Trying to understand "Monthly Plans" vs "Smart Plans" vs "Pulse Plans"a

SOLVED
ALISHIBAZ
I'm a Contributor Level 3

So many plans and so confusing.

It's not really fair for me to ask anyone here to explain the differences between these plans. I'd sure appreciate that. But I'm really looking for help how to navigate the FIDO website to find that info for myself.

Let me show you one web page that I find incredibly inscrutible. Just take a look at this one. If I go to "fido.ca" and click on "shop" then on "plans", I get to this page:

https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group12

Take a look near the top of the page. Do you see the large word "PLANS"?

Do you see the line beneath that showing "Monthly Fees" of $35 and $40?

Now look at the next line. On the left hand side it says "Canada-Wide+ anytime minutes3" but to the right of that it appears to have two lines of text written over top of each other. I can't make out what it says. It is garbled.

It looks like it's saying "voice mail included" and over top of that are found the numbers 350 and 500. But because this text is written on top of those number, I can't really be sure what it says.

The worst part is this. Just suppose you want to know how "Monthly Plans" work. This web page really tells me nothing about that. There is no real information here. I can't understand what "Monthly Plans" are by reading this web site.

Excuse me for say so FIDO, but this web page is just awful.

I currently use the Prepaid plan "Pay by the Month" and I pay $35 at the start of the month and get 500 air time minutes. Now I can understand that.

I also get unlimited text messaging and unlimited evening and weekend calling between the hours of 5pm to 7am and on weekends from 5pm Friday night until 7 am Monday morning.

Now the previous sentence is something that makes sense to me. I understand that. It explains all about the "Prepaid Plan" Pay by the Month.

That is the kind of info I need to understand "Monthly Plans" vs "Smart Plans" vs "Pulse Plans".

Can anyone here please help me? I would most like to know where on the web site this info is explained.

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Trying to understand "Monthly Plans" vs "Smart Plans" vs "Pulse Plans&a

Solved by Former Moderator FidoMaria

Hi Alishibaz!

To answer your first question, the main difference between having a postpaid plan and a prepaid plan is the fact that with a monthly plan, you will receive an invoice each month, regardless of whether you have used your services or not. With a postpaid plan, you will be billed a month in advance, and any overage charges will appear on the next months' invoice. With a prepaid plan, you also pay for your monthly plan in advance, however any overage will be deducted from your airtime balance, and once that runs out, you will no longer be able to use your services until another refill is done.

In regards to why some will choose a prepaid plan over a postpaid plan, this choice is usually based on how often a person will use their phone. Another factor influencing the services included in postpaid plans and their pricing, is the fact that a subsidy can be received on a phone with a 2 year Tab24 Agreement, meaning that you can get a phone at a reduced cost. With prepaid plans, you would be required to purchase a phone at full price. Since we do not ''finance'' your phone when you are on a prepaid plan, more services can be added to the plan.

For question #4, you can scroll down to the bottom of the plan page, where you can see ''ALL PLANS INCLUDE'', followed by:

• UNLIMITED text, picture and video messages sent from Canada to Canadian wireless numbers
  • UNLIMITED evenings and weekends from 5 p.m. Canada-wide
  • Call Display
  • Circle Calling™ Canada-wide calls between subscribers on the same account

If you go over your minutes, you will be billed an overage rate/minute. With our current postpaid plans, the overage rate is $0.50/minute.

For question #6, here is the link to our postpaid plans: http://bit.ly/FidoPulsePlans . For prepaid plans, the link is here: http://bit.ly/1IrYnBl .

Finally, if you take a 2-year Tab24 agreement with a subsidized phone, should you decide to break your agreement, you would have to pay back the remaining balance of the phone. To calculate the remaining balance, you simply take the subsidy, divide it by the number of months in the agreement, and multiply by the the number of remaining months to the agreement. For example, if you take a phone and get a $400 subsidy, and decide to break the agreement after a year, the balance would be calculated as follows: $400/24 months x 12 months.

I hope this clarifies things for you! Smiley

Cheers!

View solution in context
26 REPLIES 26
AdamBeast
Fido Employee

I am very happy too that I could help Smiley 

And a small reminder, you need to pay tax when you purchase the voucher. Confused 

ALISHIBAZ

Hello FIDOAmandaN and AdamBeast,

Thank you both for your recent replies and the information you gave me. I have one other question about PostPaid accounts:

I recently converted from a prepaid account to the $35 monthly prepaid account.
I understand that if I ever use up all 500 of my airtime minutes before my next "Payment Date", I will be charged 45 cents per minute to make any calls on Weekdays from 7am to 5pm and that I will be required to have sufficient funds in my account to cover any calls I make under those conditions.

Can you please confirm that under those circumstance, I will still be able to use my phone and I still will be able to make unlimited calls on weekdays between 5pm and 7am and weekends from Fri 5pm until Mon 7am?

Also, I am looking at the following web page and considering changing to a PostPaid Monthly account:
http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group12

This web page is damaged and difficult to read. The line that reads "Canada-wide anytime minutes" seems to have two lines that appear on top of each other.
Under the $35 plan, it appears I would get either 250 or 350 airtime minutes. Very difficult to read.

But please answer me this:

Where can I find the answer to the question, "What happens after I use up my monthly airtime minutes on this PostPaid account?"
What rate would I be charged for the over-age minutes?

I understand I would be billed for those calls in the following billing period. But how much would I be charged and where can I find that info on your web site "fido.ca"?

Thanks very much

I would like to know the following two things:

1) What is the answer to that question?
2) Where can I find that spelled out on your web site?

Thanks very much.

Hello ALISHIBAZ,

To be able to keep on using the unlimited feature of your plan, you need to have funds in your prepaid account. Without funds, the service will not work.

For your postpaid questions:

1-Once you go over your minutes, you are charged at the rate of $0.50/minute.

2- You can see the information under ''See full details'' at the bottom of the page.

You have the link to access it here: http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans?cm_mmc=Redirects-_-External-_-Marketing-_-plans

Hope this helps! Smiley

ALISHIBAZ

50 cents per minute? Oh my gosh. That is so strange. You know, I've been told several different amounts for that same event.

One rep told me $0.40 Another told me $0.45 and you have told me $0.50. Is there perhaps several different events that are very similar and that trigger some different rates that are very similar?

I don't understand. But it seems to me that these amoutnt can differ quite a bit. Sorry but Thank You!

ALISHIBAZ

OK!

I think I figured it out. Since I signed up for the prepaid monthly plan of $35 per month,

FIDO will not accept any payments from my INTERAC card (via my bank account) if the amount is less than $35.

I tried to make a payment of $10 and it would not accept that. Then, I tried to make a payment of $20 and it would not accept that either.

But when I tried to make a payment of $100, it worked like a charm. I cancelled at the last moment but then I went back and made a payment of $50 and that worked fine too.

But there is a real problem here and I think it's serious. The problem is that FIDO does not say a word about this problem. When the unfortunate customer tried to make a payment of an amount that is less than $35, FIDO doesn't say a thing about some problem. It just activates my bank account but without any transaction listed and that is what has always happened in the past. So the customer is just left scratching their head and wondering what is wrong.

IMO, FIDO really needs to give the customer some kind of explanation. It's really unacceptable (I think) to just say nothing and carry on without ever making any deposit. It's not right!

Anyway, I would appreciate if someone who works for FIDO would pass along this report of this problem. I am pretty sure this is not acceptable and it needs to be repaired.

I just hope someone here will pass along this problem report to FIDO.

@ALISHIBAZ wrote:

OK!

I think I figured it out. Since I signed up for the prepaid monthly plan of $35 per month,

FIDO will not accept any payments from my INTERAC card (via my bank account) if the amount is less than $35.

I tried to make a payment of $10 and it would not accept that. Then, I tried to make a payment of $20 and it would not accept that either.

But when I tried to make a payment of $100, it worked like a charm. I cancelled at the last moment but then I went back and made a payment of $50 and that worked fine too.

But there is a real problem here and I think it's serious. The problem is that FIDO does not say a word about this problem. When the unfortunate customer tried to make a payment of an amount that is less than $35, FIDO doesn't say a thing about some problem. It just activates my bank account but without any transaction listed and that is what has always happened in the past. So the customer is just left scratching their head and wondering what is wrong.

IMO, FIDO really needs to give the customer some kind of explanation. It's really unacceptable (I think) to just say nothing and carry on without ever making any deposit. It's not right!

Anyway, I would appreciate if someone who works for FIDO would pass along this report of this problem. I am pretty sure this is not acceptable and it needs to be repaired.

I just hope someone here will pass along this problem report to FIDO.

May I ask what the message was when you tried to make the payment? 

ALISHIBAZ

Hello FidoMatt,

Thank you for trying to help me.

You asked what message was displayed. But I'm afraid that is no longer relevant because I have solved my problem myself. I have figured out what was going wrong and I posted about that in a previous post.

But you can help me with something else. I don't know if I'm ready to post about this now.

I think maybe I should experiment a little more offline and then come back when I'm certain that I know what is going wrong. But I'd l'd like to tell you the beginning of my problem. My problem is just in the understanding of the various postpaid plans.

Oh my gosh! There are just so many plans and I am so confused.

I am thinking of upgrading (if I can call it that) my current service which is prepaid $35 per month to some postpaid account.

When I try to examine the various plans, if I go to fido.ca and click on "Shop" and then on "Plans",  I get to this incredibly complicated (at least it is complicated to me). page:

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans

From this page, I can click on any one of four arrows that point to the right and I can then get to four different pages (actually I think there are only 3 different pages as two of them are identical. But let me give you the links here:

https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group1

https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group2

https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group3

My gosh! I am having trouble understanding these three pages. We might as well call them by the same name that the FIDO Internet system seems to call them. In other words: Group1, Group2 and Group3.

My problem is in trying to understand which of these applies when I bring my own phone and what it means to me when I bring my own phone. I am using a Nokia phone C1-011. I have been using this phone for many, many years n ow.

I'm afraid that I don't understand what it means if the phone is locked or unlocked. I believe it is unlocked because I bought it second- hand approx 12 years ago.

Could you please answer the following questions:

1) Why would FIDO want me to bring in my phone and why would they give me a lower price for services if I brought in my phone? Would FIDO take my phone and lock it if it was unlocked? Would they unlock it if it was locked?

Please excuse my ignorance but I just do not understand anything about phones being locked or unlocked as you can probably deduce from my questions.

2) Which of the three pages would apply to me? I currently have a prepaid service for $35 per month. Which of the three pages would best apply to me? There is one plan that is under the heading "Bring in your phone" and it is $36 per month. It is on the page for Group 3. It offers 500 minutes per month but no Data.

3) Can you explain about Data please? I don't understand anything about why some of these plans include Data and some don't. My limited understanding is that Data relates to using my phone to visit Internet pages. I have no idea whether my Nokia phone will support visiting Internet pages.

Oh dear. Matt. I just have no idea how to proceed. Can you help me please?

P.S. Matt, the pages at the FIDO site offer various prices and some include DATA and some don't. But for someone who has no idea what DATA means, wouldn't it be helpful if FIDO somewhere explained just what the concept of DATA means and what it means to customers who are trying to decide on a plan.

A customer like myself cannot really decide on a plan given  that I have no idea what DATA is about. I really have to ask why FIDO doesn't have a section of the web site that offers customers a basic explanation or tutorial as to just what DATA is about. Or perhaps they do and I just missed out seeing those pages. Can you tell me, if those pages exist, where might I find them?

Thank you, Matt.

Good morning, 

First off, Data is internet service, all our bring your own phone plans come with an amount of data you can use. Data is the amount of information you can have transfered through your phone on the internet if your phone is compatible. If your phone is 11 years old though, it is possible that it will not be compatible with the technologies we currently use. 

As for the plans, The bring your own phone plans are the same as the Smart plan but cheaper. Why you ask? because when you bring your own phone, we do not give you a discount on a phone, this means a lower cost for us and we give you something back by lowering the price of the plan. 

The prices that apply are the ones found in the Bring your own phone row on this page http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans

An unlocked phone means that it is not locked to one network. For example, if you buy a phone from us, it will be locked to our network. To use it on a different network you will need to have it unlocked. 

If you have a phone that you have been using on our network alrady, you do not have to change anything on it, it will work without a problem. 

ALISHIBAZ

Hi Matt,

Thank you so much for your excellent answer. I gave you a Like.

One question however,

If I bring my own phone, I assume my 11 year old phone won't really qualify since it doesn't have any capability to browse the net. So, can you tell me which would be better for me:

1) to buy my own "Smart Phone" elsewhere and then bring that in or ...

2) to buy a "Smart Phone" from FIDO?

If I was to buy a phone I would want to buy an Apple phone. Does FIDO sell those?

Hi ALISHIBAZ! Smiley

The choice is really yours. You can buy an unlocked phone elsewhere and bring it to Fido, purchase a phone at full price from Fido, or purchase a phone with a Tab24 2 year agreement with Fido. The last option would give you a discount on the phone, so it would be the best choice if you don't want to ''break the bank'' getting a new phone.

You should also keep in mind that if you purchase a phone elsewhere that is not a Fido phone, we cannot guarantee that all of our services will function properly, nor can we offer support.

Finally, we do sell Apple phones. You can view them here! > http://bit.ly/1Nuu2r0

Cheers!

I suppose you are using your own phone, then please visit this page and do a refresh: 

http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group3 

For a prepaid plan, anytime you trying to use any service that occurs a charge, and if your remaining balance is insufficient, your account will enter to "inactive" mode, which means you can not use your phone until your refill again. 

AdamBeast
Fido Employee

ALISHIBAZ

Hello Adam and thank you for trying to help me.

I have seen that page before and I must say that just like the other page has too little info on it, this one has far too much.

All I see there is a whole bunch of numbers all jumbled up together. I'm sorry to make it sound so bad. It really isn't that bad. But it doesn't answer any of the fundamental questions that I need to understand what I'm getting for my $35 and how things work. For example, I can't see any info that help me with the following questions:

1) What is the big difference between paying at the start of the month or end of the month?

2) Why do some people choose to pay $35 at the start of the month for the Prepaid Plan while others choose to pay $35 at the end of the month in the "Monthly Plan"?

3) For example, I only see "$35" once on that page and that is in the lower right quadrant. It seems to be near the number 250 for "Canada Wide Minutes".  Should I conclude that the $35 montly plan gives me 250 airtime minutes? That sure doesn't seem nearly as good as the 500 airtime minutes I currently get under my Prepaid $35 plan.

Why is there such a big difference? Can you tell me what advantages people get with the Monthly plan that makes it worthwhile to them go get only 250 minutes while someone with the prepaid account gets 500 minutes?

I'm sorry to appear so dim. But I honestly can't see where there is an explanation for any of these questions?

4) It doesn't say anything about text messages or Weekend or evening minutes. Shouldn't there be some info about how that works?

5) If I go over the 250 minutes, what happens? I don't expect you to explain that here. I just would like to know where I can go on the web site to find out the answers to these questions.

6) With the prepaid account, I don't have to agree to take it for any period longer than a month and I don't have to take a credit check. How can I tell which of the plans on this page require me to sign up for two years and which require a credit check?

7) If I sign up for two years, what happens if I need to break the agreement before the two years?

Adam, I fear I have many more questions. Really, I just want to know where I can find the explanation so I will understand the diff between these plans. How do they affect me differently? Mostly, I need to know how I will be charged for overages and other ways if I break the agreement. I'm not planning to break any agreement. But if I sign up for two years and then have to move out of the country, obviously I will have to break the agreement.

The page you directed me to has many, many numbers. But I don't undrestand how these various plans work. It seems to me this page is good as a reference source for people who understand all about how these various plans work. But I just can't understand any of that without an explanation as to how the varous plans work and how they differ from each other.

Thanks Adam.

Hi Alishibaz!

To answer your first question, the main difference between having a postpaid plan and a prepaid plan is the fact that with a monthly plan, you will receive an invoice each month, regardless of whether you have used your services or not. With a postpaid plan, you will be billed a month in advance, and any overage charges will appear on the next months' invoice. With a prepaid plan, you also pay for your monthly plan in advance, however any overage will be deducted from your airtime balance, and once that runs out, you will no longer be able to use your services until another refill is done.

In regards to why some will choose a prepaid plan over a postpaid plan, this choice is usually based on how often a person will use their phone. Another factor influencing the services included in postpaid plans and their pricing, is the fact that a subsidy can be received on a phone with a 2 year Tab24 Agreement, meaning that you can get a phone at a reduced cost. With prepaid plans, you would be required to purchase a phone at full price. Since we do not ''finance'' your phone when you are on a prepaid plan, more services can be added to the plan.

For question #4, you can scroll down to the bottom of the plan page, where you can see ''ALL PLANS INCLUDE'', followed by:

• UNLIMITED text, picture and video messages sent from Canada to Canadian wireless numbers
  • UNLIMITED evenings and weekends from 5 p.m. Canada-wide
  • Call Display
  • Circle Calling™ Canada-wide calls between subscribers on the same account

If you go over your minutes, you will be billed an overage rate/minute. With our current postpaid plans, the overage rate is $0.50/minute.

For question #6, here is the link to our postpaid plans: http://bit.ly/FidoPulsePlans . For prepaid plans, the link is here: http://bit.ly/1IrYnBl .

Finally, if you take a 2-year Tab24 agreement with a subsidized phone, should you decide to break your agreement, you would have to pay back the remaining balance of the phone. To calculate the remaining balance, you simply take the subsidy, divide it by the number of months in the agreement, and multiply by the the number of remaining months to the agreement. For example, if you take a phone and get a $400 subsidy, and decide to break the agreement after a year, the balance would be calculated as follows: $400/24 months x 12 months.

I hope this clarifies things for you! Smiley

Cheers!

gnickel
I'm a Participant Level 1

We just came back from SE Asia. All over Asia one has the option of buying minutes or data and just using it up before reloading. There is NO MONTHLY FEE for prepaid usage. This makes absolute sense to me and I wonder why our Canadian companies cannot offer that. If you were to use your phone seldom, you could just keep it topped up and use it once a month or not even and not have to keep paying for not using your phone. Are there any options like that in the works?

Hello Gnickel,

Welcome to the community!

I believe you're referring to prepaid pay-per-use service. There are some providers which still offer pay-per-use services. However, most (if not all) have expiring funds. That is, top-ups will provide access for a pre-determined length of time, usually 30 days but up to 365 days. If you top-up before the expiry date, any remaining funds would rollover to your next access period. If you do not top-up before the expiry date, any remaining funds would be lost. So while there is no monthly fee per se, you would be required to top-up regularly or lose your previous period's funds.

Fido recently removed their By the Minute pay-per-use plan. As a result of the rollover, people were accumulating rather large sums for their seldomly used phones. I understand it's a heated issue with some customers...

I am not aware of any provider offering indefinite access (ie non-expiring funds) to services. Unfortunately, I would also not expect the removal of expiry dates anytime soon.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ALISHIBAZ

Hello Fido Maria and thank you very much for trying to help me.

The info you provided is some of the very best any FIDO rep has ever provided me and I thank you very much for that. I still have some nagging doubts as to whether I understand how the whole picture works but thanks to you, I feel that I'm getting closer.

I still don't understand the meaning of "Pulse Plans" or "Talk Smart" Plans.

Please do not explain them to me in full detail. I fear that I'm not ready for that now. But, could you just please tell me a general overview? Perhaps just one sentence or so?

Postpaid

Prepaid

Plan type

Monthly Plan( inlcuding all standard plan, pulse smart plan, pulse max plan, flexible data only plan and wireless home phone plan)

By minute plan

By month plan

Is there any credit check to activate the servcie?

Yes

No

No

Is there a monthly invoice ( or bill ) ?

Yes

No

No

Possible to sign agreement in order to get a subsidized phone?

Yes

No

No

Do all fees must be paid in advance to use the service?

No

Yes

Yes

Is there a minimum Monthly fee required?

Yes

No (only 0.75$ 911 fee)

Yes

Postpaid plan is suggested for people who

1. want a subsidized phone;
  2. need a bill;
  3. talk or use data a lot;
  4. want to build up credit score;
  5. want to have a uninterrupted service even he/she made lot of over usage.

Prepaid plan is suggested for people who

1. have a very little usage of phone.
  2. cannot pass or don’t want to have a credit check.
  3. are seasonal users ( ex. half year in Canada, half year aboard)
  4. pay the minimum fee to keep a phone number, active or not.

Usually prepaid plans are more expensive than postpaid plans ( for same price range). 

But at this moment the 35$ 500 min prepaid plan seems a better deal than postpaid plan. 

"Pulse Plans" or "Talk Smart" Plans are just a name, to differ from old plans. 

ALISHIBAZ

AdamBeast,

Oh My Gosh!

Oh My Good Gosh!

Oh My Good Golly Gee Whiz Gosh!

I went to sleep last night dreaming that someone should create a chart that shows me a summary of the various plans and that they should do it in a way that would help me to understand.

And lookie here! Lookie lookie Cookie!

AdamBeast has done exactly that.

You know, sometimes I get to wishing that I could someone more than just one Like!

Adam! I wish I could give you TEN Likes! That was just a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful thing you did and I am truly amazed and my jaw is agape!

Translation? You did a fantastic thing and I am extremely grateful to you.

Anyway ... in all seriousness ... I just want to say thank you so very much to all the members of this forum because you have helped me understand these plans in a way that I never imagined you could do that.

I am now going to withdraw from this topic and go study this thread. Please excuse me for babbling away like a fool. I am just extremely happy and grateful that you have helped me in just exactly the way that I wanted to be helped.

I don't know if the moderators of this forum disapprove of people saying they will give a "Like" to certain members and I think there is a good chance that that might be frowned upon. As a result, I will now leave this thread and study the chart that Adam has produced.

Thank you all very much - once again!

P.S. I have upgraded my plan to the Prepaid $35 monthly so I get 500 minutes airtime every month and it is so wonderful because there is no tax on that $35. I couldn't believe that.

I am now considering an even better plan. I just want to tell you all that as far as buying a new phones goes, the one phone I would purchase would have to be an Apple phone. I can't imagine signing up for 24 months in order to buy a phone unless it is an Apple phone because it seems so clear that Apple phones are just heads and shoulders above all the others.

P.S. I just feel that I have so much to say. Please forgive me if I forgot to thank anyone. My head is swimming. I feel like I have so many things to say and so many people to thank.

Please forgive me if I got anything wrong. There is a very good chance that I have thanked the wrong person for doing something they didn't do and if that is the case, I am very sorry.

Yesterday morning, I was so confused and unhappy. But today I am very happy because you people really gave me some wonderful info and advice and I am very, very grateful.

Are you getting sick and tired of me saying "Thanks Again"? Well, I won't say it explicitly again. But you all know what I mean!

ALISHIBAZ

Oh Gosh,

It says to "add tag". I sure do wish I knew what a tag was. I am new to this style of forum and I have no idea what a "tag" means. I sure do wish I knew so that I could add one. Oh well.