Speed test result?

Speed test result?

Speed test result?

SOLVED
elmoboy
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Speed test result?

I've joined Fido for around 4 months and in Vancouver area.

The max speed test I've got is 47Mbps, even in the downtown area with full bar LTE signal. Now noon time I've got 10down and 47up.

Usually speed is only 12Mbps.

Berfore I use Rogers, I can easily see 80+ to 120Mbps, usually over 50Mbps.

I'm using the same S5.

May I know it is a average/normal for Fido network? at least in my area?

Many thanks for you reply.

Accepted Solution

Re: Speed test result?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Elmoboy,

I posted a response to a similar thread here.

I understand you had full LTE signal bars, however signal strength does not necessarily equate with speed since the different bands/frequencies have different bandwidths (see here). Connecting to bands 12 or 17 with full signal bars would be slower than connecting to either bands 4 or 7 with fewer signal bars because bands 12/17 have a narrower bandwith.

Obviously, people would rather connect to either band 4 or 7 because they're faster. However, it's a give-and-take scenario. Bands 4 and 7 are potentially faster, but their signals don't travel as far or penetrate as much as bands 12 or 17. So depending on one's location relative to the cellular towers, their bands/frequencies, any obstruction of signal (ie buildings) the optimal LTE connection for that situation might be limited to either band 12 or 17.

As noted in my other post, Fido does not yet offer carrier aggregation (LTE-Advanced).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Elmoboy,

I posted a response to a similar thread here.

I understand you had full LTE signal bars, however signal strength does not necessarily equate with speed since the different bands/frequencies have different bandwidths (see here). Connecting to bands 12 or 17 with full signal bars would be slower than connecting to either bands 4 or 7 with fewer signal bars because bands 12/17 have a narrower bandwith.

Obviously, people would rather connect to either band 4 or 7 because they're faster. However, it's a give-and-take scenario. Bands 4 and 7 are potentially faster, but their signals don't travel as far or penetrate as much as bands 12 or 17. So depending on one's location relative to the cellular towers, their bands/frequencies, any obstruction of signal (ie buildings) the optimal LTE connection for that situation might be limited to either band 12 or 17.

As noted in my other post, Fido does not yet offer carrier aggregation (LTE-Advanced).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers