Samsung S4 SIM card problem

Pheng
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi.

I have been having problems with my Samsung Galaxy S4 recently.. Most of the time, I would get the message of "We couldn't detect your SIM card so we will restart the system" something similar as that. And then a few days later, it would just say there is no sim card insert in my device.

So I took off my SIM card, used it on another device and it works. So I guess my S4 overheated and couldnt read my SIM card. Is there any solutions to get my phone repaired as soon as possible? Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
dchahal

Hi Lalli, the problem is within the phone itself. Is your phone overheating?
I have tried getting a new aim reader but that did not work either. I gave up and now im using an iPhone.
Lali
I'm a Participant Level 3

The problem seems to be more frequent now because of the cold. I don't think it is an overheating issue, just gets cold. I think a small shim (piece of paper) will help me during the winter time or I just got to keep my phone in a different pocket.

Fidouser6

I don't think the problem is with the phone... At least not mine, because I put in my phone another SIM card (another non-Canadian carrier) and it works fine. Furthermore, I put my FIDO SIM card in another phone and that work too. 

After a long process of trial and elimination, I concluded that the problem is from the FIDO SIM. the reason why it worked on another phone though is probably because newer phones (most probably) are equipped with better SIM card readers. 

YET THE DAZZLING THING IS THAT MY SIM CARD WORKED JUST FINE ON MY S4 FOR 6 MONTHS AND IT JUST DECIDED BY ITSELF TO STOP WORKING!!!

Hey Fidouser6!

Welcome to the Community!

Do you mean that your phone is having difficulty reading your SIM card?

If you put your SIM card in another phone and it worked, then it's likely that the cause is your phone. 

Are you certain that the SIM card reader or casing isn't damaged? 

Let us know!

sam10
I'm a Participant Level 1

no..i tried all those things

Hey @sam10

Can you give us a little more of a break down of the issue you are experiencing?

Fidouser6

If anyone from FIDO customer service has an answer, that would be great!! I would really hate to have to change my carrier, and I'm convinced that the issue is FIDO's not my phone's

dchahal

My S4 has been giving me the same problem. Randomly it will give me a message saying SIm Card not detected please restart. 80% of the time it will not read the sim once restarted but when it does read the sim, it will give me an error again and will restart again.

I have tried the following already:

1. Clear Cache

2. Factory reset

3. Changed Sim card ( three times)

4. Replaced the old Sim reader with a new Sim reader.

5. Someone said stick a small piece of paper under the SIm, well that dont work either.

6. Someone said it might be over heating but it doesnt work when its cold either.

Now another thing someone said was that it might the Sim Card. I have seen Rogers sim card and Bell. Both of those providers rpovide a Sim Card which is for Samung S4 and is also a SIm card made out of one single piece. Problem with Fido Sim is that it can be popped out in order to use it as a Sim card made for Iphone 6 ( I believe for Samsung Micro Nano Sim is used and for Iphone it is Nano Sim which is smaller in size than the S4). Just because Fido Sim card can be popped out to make it smaller, i believe there is some space or some allignment on the card which is causing the Sim to be not read. I might be wrong but again I did not find any other answers. I have only had this phone for a year which really sucks because $700 for a phone which doesnt even last me 2 years. They recommended me to take my phone to Samsung repair center. I called the center and they told me it might be the motherboard that might need replacement. I asked how much will that cost me and the person told me a price which led me to cutting the call right away.

Lali
I'm a Participant Level 3

Just saw the issue tonight too first time. Although I've had my S4 since May 2013, don't know if it's the phone or another service