Text messages received out of order

Chris-D
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I often receive text message replies that appear before the message I sent. It's confusing. This started about 5 months ago. Why is this and how do I fix it? 

9 REPLIES 9
FidoKija
Former Moderator

Hey Chris-D! 

If I understand correctly, you're receiving the replies to your text messages with a delay. Is this correct? 

I completely see how this can be confusing indeed! You're at the right place to figure out what exactly is happening. Let me ask just a few questions so we can have a better understanding of the situation. 

1. What happens when you restart your device? 

2. Are you able to use your other services like calls and texts?

3. Is it happening with only one or multiple numbers?

4. Did any of your contacts notice a delay when they were receiving your texts as well? 

Chris-D

No there are no delays. What I often see on my screen is a reply displayed before the initial message that I sent. This puts the messages of my conversations out of order and harder to interpret later.

I have restarted my device many times since this started, it happens with all other numbers. Everything else works but I don't know about question #4. 

Hmm, that's definitely odd. 

Do you experience the same thing when you try your SIM card in another phone? What model of phone are you using?

Chris-D

It's a Galaxy S7. It's was a Telus phone and I had it unlocked for Fido. The issue happens when a text and reply are within a short time period. It's intermittent and I don't have another phone that I can trust for a day. It's almost like the phone and network can't agree on the exact time. 

Hey @Chris-D

Can you confirm if you're using the most recent OS update on this device? 

Also, can you test going through your settings to disable and enable the Automatic Date and Time settings on the phone? 

Let us know if you notice any improvement. Smiley 

Chris-D

Automatic updates are on. Last update was June 27.

Time sync with network was off. Don't know why, it should be on. I'll see if this helps.

I would Think the messages should be displayed in the order that they were pushed to the device regardless of the time. 

Hey @Chris-D,

You are correct; it should be displayed correctly either way. However, this is more of a troubleshooting test to see if it helps realign things. 

Keep us posted on if it helps. Smiley 

Chris-D

Thank you. I will keep an eye on it for a while and see what happens. 

Hey @Chris-D!

Got any updates?

The Community would love to know if FidoPierre's suggestion helped!