Toll free numbers are not really free???

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 1

I made a lot of calls to a toll free 1-866 number. I've never exceeded my minutes and this month I got a shocker that the minutes are over by 250. When I called customer care, they said toll free numbers consume your minutes. I am so confused as to what 'toll free number' means? I may not have noticed it in the past but looks like Fido counts minutes for those. Is this normal?

May be its time to move elsewhere where toll free are really free.

Accepted Solution

Re: Toll free numbers are not really free???

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Pete2017,

Welcome to the community!

Toll free numbers simply means that there are no long distance charges associated with the calls. Airtime will always apply when calling any toll free numbers (see here). It's the same with any of the mobile providers. The only way to not incur airtime charges is to call them from landlines.

You should also be aware that some toll free numbers may include long distance charges when you are roaming outside of Canada (not included in Fido Roam or Travel packs) (see full details here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
2 REPLIES 2
Senior MVP

Hello Pete2017,

Welcome to the community!

Toll free numbers simply means that there are no long distance charges associated with the calls. Airtime will always apply when calling any toll free numbers (see here). It's the same with any of the mobile providers. The only way to not incur airtime charges is to call them from landlines.

You should also be aware that some toll free numbers may include long distance charges when you are roaming outside of Canada (not included in Fido Roam or Travel packs) (see full details here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I'm an Expert Level 2

Yes that is correct, Toll free means NO LONG DISTANCE, however Air time applies. but people get confused because they make toll free calls from their landline and dont get charged but whats different is their landlines have always had unlimited local calling, so making a toll free is just not a chargable call, most cellphone plans DO charge for air time, so your long distance is not charged, so yes it is Free of Toll Charges, but it will still use regular air time, which applies to most cellphone calls.

People like myself who have unlimited plans, will experience the same thing as if I called from my home phone, free of toll charges, that is, if I'm in canada on the fido network.