Travelling to the states

Travelling to the states

Travelling to the states

SOLVED
andrewlbarber89
I'm a Participant Level 2

Travelling to the states

I am travelling to Florida and would like to know my options on using a Fido phone while I'm away.

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Travelling to the states

Solved by MVP MVP

@andrewlbarber89 if you have a Pulse Plan than you should have the Fido Roam feature and you can take advantage of that for your triup to Florida you can get full details here.

If you do not have a Pulse Plan then you can buy a travel pack details here.

View solution in context
5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello again,

Something else just came to mind...

You might consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. As this community member noted here, AT&T and T-Mobile's coverage at their destination was not impressive. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally.

I noted in that thread that it was the customers' responsibility to check whether their phones would work at their destination so it's only fair I mention it to you. I came across OpenSignal recently. They provide a more visual comparison of signal than the site I posted in the other thread. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information since it is crowdsourced. In general though, it does appear that Verizon has better coverage in some parts of Florida.

As noted in the other thread, Fido phones will unlikely work for voice/text on the Verizon network since they are CDMA-based rather than Fido/Rogers' GSM/UMTS-base. If you have an unlocked phone that does have CDMA frequencies, it may work on the Verizon network.

If your destination has adequate AT&T or T-Mobile network coverage, then your Fido phone should work without issue. However, if those networks do not adequately cover your destination(s), you might have to consider getting a temporary phone from Verizon.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello again,

I re-read your other thread here.

You should note that depending on your plan, the discussion in that thread regarding roaming and long distance may or may not be applicable.

If you do not have a Pulse plan and opt for a Travel pack or roam on a pay-per-use basis, then the information provided would apply. The roaming minutes include long distance (except to satellite phones).

On the other hand, if you have a Pulse plan, you will be travelling with Fido Roam. Fido Roam includes calls back to Canada as well as US numbers within your outgoing local calling area. However, calls to all other destinations will be charged as if you’re making them from Canada, as will messages, unless your plan includes international messages (taken from here).

It's a slight difference between the services of which you should be aware. Happy travels!!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Andrewbarber89,

Also to add to the above, if you do not have a Pulse plan, you can also opt to roam on a per-use basis. Rates are available on the link provide above.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP

@andrewlbarber89 if you have a Pulse Plan than you should have the Fido Roam feature and you can take advantage of that for your triup to Florida you can get full details here.

If you do not have a Pulse Plan then you can buy a travel pack details here.

Hi @andrewlbarber89

Just want to add to @KAPABLE-K's answer that you can also check whether or not you have Fido Roam by going to Services tab once you log in to My Account on Fido.ca. If you have it, it will show under MANAGE MY SERVICES.

We are here if you have any questions.

Have a sunny trip to Florida Smiley