Travelling abroad with travel pack - unable to make calls

Kesali
I'm a Participant Level 2

My daughter phoned 6 AM EST.  Her iPhone 5 is on a Fido Pulse Plan with a $10/day travel pack.  She's currently with a school group in Europe (Vimy area of France).  Her phone has worked fine for the past 3 days.  She had to use another girl's phone to call me this morning.  As of last night (europe time, about 3 PM our time) she has been unable to make phone calls, use her internet or even text. 

She has charged her phone.  Turned it off for about 5 minutes and then back on.  Another girl helped double-check that airplane mode is NOT on and that data roam IS on.  Unfortunately she woke me up and I was not thinking clearly enough to ask if her phone was showing signal bars and indicated FIDO.  Nor did I think to have her go into the settings and make sure the carrier still lists FIDO.

I have tried phoning her back but after 20 seconds of silence I just hear the fast unable to connect busy signal. I'm trying to reach the other girl in the meantime.

As my daughter has cognitive disabilities it's upsetting that she cannot reach me nor I her.  She will be in Europe for another 5 days.  Would anyone have any ideas on what could be happening or how to fix this? 

It just occured to me... on a travel pack, her phone should be able to pick up any mobile network and use it, correct?  Her friend's phone is also on a travel pack and had no issues phoning me...   Or is it limited to specific mobile networks and could be out of range?

** Edited to add labels **

5 REPLIES 5
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Kesali,

Welcome to the community!

From what I can tell, your daughter's phone should have all of the compatible 2G and '3G' bands/frequencies for use in France. However, her phone does not have any of the compatible bands/frequencies for using their LTE networks. That said, providing she is in an area of coverage, the 2G and '3G' networks should suffice for making/receiving calls, sending/receiving texts, and using data.

These are the French mobile providers affiliated with Fido.

France.jpg

Taken from here

I understand your daughter is using Fido Roam so the rates would not apply. However, the different providers would have differences in their coverages (see here). The information provided on Open Signal is crowd-sourced so it may not be completely accurate. You might consider asking your daughter's friend to try manually selecting the different provider networks to determine the one with the best signal.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Kesali

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back.  Going through my e-mail, I see I received notice of this on April 16th.  Ten days ago - ack.  

My daughter came back home on April 13th.  Unfortunately, although we were trying various things being suggested through private e-conversation, nothing worked.  Not even while she was in Paris on April 12, 13 and the morning of April 14th.  Paris being such a large city, I fully expected her phone would work again once the group arrived there, but it did not.  Only in Amsterdam did her phone work fully - phone calls and texting.

Of course, once she arrived at the Toronto airport and back on Fido's network, it worked fine...

I have to say I'm not thrilled with what happened.  Frankly I'm wondering if I will have problems with my phone now.  It's an iPhone 6S, updated fully to iOS 10.3.1.  Travelling to the Dominican Republic for a week.  I need to be able to talk with my kids and my parents. 

Hey @Kesali

Thank you for taking the time and sharing these updates. I just received your PM and will be replying to it right away. Smiley 

FidoChristina
Former Moderator

Hey @Kesali

I'm sending you a PM so we can look into this right away!

Kesali

Thank you!  Going to read it now.