Sending and receiving duplicate texts

markerizza
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Ever since I joined fido (last month) and got a new phone unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 I've been getting duplicate texts ranging from 2-7 duplicates. I am also getting failed text messages when sending to people from other phone companies. I contacted fido many times regarding this issue.. first was a network reset and after a few hours the issue came back. The second time I was told to delete some stock apps which didn't solve the problem.. this has now become a big issue to me. If there is anyone with the same issue and got it resolved, it will be great to have some help

35 REPLIES 35
kidklassic83
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hello, I have a Samsung S6 and am having this issue. Please advise.

Hey @kidklassic83,

I've answered your other post Smiley

Abucks
I'm a Participant Level 1

I've been having the same issue with my S7 as well since picking it up from Fido in August. Having read others comments about switching off VoLTE I'll give that a try and see if it works.

That's the solution we've found to be working for now. We're still looking into resolving this once and for all.

You can give it a try for now and keep us updated on the results!

camp0619
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hey guys,

I just switched from Koodo to Fido a couple of weeks ago, and bought a new S7 Edge while doing so. Ever since, my friends have been complaining that they've been receiving duplicate texts from me.

I have just disabled VoLTE, like a few of you have recommended, to see if it will correct the problem. But regardless, this is rather frustrating. You would think, in 2016, and with a $1000 cell phone, these issues would not be happening. This did not happen when I used to be with Telus, and later Koodo.

But its all good. Lets hope it gets fixed down the road.

mrgaryz

This issue has been around for so long. Its upsetting that Fido/Rogers does not send out a fix and forces users to go out to look for a fix. It has been over a month and still no fix. At least VoLTE isn't a must have option but still. We are paying for a service that has to be turned off since it causes problems. So frustrating..

mrgaryz

This was always an issue since the VoLTE problem that happened earlier this year. Phones would be dropped and mutiple text messages will be sent/recieved. It seem to have gotten worst the past few weeks. 

I am running Note 5 on 5.0.1. 
Failing send txt messages and the person I am sending it to will get 2-4 of the same message. 

Hi @mrgaryz,

How often do your text messages not get through? 

mrgaryz

Its spotty with messages not going through. Ranging from 5 to 10 times a day. Really depending on how much I text. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to get it to go through even with full reception.

Thank you for the information @mrgaryz

Can you tell us if you had the chance to reset the device? If so, did you notice any improvement with the text messaging afterwards? 

mrgaryz

Yes, I did a hard reset on the Note 5 after the last update in hope It would fix the problem but nope. Still the same problem

@mrgaryz thank you for the updates! 

I am going to send you a PM so we can take a closer look into this together. Smiley 

markerizza

VoLTE is disable, and so far I got a double text from a friend that is on WIND mobile. Not sure whether that is an issue on my end or theirs

Is your phone still getting double/triple texts? So far 5 days in since rep from T-Booth turned off VoLTE not one time did my wife have double/triple text sent or received.
markerizza

@SpiltBwater wrote:
Is your phone still getting double/triple texts? So far 5 days in since rep from T-Booth turned off VoLTE not one time did my wife have double/triple text sent or received.

An update, haven't been sending double texts, but have been receiving double texts from my SO. Also been getting failed messages sent errors.

Lily12
I'm a Participant Level 2

I am having this problem too. I just disabled my VoLTE, so we will see if that helps. I get dropped calls about 95% of the time too. My finace has same phone (Samsung 6) but he is with Koodoo and has never had probems. It seems like these are common issues. I hope someone figures out whats going on. 

markerizza

@Lily12 wrote:

I am having this problem too. I just disabled my VoLTE, so we will see if that helps. I get dropped calls about 95% of the time too. My finace has same phone (Samsung 6) but he is with Koodoo and has never had probems. It seems like these are common issues. I hope someone figures out whats going on. 

Let us know if it helps. I've been noticing a few dropped calls which hasn't been really an issue to me. I hope disabling the VoLTE resolves the issue for you as well

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey @Lily12

We replied to your other post right here

FidoClaudia

Hey @markerizza,

Welcome to our Community Smiley

Are you using the regular messaging app or another one? 

Have you tried booting your phone in safe mode? To do so, follow these steps:

1. Press and hold the Power key.
  2. As soon as you can see the ‘Samsung Galaxy S7’ on the screen, release the Power key and immediately hold the Volume Down key.
  3. Continue holding the Volume Down button until the device finishes rebooting.
  4. You may release it when you can see ‘Safe mode’ in the bottom left corner of the screen.

This will disable all third-party apps. Once this is done, can you try sending yourself a message and let me know if you're getting a duplicate?

As for the failed messages, it strictly only happens with numbers using other carriers? Do all the messages sent to other Fido numbers go through normally?

markerizza

I am using the built in messaging app

I am testing if there are duplicates right now while on safe mode, will update if it resolves the issue.

The failed messages happens with people from other carriers as well