Smart Plan price increase without notice!

I'm a Participant Level 1 Dontbelikethat
I'm a Participant Level 1

Smart Plan price increase without notice!

Price of Smart Plan increased by $5 per month with no notice. The increase just appeared on my bill. Is it general policy to raise prices on services without notice? Or just for older plans that are no longer offered?

Accepted Solution

Re: Smart Plan price increase without notice!

Hey @Dontbelikethat

Welcome to the Community!

There were some old plans that were adjusted not too long ago. The change was applied to all of these plans directly and everyone touched by that was notified directly on the bill : 

YOUR MOBILE PLAN RATE IS CHANGING
As a long-time customer, we value your loyalty and strive to deliver best in class mobile
experiences to you every day. To support ongoing service upgrades that help us
consistently deliver the best possible product experience, we periodically need to adjust
the pricing of our plans. As a result, the amount of your monthly service fee for the mobile
number listed before this message will be increasing by $5 on the date of your first bill
on or after June 1, 2018. Your mobile plan continues to offer great value and is only
available to long-time customers like you. All other aspects of your mobile service will
remain the same. This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. If you
wish to respond to this notice or have any questions, concerns or wish to modify, cancel or
enhance your services, please refer to the Contact Us section of this bill. Thank you.

Feel free to contact us if you want to have a look at options for a different plan or anything Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 21
I'm a Participant Level 1 Fiona_Chen
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have same problem with the price increase without notice, and also my monthly billing. Anyone can PM me to help me out?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 21
Former Moderator FidoPamela
Former Moderator

Hi Fiona_Chen

Welcome to the Community Smiley

We'll be happy to check it out with you. I'll be sending you a PM shortly. 

Chat soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 21
I'm a Participant Level 2 JS_13
I'm a Participant Level 2

I’m absolutely ticked off right now about this and if anyone reads this and feels like I do PLEASE go to CCTS ccts-cprst.ca to submit a complaint. I already have, btw stick your 12 months in your ear Fido/Rogers that’s not good enough for me.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 21

Hey @JS_13,

We know that price is important and we try to limit this type of change as much as we can. To ensure we can continue to deliver the best possible experience to our customers, from time to time we do have to review and adjust our plans.

I assure you though that we're entirely compliant with all regulations, you can check out more here ( Section D).

This said, I'll send you a PM to take a closer look into this with you. 

Talk soon.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 21
I'm a Contributor Level 1 AtomX
I'm a Contributor Level 1

That's not true. An increase is usually necessary to increase profit margins. Those $40 plans that were popular and got people to switch to FIDO were increased within a year to $45. That's a 12.5% increase in the space of 12 months. FAR higher than the cost of inflation. 

I'm not sure whether or not the bait and switch was a poor business move as the prices were set too low, or a genius bait n' switch, knowing that Fido would lose some people but most would just stick it out and cough up the extra 12.5%.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 21
I'm a Contributor Level 1 AtomX
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Not all plans were raised, only some older plans had to be reevaluated and adjusted based on the cost and market situation amongst other factors. 

That's doublespeak, and you know it. What exactly are those "cost and market situations among other factors."

Why not clearly spell something out.

For example: "That $15 plan was initially offered in 2008 would be $21 in today's money due to inflation, so we adjusted the price to $20"

Perhaps the reason the reason isn't explained is because the motivating factor is simple... padding profit, perhaps?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 21