Showing 4g but no data connection

Jaysmd
I'm a Contributor Level 1

I recently purchased an international unlocked LG G5 model h860.
I have been having this problem that will happen randomly 6+ times a day where although my phone shows I have a 4g connection I can't access the Internet at all.. Toggling aeroplane mode doesn't fix it and after a restart it's fine again until next time... It's almost like it gets stuck in limbo transferring between a 4g and 3g connection.
I had to enter the apn settings manually and this is what I'm using.... Is there anything missing or I should try?
Please note that this sim card worked in my last phone without any connection problems

APN: LTEMOBILE.APN
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS Port: 80

21 REPLIES 21
silentbuddha
I'm Qualified Level 1

Hi jaysmd,

link to supported Frequencies that your unlocked device will need to support in order to fully utilise the fido/rogers network.

Link: gsmarena network-bands CANADA

Canada

2G - GSM 850/1900

3G - UMTS 850/1700/1900

4G - LTE 1700/2600

As far as I know, Fido's current network does not support phones that run with AWS frequencies.  Your device manual should indicate what frequencies it supports. If not you can

1. search google for your phone model specs
  2. call LG tech support

If your phone does support the above mentionned frequencies.  I would probably recommend resetting the entire device and then start from scratch again by entering all the settings manually.  Check if your nano sim gold contacts are still plated...if it looks worn out that may also be an issue.  Worst case get sim replacement.  If all else fails you may have a defective phone  < please dont shoot the messenger Smiley >

Thanks

Silent

PS...Hi fellow moderators....do we have a place in the forum where people can easily find out what network band/frequencies that Fido/Rogers is currently using.  I tried searching but i couldn't find any techinical info.  Updated info such as this would be useful info to share Smiley

Hello Silent,

Thanks for the input!

While the information in that link may be true for Canada as a whole, Fido/Rogers does not use UMTS 1700 MHz. There are also some LTE frequencies which are not listed.

**edit**

@silentbuddha wrote:

As far as I know, Fido's current network does not support phones that run with AWS frequencies.  ...

Advanced wireless services (AWS) refers to a specific band or frequency set, band 4 (1700/2100 MHz). While Fido/Rogers' UMTS network does not support AWS, their LTE network does.**

@silentbuddha wrote:

PS...Hi fellow moderators....do we have a place in the forum where people can easily find out what network band/frequencies that Fido/Rogers is currently using.  I tried searching but i couldn't find any techinical info.  Updated info such as this would be useful info to share Smiley

I think you can find the information you're looking for here. Perhaps that thread needs a new title? Wink

Cheers

Jaysmd

Ok these connection drop outs have become more frequent. I can also see a 10 page thread where Samsung s7 users are having the same problem. The network obviously hasn't been updated to fully support these newer flagship phones. I can find no indication that others on various networks even remotely have a similar issue. I'll be changing provider

@Jaysmd wrote:
Ok these connection drop outs have become more frequent. I can also see a 10 page thread where Samsung s7 users are having the same problem. The network obviously hasn't been updated to fully support these newer flagship phones. I can find no indication that others on various networks even remotely have a similar issue. I'll be changing provider

Hello again,

Have you considered testing another SIM? I understand your current SIM worked in your old phone, but they are not indestructible.

Before you change providers, you might consider testing one of their SIMs in your phone. I understand you believe your issue stems from a problem with the network. There are certainly some Samsung S7 and S7 edge users who are experiencing a similar problem to yours. However, there does not seem to be any other LG G5 users having problems -- at least they haven't posted about them. I'm not saying the problems with your phone are not due to issues with the network. It is possible. I just would have expected more LG G5 users to have come forward.

Cheers

Dezign

@Cawtau wrote:

@Jaysmd wrote:

Hello again,

Have you considered testing another SIM? I understand your current SIM worked in your old phone, but they are not indestructible.

Before you change providers, you might consider testing one of their SIMs in your phone. I understand you believe your issue stems from a problem with the network. There are certainly some Samsung S7 and S7 edge users who are experiencing a similar problem to yours. However, there does not seem to be any other LG G5 users having problems -- at least they haven't posted about them. I'm not saying the problems with your phone are not due to issues with the network. It is possible. I just would have expected more LG G5 users to have come forward.

Cheers

Hi Cawtau,

I am one of those Samsung S7edge users who's experiencing this problem.  Is there any help?  Been happening for over a month.  Technical support has been extremely slow and frustrating.

Regards,

@Dezign

Did you try disabling VoLTE?

Dezign

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@Dezign

Did you try disabling VoLTE?

Hi KAPABLE-K,

Yes I have tried, seems to work better for a couple of days - then the problem comes back.

Regards,

@Dezign I wish I had an easy fix to make everything work for you.

I strongly believe that all the connection issues that has been plaguing the Samsung phones is due to the VoLTE network. When Rogers Fido introduce it last year on the S6 it was the same problem and I don't believe it has been fixed correctly as yet thats why they are not releasing the Android M update for the S6. 

I would suggest you call Fido and have them disable the VoLTE from your line and their side and keep it disable on your phone and it should help. 

Dezign

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@Dezign I wish I had an easy fix to make everything work for you.

I strongly believe that all the connection issues that has been plaguing the Samsung phones is due to the VoLTE network. When Rogers Fido introduce it last year on the S6 it was the same problem and I don't believe it has been fixed correctly as yet thats why they are not releasing the Android M update for the S6. 

I would suggest you call Fido and have them disable the VoLTE from your line and their side and keep it disable on your phone and it should help. 

Thanks, I'm still talking to tech support so I will try.  I'll give an update if this gets fixed.

@Cawtau the only problem is his G5 is an international version and not one from Fido.

@KAPABLE-K wrote:

@Cawtau the only problem is his G5 is an international version and not one from Fido.

Hello,

Thank you. I was aware of that fact. However, their premise was that since their phone wasn't fully compatible with the networks then the network 'obviously hasn't been updated to fully support these newer flagship phones.' I merely pointed out that other G5s (yes, likely obtained from Fido) -- also considered flagship phones -- did not seem to experience the same issues. The issues were apparently unique to their version phone. There was a compatibility issue between their phone and the network. One cannot come to broad conclusions based on outlier circumstances. 

Cheers

Jaysmd

My g5 is international version. I switched to Virgin and everything is good now

@Jaysmd wrote:
My g5 is international version. I switched to Virgin and everything is good now

Hello again,

Glad to hear your phone's working properly now.

Out of curiosity, did you try a new SIM from Fido? If you didn't and it was an issue with your SIM, it's possible any new SIM would have allowed your phone to work without issue.

Cheers

FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Hey @Jaysmd, i'm sorry to hear you left us. It's odd that it worked with another carrier and not with us. Let us know if you ever change your mind and want to come back. Smiley

@Jaysmd does your G5 have the VoLTE option?

Cawtau
Senior MVP

@Jaysmd wrote:
I recently purchased an international unlocked LG G5 model h860.
I have been having this problem that will happen randomly 6+ times a day where although my phone shows I have a 4g connection I can't access the Internet at all.. Toggling aeroplane mode doesn't fix it and after a restart it's fine again until next time... It's almost like it gets stuck in limbo transferring between a 4g and 3g connection.
I had to enter the apn settings manually and this is what I'm using.... Is there anything missing or I should try?
Please note that this sim card worked in my last phone without any connection problems

APN: LTEMOBILE.APN
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: 205.151.11.13
MMS Port: 80

Hello Jaysmd,

Welcome to the community!

From the specifications I have found online, it seems as though that phone does have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G, '3G', and LTE. 

Could you clarify whether you have been able to access the internet at all with your phone? Additionally, could you also clarify whether your phone shows 4G or LTE?

In the mean time, have you tried to use all small letters for ltemobile.apn? One community member noted that their phone would only work with non-capitols.

Have you tried to turn roaming data on? Some international phones think they are roaming when they are outside their originating area, even though they are using a local SIM.

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

Jaysmd

Hi,

I get 4g and not lte...
It works majority of the time and I have a data connection with up to 20mb speed until this issue occurs and 4g is still displayed but there is no connection to data when you enter apps or browser... This is when I need to restart phone to gain a connection again.
I have also tried upper and lower case for the apn address...
Is there anything else to change in the settings??
I have also reset network settings and reset apn settings to default numerous times...
I haven't tried data roaming switched on yet but i dont think this would be related but I'll give it a try

Hello again,

Hmm, that's interesting... The next time you're connected to 4G and are able to get data, could you check in your phone's status to see what network the phone is on (and band/frequency, if available)? Normally, 4G would suggest the phone was connected to the UMTS or WCDMA network using HSPA+. That would mean the phone was having issues switching '3G' protocols (H+ to H) rather than switching networks (LTE to UMTS). However, it's possible that phone does not have a separate denotation for LTE.

You noted that your SIM worked previously in your last phone. Were you getting '3G' and LTE with that phone?

**edit** You might consider a trial with LTE turned off. Some of the other phones were having issues switching networks and having the phones set to GSM/UMTS seemed to help. I know it's not ideal, but it may help identify the issue.**

Cheers

Jaysmd

Hi again

It doesn't give me the finer details in status just that I'm connected to Fido... Is there an android app that can give me the information we require?

In regards to last phone. It was 4g and working fine. It's only since using the new phone and setting up my own apn settings

@Jaysmd wrote:
Hi again

It doesn't give me the finer details in status just that I'm connected to Fido... Is there an android app that can give me the information we require?

In regards to last phone. It was 4g and working fine. It's only since using the new phone and setting up my own apn settings

Hello again,

I'm not familiar with any apps that would provide that information. However, there should be some secret codes for that phone that will allow access to the phone's service mode. Those codes would likely be manufacturer (or even phone) specific so the code for my Samsung would probably not work. You might consider searching online for the codes specific to your phone. 

Your old phone showed 4G rather than LTE? Have you verified that your SIM is LTE-capable? If you still have access to your old phone, what APN was it using? Are you able to test your SIM in your old phone again? SIMs can get damaged during transfer.

Have you verified the phone has the most recent software updates?

Cheers