Tablet Data Plan on Smartphone and Dual Sim

SOLVED
ZeroUrashima
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Honestly, I've been on prepaid all my life and I've always been satisfied with this but the 150$ limit forces me to consider other options. I finally got a day job and considered getting a Data Plan so I can use it to access my stocks (don't want to use work's wifi) at work. Thought of getting a VPN too but I figured a Data Plan might be more useful.

Unfortunately, the voice+data plans don't fit my needs, I pay too much for the voice+messaging part that I don't really need. I read somewhere I can switch my remaining airtime to credit for a monthly plan so I was seriously considering just using up all the credit and leave Fido because of the limit.

Anyway, I've read that I can use the Data Only plan for Tablet and just shove the Sim Card in my Smartphone to use it but what happens when you are using Dual Sim? I want to continue to use Prepaid on one and use a Data Plan for Tablet on the other. I don't want surprise bills that for some reasons, my phone decided to use my Data only Sim to call or message every once in a while.

Also, is there an option to add voice mail on Prepaid? I don't think I have it.

If I get a Data Plan, is it posible to move the value over the limit as a credit for the Data Plan?

And the promo for getting a LG G Pad IV, what will the price per month? It says upfront price 0 but you will probably add something on the monthly price I guess. I can't get it on my account but my brother has a voice+data plan so I am considering getting it on his account. (will need to figure other ways to use up airtime over limit if that's the case though)

Accepted Solution

Re: Tablet Data Plan on Smartphone and Dual Sim

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey @ZeroUrashima,

Getting a monthly plan in order to have a steady amount of data each month would definitely be a good idea. Transferring your line to a monhtly account with a data-only plan is an option that you have, but, it is important to note that, in order to have a data-only line, you need to also have a line with a voice and data plan so, if this is how you decide to proceed, transferring your line into your brother's account would be a good option.

Your existing prepaid airtime balance would follow your line to your brother's account within 7 days of the transfer. You would see the balance transfer as a credit on your first or second invoice following the transaction.

We do not have a way to transfer a portion of your prepaid balance to a new data-only line while maintaining your prepaid line as prepaid. You may need to activate a new prepaid service if you will need another line.

Because we don't have any Dual-SIM phones, and it's not something we support. I wouldn't be able to tell you how to make sure one works and not the other. Maybe someone on the community can help? 

Our Prepaid plans do include voicemail, that's something we can look into if yours doesn't work. Let us know if that's the case. You should be able to reach your voicemail by pressing and holding down the number 1 on your device's keypad.

The LG G Pad IV is currently being offered, on promotion, for $0 on a 2 year contract; no catch or extra fees added to your plan with that. The plan we currently offer would be $15 per month for 3GB of data. A cancellation fee would apply should you choose to close the line before the end of the contract. 

I hope that clarifies everything!

View solution in context
14 REPLIES 14
FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey @ZeroUrashima,

Getting a monthly plan in order to have a steady amount of data each month would definitely be a good idea. Transferring your line to a monhtly account with a data-only plan is an option that you have, but, it is important to note that, in order to have a data-only line, you need to also have a line with a voice and data plan so, if this is how you decide to proceed, transferring your line into your brother's account would be a good option.

Your existing prepaid airtime balance would follow your line to your brother's account within 7 days of the transfer. You would see the balance transfer as a credit on your first or second invoice following the transaction.

We do not have a way to transfer a portion of your prepaid balance to a new data-only line while maintaining your prepaid line as prepaid. You may need to activate a new prepaid service if you will need another line.

Because we don't have any Dual-SIM phones, and it's not something we support. I wouldn't be able to tell you how to make sure one works and not the other. Maybe someone on the community can help? 

Our Prepaid plans do include voicemail, that's something we can look into if yours doesn't work. Let us know if that's the case. You should be able to reach your voicemail by pressing and holding down the number 1 on your device's keypad.

The LG G Pad IV is currently being offered, on promotion, for $0 on a 2 year contract; no catch or extra fees added to your plan with that. The plan we currently offer would be $15 per month for 3GB of data. A cancellation fee would apply should you choose to close the line before the end of the contract. 

I hope that clarifies everything!

ZeroUrashima

Oh, I can move my line to my brother's account and transfer my remaining balance to credit like that and convert my current sim card to a Data line?
That's a great option. Will I have able to keep my phone number for such a situation?

For Dual Sim, my phone can disable a card altogether if it's needed so I guess I'll turn it on only when I need to use Data to avoid surprise bills. Any way for Fido to disable call and message option on the card to avoid such a hassle?

Also, the -50$ balance for 1 year extension, is that a permanent option or a time limited one?
I need to decide if I stay with Fido or not with my new Prepaid Line.
For my current use, I use about half of the 100$ per year. I don't know how my habits will change now that I have a day job and my network will probably grow but I can't see myself needing a voice plan. Most people know I am home most of the time when I don't work so they just call my home phone. If my habits don't change much, I can see myself getting past the 150$ limit again in a few years.

ZeroUrashima

Oh, I forgot.

I don't have Voice Mail on my Prepaid line.

I pressed 1, went to voice mail and entered the 10 digits + # but says my number doesn't exist.

I think that when I created my line, it was an addon option and you never gave it to me when it became part of the prepaid plan for free.

Thansk for clarifying @ZeroUrashima 

In order for the balance to be transferred over to your brother's account you will need to transfer your number, if you need to change it afterwards that's a possibility!

The $50 balance is for a period of 6 months and it's a temporary option, this offer can change at any time! 

In terms of your voicemail, we can definitely take a look a that if you'd like. Let us know and we'll send you a PM! 

ZeroUrashima

Thanks for the information.

Now, who do I contact to move my line to my brother's account and how do I let the person know I have his permission?

You're welcome, @ZeroUrashima Smiley

To transfer the line, you'd need to speak to one of our agents and give your brother the permission to take over the line. We'll simply leave a note on your account that you have authorized him for a transfer of responsibility. Your authorization would be valid for a period of 30 days.

He'd then have to reach out to us to complete the transfer of the line towards his own account. 

To give your authorization, you can reach out to us through here or we can send you a PM on the Community.

Let us know which option you prefer Smiley

ZeroUrashima

Please send me a PM

I just want to confirm what I want to do and get a last confirmation it can be done.

1) Move my line to my brother's account

2) Convert that line to the Data only plan with Lg G Pad IV and 3Gb/month for 15$ plan.

Then if possible, keep my current phone number and make a new prepaid line with it.

Would it be better if I buy a Sim card beforehand and let you know the number so the phone number can be transfered to that?

Sending a PM your way @ZeroUrashima Smiley 

Rpgentity
I'm a Participant Level 1

Something is really weird.

My line moved to my brother's account and I'm charged 336$ for the tablet which suposed to be free.

I thought you confirmed to me that if I take the 3Gb data plan, the tablet is free. I don't want this thing if it costs that much. I can easily get a better tablet in the 200$ range and I don't really need one, only for backup.

Oh, this is my brother's account.

Let me send you a PM in this case! 

Talk soon @ZeroUrashima514.

Can you reply to our last PM please? 

We'll have to look at the account to see what happened. 

ZeroUrashima514
I'm a Participant Level 3

I can't, my older username (ZeroUrashima), I tried to log in and the account is gone I think.

Says Username does not exist and Forget password doesn't work, the phone number and email I was using is linked to this account now.

Hey @Rpgentity

Welcome to the Community!

So if I understand correctly you moved the tablet line to another account?

If the tablet was free (upfront) it means you took it on Easy Pay or with a contract. So when you did move the line out of your account, it broke the contract and charged the remaining fees of the tablet

Note that if the contract was completed, there would be no fee at all regarding the balance of the tablet

Feel free to contact us for more info towards your account Smiley

ZeroUrashima514
I'm a Participant Level 3

That's impossible.

I was on prepaid for original account.

I moved to my brother's account and then changed to Data Plan 3Gb + Tablet for 15$ afterwards.

I did the changes through facebook when my brother contacted the guy and I am not sure if he did something wrong. He didn't mention a fee for the tablet so I thought it was free but it's written "online only" on the promo so I don't know if he screwed me up because I did through facebook and I see 336$ (changed to 322$ for some reasons) on Device Balance which I'm not supposed to pay. Or is that normal since I'm on the 2 years contract?

I have no clue why but I see the device balance on "My Account" App on phone but don't see it when I log in on pc. I saw it yesterday on my brother's account though so I guess I can only see it on Account Holder. Also, I changed my plan to Data aparently but nothing's there. I lost the prepaid line and I don't see any Data bandwidth, what in the world is going on.