Service fees - separate invoice

SOLVED
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello,

I called customer service last Friday to request that my son receive his own invoice instead of having his number on my invoice.

The rep explained that she would have to do a credit check, my son accepted, and she put us on hold. After 35 minutes on hold, we called Fido from another line while we still waited on hold. We explained the issue to the new rep who suggested we hang up and she would process the request. She also informed us that there was a $35 service fee. We were not told this by the other rep before she put us on hold.

First, let me take a moment to emphasize that service fees are a cash grab pure and simple, especially for loyal long-time customers. Also, there is no accountability for the rep who put us on hold for so long as there were no notes in our file according to the new rep who was trying to help us. In fact, the new rep told us that their policy is to inform the customer immediately if the request incurs any fees. We did not proceed with our request and preferred to go to a store to see about getting a new phone.

My son went to a store the next day and entered into a contract for an iPhone 8 Plus. As I was reviewing the contract that came by email (since his phone is still attached to my invoice), I noticed a "$30 transaction fee (for the processing of your service request)". Here we go again, a fee to process a request....who is supposed to process the requests if not the rep, the customer? Add to this the fact that my son's phone is still on my invoice and we still have to pay for $35 to process that request (to get his own separate invoice). I have not done a recent review of other mobile companies but I recall that one of them in the past advertisted that they did away with the so-called "service fee, upgrade fee, one-time transaction, call-it-anything-cash-grab fee". It is simply disheartening to do business when such practices are in place and I underscore again especially for long-time loyal customers. If it were possible to process the change online on my own, I would appreciate that option in the same way I can go to the self-serve check out at the grocery store. 

Finally, my request is that my son have his own invoice without additional phones, or give us other options to make the request online (that would assure that we don't get put on hold for 40 minutes without results either).

Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Re: Service fees - separate invoice

Solved by Moderator

Hey @Vou!

First, let me apologise for the long hold time. We normally check back with our clients during the hold to provide updates. I also agree that the fee should have been mentioned to you up-front. That's not the level of service we expect to provide our clients.

As for the $35 TOR (transfer of responsibility) fee, it's used to cover our costs for processing this particular transaction. I would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention. Smiley

Regarding the $30 transaction fee, that one is waived if you order hardware upgrade through our website. Thus, the fee is applied in store and for orders over the phone/chat/social media.

I hope this clarifies this for you.

Let us know if you have more questions and/or concern. We'll be happy to help. Smiley

View solution in context
3 REPLIES 3

Hello,

I reviewed the Agreement and there is no mention that fees can be charged for transfer of responsibility. Why is this not part of the terms of service or the Agreement? I did not have this information when I got the second line; I may have made a different choice had I been advised or had it been explicit in the Agreement. Transparency is important and it is not fair practice to charge fees that I had no way of knowing would be charged if I wanted to separate the other line from my invoice. As for "covering costs" for processing such a transaction, there are plenty of businesses that require to validate a client's credit, yet they do not pass on such costs to the customer. Why does Fido?

Hey @Vou!

To add up on what FidoPhilippe said, you would find more information about our administrative charges here. Those charges are subject to change and are not part of any service agreement And yes, other competitors do have similar fees you can refer to their websites to learn more.. On that note, your service agreement is related to your Fido services, plan, device and options. Any charge related to setting up the service will also be included in it.

As for the transaction fee in store, this is always charged and mentioned with the transaction. It is conditional to us processing your request. The fee helps Fido cover the costs of processing the orders, as well as managing and restocking the inventory. These costs occur whether you are ordering a device with or without term and agreement discount It can be voided if you activate a brand new line on a new account on Fido.ca (adding additional lines are not eligible) or if you process a hardware upgrade on Fido.ca for any existing line on your account.

Part of our policy for any new purchase (activation or hardware upgrade) is the satisfaction guarantee. You would have 15 days to return the device to the point of purchase. You can find more info here too.

To clarify your current options, you would have the following scenarios to choose from :

1. Activate a new account and line under your son's name. Doing so online on Fido.ca will avoid the $30 transaction fee and the $35 charge too as no transfer is needed anymore. Keep in mind that this method will create a new Fido number for your son, his current number on you account will need to be cancelled if it's not needed anymore after completing the device return in store.
  2. Complete the device return in store, and complete the hardware upgrade online on Fido.ca while you son's line is on your account. Doing so, will not charge you the $30 transaction fee but simply the $35 transfer fee when you complete it later on. Keep in mind that the eligibility period after the upgrade is 60 days.
  3. Complete the transfer at $35, then you son can do a hardware upgrade 60 days later on his account.

Hope this clarifies, and let us know if you have any questions.

Hey @Vou!

First, let me apologise for the long hold time. We normally check back with our clients during the hold to provide updates. I also agree that the fee should have been mentioned to you up-front. That's not the level of service we expect to provide our clients.

As for the $35 TOR (transfer of responsibility) fee, it's used to cover our costs for processing this particular transaction. I would like to thank you for bringing it to our attention. Smiley

Regarding the $30 transaction fee, that one is waived if you order hardware upgrade through our website. Thus, the fee is applied in store and for orders over the phone/chat/social media.

I hope this clarifies this for you.

Let us know if you have more questions and/or concern. We'll be happy to help. Smiley