Telemarketer spoofing my phone number and calling people

SOLVED
ssf
I'm a Participant Level 1

Over the past two days I've been getting calls from people who insisted that I called them (according to their missed calls), but I definitely didn't call any of them.  I checked my call log, there are no accidental outgoing calls/pocket dials.

The people who get calls (that appear to be from me), have the same first six digits of my phone number, just the last 4 numbers are different for each person.  So if my phone number was 416-555-1234, the people who get calls from my number are all 416-555-xxxx.

Is there anything I can do to stop this?  I am worried people think that I'm personally calling them with telemarketer robo calls!

Accepted Solution

Re: Telemarketer spoofing my phone number and calling people

Solved by Former Moderator FidoSamantha

Hi ssf!

Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing this on your end or ours. These numbers are randomly selected to place these outgoing calls. As you mentioned, this is what's commonly knows as "Spoofing"

Hope this clarifies! 

View solution in context
15 REPLIES 15
aaronb

"Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing this on your end or ours. These numbers are randomly selected to place these outgoing calls. As you mentioned, this is what's commonly knows as "Spoofing"

Actually if the same number keeps being used after being 'randomly' generated initially, it's no longer randomly generated but becomes part of a reused list of numbers as the odds of the same number being continuously randomly regenerated over a relatively short period of time are astronomically remote.
FIDO also has the capability to trace the incoming number of these calls but protects these criminals under 'privacy' laws. Criminals that spoof numbers should not be entitled to such privacy. Granted the incoming calls no doubt come from a spoofing service but at least it can be proven that the owners of the numbers are thus spoofing victims. This allows the police to pursue the spoofing service responsible and obtain the original number of the criminal.
Unfortunately the police choose not to pursue this avenue because it's a 'minor' crime and in order for it to be 'harassment' it has to be repetitive. So if happens quite a few times you can contact the police and insist it's harassment. Find out what provider is being used by the people that ring up claiming that you rang them.

Baltej
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have the exact same problem happening to me. Can someone change my number?! I'm tired of this.

Changing your number will not help, I had this problems also once some guy cxalled me and said I called him then when I said I did not he started swearing at me. I get calls alot from these scammers and always the first three digits after the aread code is the samne as mine so everytime I see a call from the same first 3 digits I know its a scam.

natcort

This too is happening to me...I wonder if other phone companies like Rogers or Bell's customers are experiencing the same issue, if not then it is a Fido issue and Fido should do something about it or els they will lose their "valued" customers such as me....

zyx
I'm Qualified Level 2
I'm Qualified Level 2

Anybody, regardless of carrier, can have their number spoofed. The call doesn't even need to go through the carrier.

For example, someone on Bell could be spoofing a Fido number to call a Telus customer. No Fido system is ever aware of the call.

In oversimplified terms, the caller provides the caller ID, so it can be anything. There are no checks along the line to validate that information. The caller can say anything, it doesn't need to be a number in service, or even a valid number.

At this time, there is nothing any carrier can do anything about. Transfer your number to Bell if you want to, you'll get the same problem, and Bell will tell you that they can't prevent anyone from using that number.

The best you can do is to have your number changed, with all the problems that involves, and there's no assurance that it won't happen with your new number in a month or two. Most likely, these will stop as the scammer will switch to a new number to prevent people from blocking him by caller ID.

sam21us

Hi

i have same issue , please do something about it

Hi @sam21us!

We're aware that a few of our customers are getting an increase number of spam texts and calls. We're working on getting this resolved asap!

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Just so the other fido members know, its not something fido can fix quickly and it also involves co-operation from other phone carriers and police and government officials, and even with all of that they still do not have a permanent solution to stop or block this. its affecting the entire country of Canada, not just fido

Hey natcort!

We are aware of the situation but there's little we can do to avoid those calls from happening. 

You've probably noticed that the numbers are random all the time, It wouldn't fix the problem to change your number. I've been affected by the problem myself, I just stopped answering to numbers I didn't knew, at some point the calls stopped from happening!

yjjennifer

I got the exactly same problem sine last month. Some telemarketing company is spoofing my cell #.  It's so annoyed. I've reported it to Fido. It sounds that they can do nothing to stop it. 

Paolo
I'm an Expert Level 2

Strangely this happened to me too, like 2 or 3 times now...  it stopped and im on the dncl already. Its ovious these guys are scammers and making it hard to track down.

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Hi ssf!

Unfortunately, there is no way of preventing this on your end or ours. These numbers are randomly selected to place these outgoing calls. As you mentioned, this is what's commonly knows as "Spoofing"

Hope this clarifies! 

plmw

I believe this the same thing that is happening to me, I've received multiple calls in the past couple of days from people claiming that they've received a missed call from my number, when I have not made any calls at all this month (I rarely make calls from my phone at all).

Am I right to believe that my only course of action would be to either (a) hope and pray that this magically all goes away, or (b) be forced to change my phone number? Would there be any fee for changing my number?

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

We are working with the CRTC  to investigate what can be done about call and text spoofing. We wouldn't want you to have to change phone number for this plmw, but we can certainly look into this with you if you absolutely want to change it. 

Let us know! 

thematrix49
I'm a Participant Level 2

It has happened to me twice. The calls only lasted about a week, so I assume that who ever was "Spoofing" the number used it for a few days and then moved on to another number. I would hold off changing your number.