TEXT 2 LANDLINE - Can it be PERMANENTLY DISABLED?

Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

TEXT 2 LANDLINE - Can it be PERMANENTLY DISABLED?

Hello to the fido technical community as well as the social media team.  I would really like to DISABLE or EXCLUDE the TEXT 2 Landline service.  Yes its a VERY GOOD SERVICE, but its NOT FOR ME.  You guys can block Long Distance and International calling in V21, so you should be able to block this too, right? I think its only fair,

What is the SOC Code that I need to put on my line to block these?

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

Re: TEXT 2 LANDLINE - Can it be PERMANENTLY DISABLED?

Hello FidoJudy and FidoFrank,

I found some really usefull info that I'd like to share through some word of mouth.

The Text 2 Landline is a service provided by a third party company called TeleMessage.

I contacted them recently about the service and they were able to resolve my complaint. Here is what they said:

Hi, Paolo –

As you requested we have blocked all text-to-landline messages from your Fido mobile phone which effectively “opts you out”.

Best regards,

TeleMessage Customer Service

"Get the message!"

=======================

TeleMessage

http://www.TeleMessage.com/

So why did Fido lie to me? It's definitely possible to opt out, now my messages to landline does not go through at all. Thanks TeleMessage!
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 18
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

they may have everything to do with it, but they sure don't tell anything about the partnership with TeleMessage inc with any of their frontline reps, heck even the knowledgable more senior employees within fido solutions do not know about this.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 18
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just sent an email to TeleMessage, hopefully will do the trick.

Shame on Fido, for missinforming me several times that nothing can be done. I considering that this issue might even warrent a complaint abour Fido to the CRTC.

I also have the following question: once the service is turned off... will I get any sort of notice if I try to send a text to a landline by mistake ?
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 18
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

I have also just sent a message to TeleMessage and if it does not work I Will file a complaint to CRTC

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted

I would like to add that I followed the directions and went to the website for TeleMessage asking them to block SMS to Landline on my number and they responded within 24 hours saying they had blocked it as per my request. They also said that I can re-enable it any time by just contacting them.

So yes, it can definitely be turned off if you ask them to.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 18
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

$0.25 charge for texting a non-mobile number -- AAARRRRGGGG!!!

This happens periodically, and I find it MASSIVELY frustrating:

I text somebody's number, which I think or assume is a mobile number. Or, I get two or more phone numbers from one of my contacts, and which number is which gets confused somehow, depending on how Gmail or my contacts app handles it... I don't have perfect tracking of everybody's phone number metadata. So I send a text to the number that I thought was a mobile, but it turns out the number is a landline. Instead of failing, or giving me an error message, or giving me an option, or doing anything in my estimation and expectation appropriate, Fido goes ahead and informs me that I have been charged $0.25 for a service that I don't want or need or intend, some kind of text-to-voicemail delivery, which in the past hasn't even worked properly.

I wish there were a way to disable this functionality, this unwanted "service", so that I didn't stumble upon it a couple of times per year. If the system can inform me that I have been charged $0.25, I simply can't believe that there isn't a way to set it up for the system to inform me that I attempted to text a landline, which doesn't accept texts, and the transmission has failed. No charge, no penalty, no knashing of teeth and shaking of fist at the sky.

Please and thank you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 18
Highlighted

Wow, thank you so much for the information Paolo. I've emailed TeleMessage, hopefully this scam service gets put to an end.

Shame on you greedy at Fido. I think Fido deserves to be sued for their negligence of failing to properly train representatives.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 18
Highlighted

Re: $0.25 charge for texting a non-mobile number -- AAARRRRGGGG!!!

Landlines do accept sms, it is read out by a voice, kinda cool actually.

It is 0.25 per message, double check the number you are texting beforehand if you don't want any 'surprises'.

If not you may have to keep shaking your fists at the sky for those semi-annual 0.25 charges on your bill.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 18
Highlighted

Update: I can confirm that emailing TeleMessage about this scam service has put an end to it, forever! No more surprise charges, and no more time wasted fighting them greedy b*stards at Fido; got refunded for the stupid charges.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 18