Stopping unwanted text messages on Fido prepaid

I'm a Participant Level 2 Pearl
I'm a Participant Level 2

Stopping unwanted text messages on Fido prepaid

Hi,

Does anyone know how to stop unwanted text messages on a Fido prepaid account?  I called the customer service and they couldn't help.  They said the only thing they could do is block all my text messaging or none!  I don't really want to change my phone number either.

Thanks,

Pearl

***Edited to add labels***

Accepted Solution

Re: Stopping unwanted text messages on Fido prepaid

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. There is another way to block unwanted SMS. Launch the My Account app on your phone, then click My services, then Extreme Text Messaging. In there you will see an option that is call Text Blocker: this is what you are looking for Smiley

But keep in mind that if you are receiving Premium Text Messaging (SMS from a third party provider that is charging you for each SMS they are sending to you) you WILL NEED to unsubscribe with them the way that wkh explained. If you don't unsubscribe and just block the number: they will still send you SMS and charge you for them, it's just that you won't receive them.

Hope it helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 1 sashgrrl
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hey, I'd like to do the same. I just want to block some numbers, not all.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
I'm Helpful Level 3
I'm Helpful Level 3

This question is all dependent on your cell phone.  Fido itself can either block all or none, but a lot of phones will have some form of "blacklist" feature.  Usually it's found in your recent callers list, by viewing the options.  If you're unsure, a quick Google search with your phone's model number, brand, and the word "block" will usually get you the information you're seeking.

Likewise, most smartphones have apps available that can block specific numbers and even unknown callers.

--------------------

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Contributor Level 2 wkh
I'm a Contributor Level 2

If it's a commercial/automatic outlet texting you, you can text STOP and they will stop texting.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5
Fido Employee Tru
Fido Employee
Solution

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. There is another way to block unwanted SMS. Launch the My Account app on your phone, then click My services, then Extreme Text Messaging. In there you will see an option that is call Text Blocker: this is what you are looking for Smiley

But keep in mind that if you are receiving Premium Text Messaging (SMS from a third party provider that is charging you for each SMS they are sending to you) you WILL NEED to unsubscribe with them the way that wkh explained. If you don't unsubscribe and just block the number: they will still send you SMS and charge you for them, it's just that you won't receive them.

Hope it helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5