Third party charges

Third party charges

Third party charges

SOLVED
I'm Helpful Level 2

Third party charges

I've just reviewed my invoice for November and find a $10.00 charge from something called Oxygen8 for a service labelled *11222ringaling.tv

Has anyone ever heard of this before?  I have absolutely no idea what this is or why it's been charged to me.  I've tried calling the 866 number listed, but it's only a recording.  I don't know if I should call Fido customer service or if I have to find a way to get in touch with someone at this Oxygen8 outfit.

Any help or info is greatly appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Third party charges

Solved by I'm Helpful Level 2

Wow..I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening up!

Just to let you know, I did not contact Fido about this.  I went on the assumption that perhaps someone in my house "borrowed" the phone and, whether realizing it or not, signed up for this service.  I have not noticed the charge on subsequent invoices, so I'll again assume that when I contacted the web site to STOP sending texts, I was successful.

I understand that Fido is not responsible for third party charges nor are they obligated to reverse these charges, but if the problem had been ongoing, I would have certainly contacted Fido and asked for their assistance in clearing this matter up.  I don't surf on my phone and I do not fill in quizzes or questionnaires that require me to reveal personal information in order to get said quiz results.  It seems somewhat comical to me that Chellspecker not only took the quiz, but willingly provided her/his number to get the results.  There is more than enough information floating around in the ether that lets the masses know how these scams work. 

I think someone should come up with a common sense quiz....wonder how much money would be made then?

View solution in context
30 REPLIES 30
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'll be not surprised to find that this third parties belong to cell phone companies for makeing more money from their customers.

I was charged $16 for a subscription I've never made to MOTIME company third party;they just take randomly money from customers and it is nothing we can do because they blame you for using the cell in that matter and we have no way to prove we did not do it.It is so simple and easy to make a couple of millions with no efort.

Why in the world will you let somebody to charge customer through a cel phone company?!!!!!!!!!Why not to charge one of your account with the hydro company, or the utility company, or the satellite company,etc.

Because is not easy, you need to provide a lot of infomations, not just a cell phone number.

Until these cell companies are not forbiden to take charges from other thrid party we'll pay extra money all the time, does not matter wher you go:fido,rogers,telus,etc.

I just got the phone call from Fido informing me of a huge third party charge for this company ($89.00), and I have had no luck getting in touch with a live individual. Even the ringtone to get to customer service is a recording. I was informed that one has to email customercare.us@oxygen8.com. I am just as much in the dark as anyone, as to what this service is, and have yet to speak to anyone that does.

Days ago, I bought a new GAPS and as I registered the product from online, a page popped up to let me input my cell phone number. From then on, I began to receive premium messages from absolutely a third organization (not the GAPS company), which cost $1.25/PC. I tried to contact Fide representatives to cancel the charged premium MS service but a representative told me Fide system had problems so he could not check my status.

I was frustrated because every day I had to pay money for stupid megs and Fide can not help until I found some info from this forum to say just send "stop-message" to the text sending subscriber to cancel the service. It seemed working well. What I would like to say is Fide representative should know these things better but they simply forget to tell customers this. Do they get commissions from those third party organizations or what? 

I'm an Expert Level 2

short codes from the WEB require a DOUBLE opt in,  if your getting charged and you did NOT receive a message asking you to confirm subscription, then they are BREAKING CANADIAN LAW.  Not fido, but the short code company is breaking the law. I would hold them responsible to re-imburse you, there is a document on CWTA that states the rules for short code providers to follow.  I would strongly go after them. make it public, tell CTV News or City TV about this, put them in the spotlight.

I got charged $13 for a third party subscription to Jamster ($10 for the subscription + $3 for the download) that I never made... So we called Fido Customer Service who said they'd heard about the same problems from many many Fido Customers. They linked us to a Jamster representative who my Mom argued with for a bit, and we ended up getting a full refund.

Smiley

The exact same third party service just appeared on my February invoice to the tune of $20.00 or 4 X $5.00 charges. I also don't remember signing up for anything. I got these weird texts with the word "ringaling" in them, figured, they can't charge me for sending me texts, deleted them, and thought nothing of it. I now realize I must have signed up for something unknowingly.

I just got off the phone with Samantha, a lovely phone support rep for fido, accessed by calling 611 and navigating through to "inquiry about my invoice." I basically freaked out, without getting angry at fido, but at the companies who perpetrate these deceptive schemes. She said the same thing happened to her when a young relative borrowed her phone. I'm probably about as internet-savvy as a five-year-old on a bad day, so don't mind the comparison. She stated, "I don't know why they let these people operate," or words to that effect, understanding fully how easy it is to unwittingly sign up for something you don't realize is costing you five dollars per text. She agreed to reverse the charges, making a rather generous exception to their normal policy, and stated they wouldn't extend me this courtesy in future!

I outright refused to pay the charge, and would have probably cancelled my service altogether if she hadn't agreed to reverse it. I understand that legally I am in the wrong, and signed up of my own free will, but no one can dispute that these operations are specifically designed to confuse the consumer and trick them into signing up for charges they don't realize they are signing up for. You're surfing the net, come across some harmless IQ quiz, take the time to complete the **bleep** thing, and then enter your phone number as you realize it's suddenly the only way you'll find out how smart you are. The irony is that as they're tricking you into signing up for five dollar texts, they're telling you how smart you are. These people are laughing all the way to the bank. I agree with the Fido rep I spoke with that these operations should not be allowed to exist. They really don't give fair warning regarding the charges you are about to incur when you click the "FIND OUT YOUR IQ!" link.

Wow..I didn't realize what a can of worms I was opening up!

Just to let you know, I did not contact Fido about this.  I went on the assumption that perhaps someone in my house "borrowed" the phone and, whether realizing it or not, signed up for this service.  I have not noticed the charge on subsequent invoices, so I'll again assume that when I contacted the web site to STOP sending texts, I was successful.

I understand that Fido is not responsible for third party charges nor are they obligated to reverse these charges, but if the problem had been ongoing, I would have certainly contacted Fido and asked for their assistance in clearing this matter up.  I don't surf on my phone and I do not fill in quizzes or questionnaires that require me to reveal personal information in order to get said quiz results.  It seems somewhat comical to me that Chellspecker not only took the quiz, but willingly provided her/his number to get the results.  There is more than enough information floating around in the ether that lets the masses know how these scams work. 

I think someone should come up with a common sense quiz....wonder how much money would be made then?

I'm Helpful Level 3

Glad to hear that you now have resolved the issue, hopefully they didn't take you for to much..

I'm an Expert Level 2

found out who your getting charged by:
http://signal17.com/?f=info&id=6&country=14

Pay special attention to the following lines in that link:

13. For subscribers signed up via Internet or SMS, upon entering PIN in webpage or sending the designated keyword to the dedicated short code, a subscriber will receive the first question as acknowledgment of the successful registration for this service.

TheTrivia Game Subscription Service consists of (12) twelve questions per month (i.e. 3 questions per week) which will be text messaged to your mobile telephone

17. The costs forusing the Signal17 service are mentioned on this website under ‘FAQ’

19. This service isa subscription service. It will continue until the customer has unsubscribed.The customer will automatically enter the next promotion upon the expiry of theprevious promotion.

20. A subscriber canunsubscribe by sending a stop-message to the short code (E.g. SMS STOP to11222 ). For the exact details, pleasecheck the conditions or FAQ on the website or the relevant clause below.Another way to unsubscribe is to contact our customer service, by telephone or e-mail. Always mention the mobile phone number. The contact data can be found on the website in ‘Contact’.

21. To subscribe to the Signal17 service, please subscribe via Internet or via SMS. Via SMS, if you come across one of the Signal17-promotions on mass media you can subscribe by sending an SMS with the designated keyword to a shortcode. (e.g. SMS QUIZ to11222). Via Internet you can fill in your mobile phone number on the Signal17 landing pages.

22. After subscription via SMS, Signal17 clients will receive the first question as a confirmation of successful registration. Signal17 clients subscribed by Internet will receive a confirmation message which they first have to confirm.After a successful confirmation the first question would be sent to subscriber.(The Confirmation messages are free of charge).

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.
I'm Helpful Level 2

Thanks for the information, Paolo.  I have no idea how you found that link, as I looked for information and never saw this.  I still have no clue as to how my number was signed up and I'm assuming Fido will not reverse the charges for me, but I haven't called yet.

Again, thank you for your help Smiley

I'm Helpful Level 3

Why would FIDO be responsible? It's a third party charge...

I'm Helpful Level 1

Exactly, it is a third-party charge which Fido is NOT responsible for.  The customer is responsible for subscribing him/herself to a third-party service.  It's called Premium Text Services... there lare literally  hundreds if not thousands of these services.  Just to name one *Jamster* they charge 13$ a month, the service lets you download songs and ringtones and backgrounds for your phone.  Some are trivia games you can play, some are chat services, etc get the picture?  Fido has lost alot of money in the past giving credits to customers who subscribe to these services, I think Fido has been very generous in the past, but people just don't learn from their mistakes and keep calling to get credit for these non-Fido services, it's ridiculous.

I'm Experienced Level 1

well, if  fido is acting as credit provider and their phone is acting as a charge card and if the charge made to that charge card is fraudulent then you go to Fido. 

The premise of this post was that he/she did not authorize a charge.

If you get a charge on your visa card by a vendor that you did not authorize, you call Visa and explain that you did not authorize the charge, ask them not to pay the vendor for the item or service that you did not request or receive.

If you signed up for something then of course it's your problem.  Most credible banks and credit card companies have systems in place to ensure the buyer is the card owner but no system is foolproof and in many cases, the credit card companies, who profit handsomely from the transactions, have to do some work for their money.  Fido should be no different. 

Fido's systems, billing systems, record collection systems are not beyond reproach.  Now, the likelihood is that lindam is going "oh, ya, I remember trying to get my IQ results...am I really a 75?". 

It might benefit Fido to ensure customers can easily trace any registered vendor and put a reasonable link or phone number on the bill, and that way most customers will stop before calling customer service.

It just gauls me to see the ridiculous bias on this forum by the majority of fido employees or former fido employees who are incapable of seeing through the eyes of a reasonable, objective customer.  It is the same you will face if you have the misfortune of calling fido on their 800 support line.

I'm Helpful Level 3

Why are we calling a phone a charge card? This is a very different situation...

Just dosn't apply, you sub to a thrid party charge is exactly what it is a third part charge lol

I'm Helpful Level 1

@oblaP

The point I am trying to make is that ultimately you as a customer are the one that authorizes a charge whether it be a charge on a visa card  or a phone.  In the author's case, he got a clear warning that he would be charged for the service he subscribed to and by pressing ok (or whatever) he authorized that charge.  The text messages also come with instructions on how to unsubscribe.

I am also in the same boat and my opinion is that fido or any company for that matter do not have any right to pay a third party without the consent of the customer. Regardless of whether the customer has been trapped knowingly or unknowingly. i have decided to stop using fido service due to their unwillingness to assist their customers.
I'm Experienced Level 1

I know this might seem foreign to you Pandora, but what if:

1.  Fido makes a mistake in their billing

or

2.  A vendor perpetrates fraud on fido customers because of a weakness of the Fido system

everyone should just assume that Fido is right?

I have no idea what happened, nor do you.  The first post stated that he/she did not authorize a service.  The least fido could do, for their own good, is make it easy to determine who tricked you into a charge.

I'm Helpful Level 1

@oblaP

I worked for Fido for 3 years in the billing department.  Most customer's first reaction when they see a a premium text message charge on their invoice is exactly always the same.  "I have no idea where that charge came from!"  In most cases if you point the person to the service's web site, it comes back to them pretty fast why they subscribed to the service.  I'm not saying it's 100% impossible that a mistake was made on the part of Fido, however, in most cases these services request the subscriber to enter a pin of sorts that is sent to the phone, so the person would have had to have the phone in their hand.  Perhaps he lent the phone to someone else, that's the only way I can think that he would not remember signing on.  Whoever uses your phone, whether it is you or someone else, you are ultimately responsible.  There are genuine cases out there where someone didn't know they would be charged for a service, or that fido made a billing error, however, I doubt the premium text messages falls into those categories.

I'm Experienced Level 1

my point is this:

Billing systems do make mistakes.

There are vendors that are fraudulent.

A vast quantity of vendors are unscrupulous and deceptive.

I don't know which case applies to lindam.  Probably the third one.

If Fido chooses to profit off unscrupulous or deceptive vendors (ie. they don't screen them or put any standards in play) then they will face a backlash, extra complaints just like Bell did when the 900 services were introduced without controls or screening.

To suggest that its outrageous for customer who have suffered one of those three cases has no right to call the enabler of the service is just silly.  This is an unknown charge on his Fido bill.  The fact that it is unknown means it was at least deceptive.  You want to profit off of deception fido, then the least you can do is explain to the customer who used the fido platform to trick him.

or....heaven forbid.....it wasn't a legitimate charge....