Tebasaki Karaage (Japanese Chicken Wings)

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Not my photoNot my photo

Ingredients:

• 10 chicken wings (or 20 wings and drumettes, if already separated)
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) sake
  • 2 tbsp (30 ml) mirin (Japanese cooking wine)
  • 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) kosher salt
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated garlic (I have also used powdered garlic, but not quite as good)
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated fresh ginger (I have also used powdered ginger, but not quite as good)
  • 1/2 cup (125 ml) potato flour (I have also used AP flour, but it tends to yield a more dense outer coating. Potato flour makes them light and crispy)
  • vegetable oil for deep-frying

Directions:

1. You can keep the chicken wings whole, or separate them into 2 parts, wings and drumettes, by cutting through the joint using a heavy knife. You can also remove the wing tips and reserve them for stock, but I like the aesthetic of the flats and wing tips.
  2. Mix the soy sauce, sake, mirin, salt, garlic, and ginger in a large bowl or a resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken, cover or seal, and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
  3. In a bowl, mix the potato flour with some salt and freshly ground pepper.
  4. When ready to deep-fry, lift the chicken pieces from the marinade, then coat with the flour. In a wok or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high, heat the oil to 350°F (177°C). Line a baking sheet with paper towels.
  5. Deep-fry for 5 to 8 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken wing, occasionally turning them over. Remove with chopsticks or a slotted spoon or spider, and drain on the paper towels.

Enjoy!

I sometimes can manage to eat 10 of these wings just by myself! Very_Happy So you might have to double, triple,... or quadruple?? the recipe for a party.

Cheers

0 REPLIES 0