Telemarketing calls from Fido?

SOLVED
smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

My elderly mother is receiving (automated) calls purportedly from Fido indicating that a person with the same last name call an 800 # regarding their account. She has previously received paper mail notifications for this person and has subsequently returned them.

I can only assume this is a scam although no personal info is requested and the calls persist. I'm out of town at the moment, so I can't go into a Fido store and speak on her behalf.

Advice is appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Re: Telemarketing calls from Fido?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

@smallpony wrote:

Call comes in every morning from 855-329-9754.

Hello Smallpony,

That phone number seems to be from a collections agency, Metropolitan Credit Adjusters. Googling the number, I found this and this.

From what I have found, they don't seem to be very good a locating intended individuals. As a result, they're harrassing others. If your mother doesn't have any outstanding debt, you might consider contacting the agency and informing them that their intended target does not live at your mother's address and number (or perhaps even inform them that the person has no association with your mother).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
12 REPLIES 12
j_s
I'm a Contributor Level 1
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I invested 29 dollars a year to Norton mobile software to stop all telelmarketing calls. Been using it for 3 years. Works great. 100 % satified.

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

My post was about a telemarketing issue on a landline j-s.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey @smallpony, can you give me the number that's calling her please? We'll check this out.

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

@smallpony wrote:

Hello Smallpony,

That phone number seems to be from a collections agency, Metropolitan Credit Adjusters. Googling the number, I found this and this.

From what I have found, they don't seem to be very good a locating intended individuals. As a result, they're harrassing others. If your mother doesn't have any outstanding debt, you might consider contacting the agency and informing them that their intended target does not live at your mother's address and number (or perhaps even inform them that the person has no association with your mother).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

There is no reason to make contact other than harrass - will report to Telus.

I appreciate your assistance Cawtau.

@smallpony wrote:

There is no reason to make contact other than harrass - will report to Telus.

I appreciate your assistance Cawtau.

Hello again,

No worries Smiley

The only reason I suggested contacting them is that I would not want them to escalate the situation. I'm not sure what legal actions, if any, they can pursue, but I would be more concerned about intimidation tactics. I would not be surprised if they sent someone to bang on people's doors demanding payment. It might not be your mother's debt they're trying to collect on, but you mentioned she has received paper mailings so that's where they think the debtor lives.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid...

Cheers

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

Will have to decide the best way to approach this and who to report this to. What I don't want is for them to latch on to my contact info which is why I don't want to contact them directly.  I have enough spam of my own to deal with. Angry

Anywho....

@smallpony thanks for letting us know. I'll go ahead and send you a PM to check things out!

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

Phonecalls and mailings referred to a Courtney (sp?) Allen.

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

Thanks Alyson.

smallpony
I'm Helpful Level 1

I will find that information, then contact you again Rachel.

Thanks