Scammed - Phone Unlocking

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

Scammed - Phone Unlocking

This is horrible, I am seriously annoyed at the way I have been treated by Fido. Especially given the fact that I have been a customer with them since my arrival in Canada in 2010.

Given my status as an international customer and I have to be between two countries, sometimes on short notice, I have been purchasing unlocked phones since the beginning. Never have I accepted to take a contract for those phones locking you to your provider. In fact, this was the number one reason why I have decided to get my service from Fido.

From the past, this has been no problem, I've had purchased phones at full price. Not signing any contract and denying any type of phone locking possibilities due to my situation. I am baffled... to see that I have been LIED TO. I have recently purchased a Galaxy Samsung S7 from Fido at FULL PRICE UNLOCKED (THIS IS NOT CHEAP, YOU CHARGED ME 50$ TO USE MY FIDO CREDITS TOO, OF COURSE ITS SMALL TEXT FOR REEDEMING SO ITS FINE)

"You can go to a desert, put a sim card in it and it will NEVER BE UNLOCKED SIR!" I was told with perhaps the most hypocritical smile ever now that I have realized. Now I am in Mauritius, I have purchased a Sim Card for my time here and IT IS LOCKED. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS? SIM NETWORK UNLOCK PIN?

How could such a thing happen, this is disgusting, unethical and immoral to lie to a paying customer. I have PURPOSEDLY PURCHASED THE PHONE ON FULL PRICE AND NOT ON A CONTRACT TO BE ABLE TO USE ANY CARRIER OUTSIDE OF CANADA. AND NOW I GET THIS? 

This is UNACCEPTABLE. I shall be contacting Fido on their INTERNATIONAL CALL LINE BECAUSE OF COURSE THERE IS A TIME DIFFERENCE AND OF COURSE I HAVE TO PAY INTERNATIONAL CALLING FROM A LANDLINE.

I am seriously dissappointed and you guys are going to hear from me as soon as I land back in Canada

Sincerely,

A very disatisfied customer

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Scammed - Phone Unlocking

Hey @iSeen and welcome to the Community.

I hear you but it's important for you to know that buying a phone at full price doesn't mean that it's unlocked already.

We have a blog here on the Community that gives you all details about unlocking your device.

If you have any questions about this, we will be happy to assist you here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 3
Highlighted
I'm Qualified Level 1
I'm Qualified Level 1

Re: Scammed - Phone Unlocking

You know, I have been with Fido since 1998 and the phones sold to customers (regardless of buying the phone out right or in a contract agreement) via cellular service provider in Canada has always been carrier locked with the exception of the Nexus and Pixel (google) branded phones.  I am quite surpried you didn't found this out until now.

There are cell phone shops you can go to purchase unlocked phones at full price instead of buying them via the carrier.  You can also buy them directly from Google or Samsung and the phone will come unlocked.  The downside to that is that you will have to manually input all the carrier specific settings into the phone when you plug in their SIM card whereas if you buy it from the carrier (e.g., Fido) everything would be done for you.

Go study the fine print when you purchase the phone and turn away from the purchase if you don't agree with it. It's all in the fine print. 

I agree that Carrier should unlock the phone for the customer for free if one buys the phone outright; however, the conditions is written on the paperwork and agreed upon during a sale so it is silly to complaint afterwards.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 3