bands/frequencies with the US mobile providers. The only compatible US providers in the area are T-Mobile and AT&T.

Palm Springs Palm Desert.jpg

Taken from here.

Both Verizon and Sprint use CDMA networks for their voice and text. Your phone is unlikely compatible with CDMA.

@wkingevp wrote:

... Text worked only in presence of wifi....

Are you sure you were using SMS? The short-messaging service (SMS or texting) does not get sent/received via Wifi.

I understand you purchased the travel pack in good faith, however, it's the customers' responsibility to verify whether their phones are compatible with the networks in their travel destination as well as those networks' coverage. Again, Fido can only provide coverage in areas already covered by compatible mobile providers in other countries.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

wkingevp

My responsibility? I purchased the phone from Fido, was informed no assistance in configuring - just how to turn on and set entry password, and the plan from Fido, guess the small print, wherever it may be, trumps what is stated in consumer info in the sales pitch - for use in us, talk and text only. Obviously the SMS picked up sporadically. Strange but am surrounded by Canadians here, using cell phones with no difficulty through other reworks as Telus, Sask Tel, Bell us plans. Doesn't sound like Fido cares so will seek other options.

Hello again,

Yes, it is the customers' responsibility. You can't expect Fido to know where a customer intends to use the phone. It does work in the US, however, some regions of the US (or any country) won't have any cellular service. Is it Fido's fault there's no service in those areas even though there is service in other parts of the country? If you were visiting abroad, is it Fido's fault if your particular phone did not have their country's compatible bands or frequencies?

@wkingevp wrote:

...Strange but am surrounded by Canadians here, using cell phones with no difficulty through other reworks as Telus, Sask Tel, Bell us plans...

It's not really that strange... All of those providers you mentioned operate (or at least did operate at one time) a CDMA network. As such, most of their phones would be capable of using Verizon's (and/or Sprint's) CDMA network for voice and text. If you recall from the above screen capture I posted, Verizon had the better reviewed coverage in the area. Unfortunately, Fido/Rogers never operated a CDMA network so it's unlikely any of their phones would be compatible with CDMA.

If some of those other Canadians are using GSM or UMTS(WCDMA), they would be connecting to the same cellular towers to which your phone should be connecting. It's possible their phones' reception is better than your phone (independent of provider). It's not uncommon for different phone models to have differences in cellular reception. For example, a professor at Denmark's Aalborg University tested the performance of various mobile phone antennae (see here). I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from his data because Fido/Rogers uses mostly different bands/frequencies. However, it does illustrate the large differences between phone models. 

If you were able to send/receive text sporadically, I suspect you have already enabled roaming. However, you might verify that it was enabled. Some newer phones might automatically roam.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

wkingevp

Beyond imagination that No Fido compatible service available in population centre wherein Palm Springs located.

Hi @wkingevp & welcome to the Community!

We'd hate to see you go. Sad

I'd just like to clarify that we offer travel packs to help with the cost of roaming; we however are limited in terms of troubleshooting since you're no longer connected to the Fido network when roaming.

Let me know if you have any questions.