Sending MMS on iPhone

Sending MMS on iPhone

Sending MMS on iPhone

SOLVED
jace829
I'm a Participant Level 3

Sending MMS on iPhone

I have an iPhone and an unlimited text/picture messaging plan with Fido. If I need to turn on cellular data in order to send MMS in the Messages app, would this count towards my data usage?

I would assume then the safest bet is to turn off iMessages but leave cellular data on in order to send picture messages without having them count towards data usage?

Accepted Solution

Re: Sending MMS on iPhone

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello Jace829,

It is true that data needs to be enabled on your phone or device in order to send/receive MMS. It is also true that any data contained within MMS does not count against your data allotments (note the data within MMS when roaming does count as roaming data).

It should be noted that multimedia message services (MMS) are not limited to just photo or video messages. Most iPhones have the option to add a Subject line to the messages (similar to email subject lines). However, including a subject line automatically convert SMS to MMS. You can disable the subject field: Go to Settings --> Messages --> Show Subject Field --> Off. However, since you have unlimited SMS/MMS with your plan, it shouldn't be an issue for yourself.

You are correct. If your device sends an iMessage rather than a MMS, then the data within the message would count against your data allotment. I'm not sure if there are other settings which might prevent iMessage from using data (ie Wifi-only), so your safest bet might be to turn it off altogether.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello Jace829,

It is true that data needs to be enabled on your phone or device in order to send/receive MMS. It is also true that any data contained within MMS does not count against your data allotments (note the data within MMS when roaming does count as roaming data).

It should be noted that multimedia message services (MMS) are not limited to just photo or video messages. Most iPhones have the option to add a Subject line to the messages (similar to email subject lines). However, including a subject line automatically convert SMS to MMS. You can disable the subject field: Go to Settings --> Messages --> Show Subject Field --> Off. However, since you have unlimited SMS/MMS with your plan, it shouldn't be an issue for yourself.

You are correct. If your device sends an iMessage rather than a MMS, then the data within the message would count against your data allotment. I'm not sure if there are other settings which might prevent iMessage from using data (ie Wifi-only), so your safest bet might be to turn it off altogether.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers