Swapping numbers between two lines under one account.

SOLVED
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I've been a fido user since 1998 and sometime around 2008 I added a fido home phone. I want to be able to swap the phone numbers between the two accounts. I was told by a fido rep on the phone that this wasn't possible. Frankly that doesn't make sense to me. I get that there may not be a point a click solution from fido's end but I'm thinking that there might be a solution that involves taking a more indirect route. 

I was wondering if there was a way to use porting features, perhaps by porting the fido home phone number to another provider and then back again, or maybe changing my fido home phone to a fido cell plan and then seeing if they are able to swap plans between the two... I don't know, something. Any ideas out there?

Accepted Solution

Re: Swapping numbers between two lines under one account.

Solved by Former Moderator FidoAmanda

Hey @scottolson!

The Community hasn't heard back from you. Are you still looking for info on this?

If I understand correctly, you're looking to change your home phone line to a mobile phone line and you would like to switch your mobile phone line to a home phone line, correct? 

If you are looking to do this while retaining the plans that you currently have on both your lines on the other line after the switch, whether or not we can do this would all depend on whether or not the plans that you have right now on both of your lines are still available. This will not be something that we're able to do if your current plans are no longer offered.  

That's said, changing your home phone line to a mobile phone line and changing your mobile phone line to a home phone line is definitely something that can be done. You could do so simply by changing the plans on those line accordingly; selecting a home phone plan on your mobile line (and inserting the SIM card for the line into the home phone device) and selecting a mobile plan on your home phone line (and inserting the SIM card for the line into a mobile phone).

This is something that would need to be completed with customer service. Let us know if you'd prefer that we send you a PM here instead. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3
Former Moderator

Hey @scottolson!

The Community hasn't heard back from you. Are you still looking for info on this?

If I understand correctly, you're looking to change your home phone line to a mobile phone line and you would like to switch your mobile phone line to a home phone line, correct? 

If you are looking to do this while retaining the plans that you currently have on both your lines on the other line after the switch, whether or not we can do this would all depend on whether or not the plans that you have right now on both of your lines are still available. This will not be something that we're able to do if your current plans are no longer offered.  

That's said, changing your home phone line to a mobile phone line and changing your mobile phone line to a home phone line is definitely something that can be done. You could do so simply by changing the plans on those line accordingly; selecting a home phone plan on your mobile line (and inserting the SIM card for the line into the home phone device) and selecting a mobile plan on your home phone line (and inserting the SIM card for the line into a mobile phone).

This is something that would need to be completed with customer service. Let us know if you'd prefer that we send you a PM here instead. 

Hope this helps!

Senior MVP

Hello Scottolson,

I suppose it depends on what you're ultimately trying to achieve. If all you want is to have your current home phone number as a cellular number and your current cellular phone number to be your home number, you could probably find a way to port the number out to another provider and then eventually port it back. However, if your eventual goal is to keep your current cellular and/or home phone plans, then unfortunately, that would not be possible.

There are a a couple of things to note. Firstly, the plans are associated with a phone number and not an account per se. Furthermore, plans are non-transferrable so still wouldn't be possible if both phone numbers were cellular even though they are on the same account.

Secondly, the process of porting a number automatically cancels the line (and therefore, plan) associated with that number. Assuming you were able to port your home phone number to some third party (so you don't lose the number), porting your cellular number to your home phone would automatically cancel your current cellular line. Note you would also be responsible for any early cancellation fees on that cellular line, if applicable. On the other hand, if you tried to port your cellular phone number to some third party, that action in itself would cancel the line and plan.

If you want to keep your current plan(s) but switch phone numbers, it is not possible. However, if you didn't care to keep the plan(s), you probably could port the number to a third party and back. Though I'm not sure whether there are any time frame specifications in which it needs to be done.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

I'm an Expert Level 2

so let me get this correct, you want to Move (Port) your home phone number to your cell and Move (Port) your Cell number to your home phone?

Thats a tough one. cus when you port a number, you cancel the other account it came from.