Tablet Flex Plan on smartphone?

Andyroo
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello fido community.

I've recently signed up for a tablet flex plan, found here: http://fido.ca/consumer/tablets, namely the one on the left, 15$ for 1gb

Another post on this forum stated that this plan would work fine if i wished to use it on a cellphone, found here: http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/NonTechnical/message-id/21311#M21311

I have also recieved multiple verifications from customer support that this plan would work on my phone.

However, when the sim card is inserted into my phone, and is connected to the network, i get this message: "Your SIM Card does not allow a connection to this network."

Have I been flat out lied to or could there be something wrong with my phone? The person at my local mobile shop stated that he saw a loose pin in my sim slot, or something stuck in it. However, the phone recognised the sim card fine, as far as we can tell. The sim card also came out with signifigant scratches, so he gave me a new one. I want to ensure that the problem would be with my phone/the old sim and not Fido blocking my connection because my device is not a tablet. If it is a blocking issue, i am going to have to cancel my service. if it isn't i will likely just buy a new phone. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Andrew

7 REPLIES 7
KAPABLE-K
MVP

@Andyroo Whatever phone you are using go to the network settings and set your preferred network to LTE, 3G or WCDMA Only. 

If that does not work and if your phone is an Android phone try this.

1. Open the phone dialer
2. Enter: *#*#4636#*#* (Once entered, you will be taken directly to a "Testing" page) [4636 spells INFO]
3. Tap Phone Information
4. Scroll to the bottom of the screenand you should see a button thatsays radio off. Hit this button and when it reads radio on Hit it again to turn the radio back on.  

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Andyroo,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, what do you wish to do with your phone using the tablet flex plan? Are you planning to use it as a phone or a tablet-like device (ie no calls)? This is what is in the fine print: 

...tablet data plan added to a Fido postpaid wireless plan (data-only, Fido Home Phone and prepaid plans not eligible)

~taken from here.

My understanding of that statement would be that the plan/SIM would be data only. So it's possible the plan would work on your phone if all you wanted was to use it as a tablet device. If that is the case, you may need to swtich the mobile connection on your phone to not include GSM. Yes, data can be transmitted via Edge (2G) and yes, calls can be transmitted via UMTS or WCDMA ('3G'), but the network might think the intention is for calls and not necessarily data only. I'm speculating here so I'm not sure it that would solve the issue, but it is worth a try.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @Andyroo & welcome to the Community! Smiley

Just to confirm, are you using an unlocked phone or Fido phone?

Hello @FidoMaria,

Could you please verify whether calls/SMS are allowed on a tablet flex plan or if the plans are data only?

Thanks! Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@Cawtau sure thing. Smiley

Calls and SMS are allowed with data only plans.

Local calls are billed at $1/minute, and outgoing SMS to Canadian numbers are billed at $0.25/message.

Cheers!

@FidoMaria wrote:

@Cawtau sure thing. Smiley

Calls and SMS are allowed with data only plans.

Local calls are billed at $1/minute, and outgoing SMS to Canadian numbers are billed at $0.25/message.

Cheers!

Hello again,

Thanks! 

Hmm, curious why the OP was getting that message then...

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator

@Cawtau I've personally never seen this before. @Andyroo, have you already tried your SIM in a different phone to see if you get the same error message?