Travel pack $95 for Europe Plus15 plan

SOLVED
maya8
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hi there, I bought a travel pack for Europe $95 and I have Plus15 plan. The Fido Rep has informed me that I will have for 30 days 200mins talking, unlimited texting and 500 MB data. I am wondering if I can call and text my family in Canada or it is only for the numbers in Europe . As well, the rep told me to restart the phone when I arrive to Europe and the add-ins will start.  Pls let me know. Thanks,

Accepted Solution

Re: Travel pack $95 for Europe Plus15 plan

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Maya8,

Welcome to the community!

@maya8 wrote:

I do not have a Pulse plan and I am not sure why the Fido rep has not told me about that. Does that mean that the plan I bought is useless now since I have a Plus15 plan?

No, the Plus15 is only the amount of subsidy towards a phone. Depending on which province you live in, there are some non-Pulse plans which also have Plus15 option. It is possible that your plan is indeed a non-Pulse plan with the Plus15 subsidy and therefore not eligible for Fido Roam.

The travel pack roaming minutes includes long-distance (except to satellite phones and toll-free numbers). As such, calls to Canada, US, or even overseas are included.

You might consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally.

You should be able to text your family back in Canada since received texts are free and that travel pack has unlimited text messages. One thing I'm not sure about is whether MMS is included in those unlimited messages. If they aren't included, they would be 50¢ per message sent plus data transmission charges for both sent and received messages.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
6 REPLIES 6
KAPABLE-K
MVP

Hello @maya8,

The travel pack would allow you to call back to Canada. Even though you bought the travel pack you still need to make sure that your phone is compatible with the available networks in Europe you also need to make sure roaming is turned on.

If you have a Pulse plan you should have Fido roam you can get more info about that here.

maya8

Thank you for the quick reply.

I do not have a Pulse plan and I am not sure why the Fido rep has not told me about that. Does that mean that the plan I bought is useless now since I have a Plus15 plan?

Hello Maya8,

@maya8 wrote:

No, the Plus15 is only the amount of subsidy towards a phone. Depending on which province you live in, there are some non-Pulse plans which also have Plus15 option. It is possible that your plan is indeed a non-Pulse plan with the Plus15 subsidy and therefore not eligible for Fido Roam.

The travel pack roaming minutes includes long-distance (except to satellite phones and toll-free numbers). As such, calls to Canada, US, or even overseas are included.

You might consider trying to get an idea of the local mobile networks' coverage at your destination. Mobile phones roam on the existing infrastructure at the destination. Fido's service cannot extend beyond what is available locally.

You should be able to text your family back in Canada since received texts are free and that travel pack has unlimited text messages. One thing I'm not sure about is whether MMS is included in those unlimited messages. If they aren't included, they would be 50¢ per message sent plus data transmission charges for both sent and received messages.

Have a great trip!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

maya8

Thank you Cawtau! 

I live in Ontario and my plan is non-Pulse plan (sent a msg to Roam). I have been totally missinformed by Fido Rep who never mentioned anything about roaming!! He only says 200 min talking, unlimited texting and 500MB data for 30 days is $95!!

I have to call them back and talk to a supervisor and it is pure waste of my time before my trip. 

Hello again,

I think there might be a little confusion with the terms Fido Roam and roaming. Roaming simply refers to using your device and SIM on a different network (ie using your Fido SIM and phone in Europe or the US). On the other hand, Fido Roam is the name of the service Pulse plan customers use when they use their devices on a different network.

Since non-Pulse plan customers are not eligible for the Fido Roam service, they can use their devices on another network with the purchase of a Travel Pack or on a pay-per-use basis. However, since the devices would be using a different network, it is still technically roaming.

So I believe the information the Fido Rep provided for your non-Pulse plan is correct -- you would have to purchase a Travel Pack (or use on a pay-per-use basis). There are other Travel Packs available here.

Hope this clarifies and helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @maya8

I'm sad to see that there was a misunderstanding about this option. This definitely doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want for any of our customers. I'll send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together.