Satay & Peanut Sauce

Satay & Peanut Sauce

Satay & Peanut Sauce

Cawtau
Senior MVP

Satay & Peanut Sauce

Not my photoNot my photo

Ingredients:

• 1 lb pork loin, cut into 2-cm thick chops, chicken, or beef (If using chicken, both dark and white meat work very well. If using beef, choose a tender cut)
  • ¼ cup coconut milk for basting
  • Small 6-inch bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 2-3 hours

Marinade

• 1 ½ tsp coriander seeds, toasted
  • ½ tsp cumin seeds, toasted
  • ¼ tsp white peppercorns
  • 1 Tbsp lemongrass, chopped
  • 1 tsp galangal, minced
  • 1 tsp chopped fresh turmeric or ½ tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground clove
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • ½ Tbsp white vinegar or rice wine vinegar
  • ⅓ cup coconut milk
  • ¼ cup water

Peanut Sauce

• 2 Tbsp red curry paste, panang curry paste, or massaman curry paste
  • 1¼ cup coconut milk
  • ½ cup roasted peanuts
  • 2 Tbsp toasted white sesame seeds (or substitute 2 Tbsp more peanuts)
  • 1-2 tsp fish sauce
  • 2 Tbsp finely chopped palm sugar
  • 2-3 Tbsp tamarind juice

Directions:

Cut the pork chops in half along the length of the fatty rind. Then slice each piece, along the short side, into 1/4-inch thick pieces. If using beef, cut into thin slices against the grain. If using chicken, cut into small strips.

For the marinade: Grind coriander, cumin seeds, and white peppercorns in a mortar and pestle (or food processor) until very fine, then add galangal, lemongrass and fresh turmeric (if using); pound until fine. Add turmeric powder (if using), cinnamon, clove, brown sugar, vinegar, coconut milk, and water; stir to mix well.

Pour the marinade over the meat, massage with your hands, making sure that no pieces of meat are stuck together. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours or overnight.

For the peanut sauce: In a food processor, grind the peanuts into a fine meal. If using sesame seeds, grind them into a fine meal using a spice/coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle, being careful not to over grind them into sesame butter.

In a small pot over medium heat, reduce 1/4 cup of the coconut milk by about half. Add curry paste and cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes until it is very thick. If it thickens too quickly, add a splash of coconut milk to help loosen it up.

Stir in the rest of the coconut milk, ground peanuts, ground sesame seeds (if using), fish sauce, palm sugar and tamarind juice. Simmer for a few more minutes until it has thickened into a dip consistency, stirring frequently to prevent the bottom from scorching.

Taste and adjust seasoning with more sugar, fish sauce, and tamarind juice as needed.

To Cook: Ideally, these should be grilled; however, you do not have to grill them. You can also sear the skewers on a skillet on both sides to get a nice browning on the meat. You can also cook them in a hot oven (>400°F) in a single layer on rack-lined baking sheet. The meat should be in small enough pieces that they cook thoroughly before burning.

Preheat the grill to medium.

Skewer the meat onto bamboo skewers, about 3 pieces to each skewer, and lay them flat on a tray. Brush the top side of the skewers with coconut milk, then place on the grill, coconut-nut-milk-side-down. Brush the other side with coconut milk and grill for a minute or so just until it is halfway cooked. Flip the skewers and grill the other side just until done. These are small and thin skewers and should only take a couple of minutes to grill, so watch them carefully and do not overcook them!

Enjoy! Smiley

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5
sc7982
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Love Satay....remind of home.

sc7982

I tried making the satay and it was good...yummy...and I made my own quick and easy satay sauce..check it out.

PEANUT SATAY SAUCE

1 onion, Medium size (peeled and finely chopped)

1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)

10 grams olive oil

150 grams crunchy peanut butter

10 grams soy sauce

10 grams fresh lemon juice

10 grams brown sugar

165 grams coconut milk

1. Sautee Onion and Garlic with olive oil for 3 minutes.
  2. Mix in the remaining ingredients and cook for 3 minutes.
  3. Vola...you have peanut sauce.
sc7982

I made another sauce to go with the Satay and my niece love it because she cannot eat peanuts due to allergies. Check it out.

Thai Sweet Pepper Sauce (20 Mins)

Ingredients

• 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
  • 2 Sweet Peppers, (deseeded)
  • ¼ cup white distilled vinegar
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¾ cup water
  • ½ tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch (See note #2 below.)
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • Instructions
  1. In the blender, purée together all the ingredients, except for the last two.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
  3. Lower the heat to medium & simmer until the pepper bits soften (3 minutes).
  4. Combine the cornstarch and water and whisk into pepper mixture until the sauce thicken slightly.
wickie
I'm Helpful Level 1

- While a somewhat time-consuming and compex recipe, I so love Indian food that I will most certainly try this one. Thanks!

Hello Wickie,

Thanks for the interest! They are Southeast Asian rather than Indian, though. Yes, there are a few bits and pieces to go through, but they're well worth it! You can purchase store bought satay marinades and ready-made peanut sauces, but they can't compare to the home-made versions.

If you do decide to try them, hope you like them Smiley

Cheers