Swapping numbers between two lines on one account

SOLVED
I'm Helpful Level 1

If I have multiple lines on my account, is it possible to swap the phone numbers between these lines? Bell and Telus both do this, so I am curious if Fido offers the same service for their customers.

Accepted Solution

Re: Swapping numbers between two lines on one account

Solved by Community Manager

Hello everyone,

There are actually several reasons for which this is not offered through Fido. The main one being the extremely high risk of a number being taken (after having been released from aging) by another customer or for a new activation. Once out of aging, it can be taken within seconds. I am sure you can all understand that this would cause some hair pulling, both on the customer side and on our side.

Other reasons include the pro-rata that would be caused on both of the lines splitting up the minutes, MB's, etc. and rendering the view usage tool unavailable until the billing cycle restarts (for monthly accounts).

I do agree that it would be very convenient in some cases, however at the moment it is not an option.

Hope this helps.

View solution in context
8 REPLIES 8
I'm an Expert Level 2

I'd actually be interested in this too.

I have my plan for my smartphone with build in long distance. I have another prepaid line for use with a dumb phone. When my daughter goes to school I am thinking it would be a good idea to let her take my iPhone and my plan so she doesn't have to worry about long distance or data with her prepaid line. However, I'd want to keep my phone number on my line (which would be the prepaid line) and let her use the prepaid phone number but with my plan. After some period of time, we'd either switch back or just get her a monthly plan of her own and revert my plan back to my number

I've read this type of swap is trivial and common with other carriers. Why does Fido not allow their reps to do this?

Hello everyone,

There are actually several reasons for which this is not offered through Fido. The main one being the extremely high risk of a number being taken (after having been released from aging) by another customer or for a new activation. Once out of aging, it can be taken within seconds. I am sure you can all understand that this would cause some hair pulling, both on the customer side and on our side.

Other reasons include the pro-rata that would be caused on both of the lines splitting up the minutes, MB's, etc. and rendering the view usage tool unavailable until the billing cycle restarts (for monthly accounts).

I do agree that it would be very convenient in some cases, however at the moment it is not an option.

Hope this helps.

I'm a Participant Level 2

This really is a shame, it would be a great service to have...

How about swapping numbers between two seperate accounts? Nothing would need to be prorated (since the details stay with the account).. and I don't see why they number would hit aging since they are both in active use?

I'm an Expert Level 2

Just read over at HowardForums that someone was able to have a number swap performed on his account (Rogers). It took an escalation to the Office of the President but it was accomplished. Since it then appears it is strictly a policy issue and it can be over-ridden by the right authorities, maybe it would be easier for everone involved just to allow it with the caveat that the 'risks' are explained to the customer.

hofo info here

I'm a Contributor Level 1

Let me clarify to all of you, why this is not allowed. Becasuse we only have 3 telephone companies that own the 6 companies that are available to provide the service to us, they can do whatever they want to with whatever excuses possible to keep you paying and dictating of what you should be able to do with the lines you are paying for. Thankfully things got a bit better but we still have a long way to go. Forget about number swapping, I remember companies used to charge 35 or something to people to swap phones(remember those CDMA phones?) If you lost and broke your phone. It was like you commited a crime losing your phone.

NOW, allowing you to swap numbers between the very 2 lines in their own network would be a tiny piece of work on cellphone companies side but will give you advantages of distributing your line to your closed family without paying fat cancellation charges or any other fees that can be collected because you are already in you knees, Why would the cell companies do that?

Now as a client all I have to say is those policies of not doing this and that is garbage. If you want to provide service to people give them what they want.(My words are not for only fido it's for all the provider's)

Cheers everyone.   

I'm Helpful Level 1

Any particular reason for the decision not to allow number swapping?

I'm Helpful Level 3

No.
I'm Helpful Level 1

that's too bad. It's really easy with Bell and Telus.

I would have thought it would, at worst, be a matter of doing a number change on both lines, then releasing both from the aged list and overlaying them on opposite lines. 

Guess it is a policy limitation instead of a technical one.