Suddenly $10 talk and text charge appears in my prepaid account

I'm a Participant Level 3 ScarletOhauler
I'm a Participant Level 3

Suddenly $10 talk and text charge appears in my prepaid account

I have been buying $10 prepaid vouchers for years. I used one on February 26th. I logged into my account tonight, one day before March refill is due and I see a $10 talk and text plan deducted Feb 26th from my balance and another $10 talk and text deducted March 26th. I never ordered any add on. How do I get that removed an my money refunded? I haven't even used my phone.

Accepted Solution

Re: Suddenly $10 talk and text charge appears in my account

Hi @ScarletOhauler,

You are seeing the $10 charges because all pay-per-use prepaid plans were migrated to a $10 talk and text plan. This plan comes with 50 minutes and 50 text messages. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 15
Highlighted
Moderator (inactive) FidoFaiza
Moderator (inactive)
Solution

Hi @ScarletOhauler,

You are seeing the $10 charges because all pay-per-use prepaid plans were migrated to a $10 talk and text plan. This plan comes with 50 minutes and 50 text messages. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 15

Thanks for your speedy reply! Much appreciated! Happy

So, the $10 each month comes off automatically from my balance? Today would have been the expiry date for the voucher I used 30 days ago. Do I have to refill today with another voucher to avoid losing my balance?

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 15

The $10 for the plan would be billed every 30 days Smiley

In terms of your balance itself, to not lose it you do have to refilling another $10 every 30, from the time the last $10 refill was made.

I hope that helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 15

I am a bit confused now.

On March 26th, $10 was taken from my balance for the $10 talk and text plan and the new balance has an expiry date of April 28th, If I add $10 today as I normally would as today was the expiry date given to me when I refilled at the end of February, that means it seems I am paying $20. The balance would go from $317 to $327.

Next month, another $10 will be deducted for the talk and text and I have to buy another $10 voucher. No additinoal airtime is being banked, and since the phone is only for emergencies, no airtime is being used. It is costing me $20 per month to maintain the account balance.

So, in effect, I am being charged $20 for the 50 minutes and 50 texts. I only need what I had before this change. Someone else in this forum mentioned Fongo. Perhaps I will have to explore it, and also use up all my Fido airtime that I have banked before cutting the cord (pun intended).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 15
Former Moderator FidoGabrielle
Former Moderator

I understand your concern ScarletOhauler. We'll be happy to take a closer look at your account. 

PM on the way!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 15

Thanks again for a speedy reply! Gotta like that!

I am new here and I can't see where I am to retrieve your private message. 😞

Anyways, I refilled $10 tonight and as predicted the balance went from $317 to $327. Two more days were added to the expiry date, which is normal. I took screen shots of every step of the voucher redemption, just for the record, as I anticipate the same thing happening at the end of April.

Cheers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 15

Hey @ScarletOhauler

I took care of sending a PM your way concerning this.

Hope to talk to you soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 15

Where is the message inbox to read your PM?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 15

Found it. I sent the information you requested.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 15
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hey @ScarletOhauler

You can reply directly to our PM, we'll be happy to help you there. 

Chat soon Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 15
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Christie_Ivan
I'm a Contributor Level 1

The BY THE MONTH - $10 TALK & TEXT PLAN is confusing.  
We just refilled $10 voucher to our account and it's showing we only have $7.91 left?
I thought the new $10 plan is that you pay $10 for 50 mins and 50 outgoing texts, and the $10 will stay the same then just refill every month with a $0 balance after a month?
Please advise.  Thanks.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 15
MVP
MVP

Hello Christie_Ivan,

Welcome to the community!

Is this a new prepaid account? Are you aware that the $10 voucher would not include the 75¢ 9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee? That is, the $10 By the Month prepaid plan costs $10.75 per month. Is it possible that your previous balance was not sufficient to cover the full monthly fees? If that's the case, then the funds would have been used on a pay-per-use basis rather than the By the Month. The new voucher you added (plus remaining balance) would have now provided sufficient funds for the upcoming monthly fee. The amount left in your account would be the balance from your previous voucher.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 15
I'm a Contributor Level 1 Christie_Ivan
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Hi Cawtau,

Yes it's a new Fido account.
We still don't quite understand.  So we will need to buy a $20 voucher to use a $10 Talk and Text plan?  since a $10 voucher would never be enough with the additional 911 charge on top?
So the $7.91 balance is from the previous voucher and we are kinda like having $17.91 (after the recent $10 top up) actually in our account now?

Thank you.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 15
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

You don't necessarily have to purchase $20 vouchers every month to use the $10 Talk and Text plan. However, you would have had to purchase an additional amount voucher for your first month. You may or may not have to purchase larger amount vouchers in subsequent months depending on the remaining balance in your account. Since you currently have a balance of $7.91 on your account, you would only have to purchase a $10 voucher for the next couple of months (assuming you don't incur overage charges) since the 75¢ 9-1-1 Emergency Access Fee could be taken from that amount. Once your balance drops to below 75¢, you would then have to add additional funds (on top of the $10 monthly fee) to accommodate the charge.

@Christie_Ivan wrote:...

So the $7.91 balance is from the previous voucher and we are kinda like having $17.91 (after the recent $10 top up) actually in our account now?....

Not exactly. When you added the $10 voucher, your account likely had approximately $8.66 left from your previous balance so your account balance would have been $18.66 -- before monthly charges were taken. Now that your monthly fee has been paid, your account only has the $7.91 ($18.66 - $10.75) balance left. However, since your monthly fee has been paid, you would now have access to included minutes and SMS.

Hope this clarifies :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 15