US Roaming - $7.99 charged in Canada

SOLVED
dreamer2
I'm a Participant Level 2

So this hapenned to me twice in 2015. Every time I got $7.99 Fido charge for 15 kb of data and 1 text message. :mansad::mansad::mansad::mansad:

It happens every time when I travel to Niagara falls Canada but never cross border. I never texted anyone and didn't use IMs during my trips. My data roaming is always turned off on my iPhone. When I call Fido they always tell me that I didn't have my roaming setting off, and I should know better, which makes me feel dumb.:mansad: They also state that I 'purchased' roaming ... and to make it even more confusing they say you get connected 'automatically' and charged automatically. They reversed the charge but why does this happen over and over?

Fido must have a glitch and the moment one connects to AT&T they charge for a non existent text message and 15 kb of data....

Is the only solution to turn on 'airplane mode' when in Niagara Falls, ON or Niagara on the lake, ON??????

there's a great article about this $7.99 charge issue:

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/rogers/fido-charging-iphone-data-roaming-setting-off/

Accepted Solution

Re: US Roaming - $7.99 charged in Canada

Solved by Former Moderator FidoManuel

Hey @dreamer2!

As @KAPABLE-K said, it's a good idea to disable the roaming if you are close to the boarder (but still on Canadian side). 

Some US towers can be stronger than the ones on our side of the boarder, your phone will most likely connect to the strongest one available. 

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with!

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
dreamer2
I'm a Participant Level 2

I always have roaming off on my iPhone. Calling Fido every time I drive not far from the border is a ridiculous idea. Easier to switch to Bell.

Hi @dreamer2!

We definitely don't want to see you go. We were made aware of this situation last year and it has since then been resolved. When was the last time that you were billed roaming while in Canada?

magnus74
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have just had this happen to me again on my last bill (March 2016). In the past the charges were reversed no questions asked based on my location close to the border in BC and it being a common issue. This weekend when I asked to have the charges reversed, I got a lot of attitude and said that I must have accepted the $7.99 roaming plan, which I never have done. I was told this would be the last time the charge would be reversed. I wonder what the person thought I used the grand total of 26KB of data that went through for?

Welcome to the community @magnus74! Smiley

Sorry if you didn't get the best experience when contacting us. The roaming issue was fixed but if you see anything that doesn't make sense, let us soon so we can take a peek into this. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP

Its not a glitch, it will always happen when you are close to the border if your phone can not find the Fido network and finds an American network that is stronger it will connect. The best way to stop this if you go to the border often is to have Fido disable romaing on Fido end.Another way is when you know you will be travelling to the border call Fido and let them know you will be going to the border and they can make your phone stay register on the Fido network only.

Hey @dreamer2!

As @KAPABLE-K said, it's a good idea to disable the roaming if you are close to the boarder (but still on Canadian side). 

Some US towers can be stronger than the ones on our side of the boarder, your phone will most likely connect to the strongest one available. 

@FidoManuel wrote:

Hey @dreamer2!

Hello,

I thought there was supposed to be a permanent solution to accidental roaming (see here). It was confirmed by @FidoAmanda here.

**edit** With regards to data usage in the US with roaming off, from what I read previously, it seems to be an issue on some iPhones even with airplane mode on (see here) and not restricted to Fido/Rogers. Unfortunately, I am not yet aware of a solution.**

Cheers

Looks like the soloution is not so permanent and what exactly is this accidental romaing soloution?