Sell my Iphone 4

Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Sell my Iphone 4

I have an Iphone4 bought from Fido. I want to switch to a Galaxy Note, however I have to purchase the Galaxy Note from Rogers becuase Fido is so behind the times on the hotest thing..., but in order finance this change I have to be able to sell my iphone 4.

So my question is, since there is still time on the agreement, how do I get it so my new Galaxy Note will carry out the contract and release the iphones IMEI so I can sell my Iphone 4 ??

I don't want the buyer to have problems trying to activate the Iphone on a new Fido sim after I sell it to him?

I always thought the subsidised phone you buy is yours to do with whay you like, that why you sign a contract, but I am reading that Fido may not reassign the IMEI to someone else if hte contract is not complete ??

Can somone form FIDO explain this please??

Accepted Solution

Re: Sell my Iphone 4

Hi there dsnowden,

I believe you may have confused this with the unlocking policy. In order for Fido to SIM unlock your device, the agreement must have been completed.

Now, with regards to your intentions, the IMEI is not locked to Fido or your account. Someone else would be able to insert their MicroSIM and use it right away (provided they are with Fido). If the potential buyer is with another service provider, then the phone would indeed need to be unlocked, which can not be done by Fido if the agreement is ongoing.

The only thing that I would point out is that the warranty is through your account (1 year from the date the IMEI was registered as a device on your account). 

Hopefully this helps!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi there dsnowden,

I believe you may have confused this with the unlocking policy. In order for Fido to SIM unlock your device, the agreement must have been completed.

Now, with regards to your intentions, the IMEI is not locked to Fido or your account. Someone else would be able to insert their MicroSIM and use it right away (provided they are with Fido). If the potential buyer is with another service provider, then the phone would indeed need to be unlocked, which can not be done by Fido if the agreement is ongoing.

The only thing that I would point out is that the warranty is through your account (1 year from the date the IMEI was registered as a device on your account). 

Hopefully this helps!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted

Well you sorta answered my question.......

Just to confirm then Fido Customer Service!!

I can sell my current Iphone to someone else, and they can come into any fido store and buy a new sim for the iphone get it activated and they would be on their merry way?  Is this correct?  Even though I bought that phone on a 3 year contract and it has not completed yet??

Then I can take my Fido activated sim care from my old Iphone I sold as per above and put in another phone of my choice that works on Fido and carry on with my new phone with my contract.\\

Do I have this correct??

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
I'm an Expert Level 2
I'm an Expert Level 2

Yes that is all correct with the only caveat that the microSIM from your iPhone 4 will only fit other iPhone 4 and 4S. If you buy another model then you would have to also buy a SIM ($10) and transfer your account to the new SIM. You can do that online or through customer service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 4