Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Connectivity Issues

Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Connectivity Issues

Hello,

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge for about 2 weeks now and everything seemed fine for the first week.

The 2nd week I noticed that my 4G/LTE drops and I'm left with just the full signal bars. When this happens I lose all data and phone connections. I cannot place a call, text, or go onto the internet. In order to solve this I've been restarting the phone and it seems to work for a few hours and then does the same thing. (Quicker fix is to reset network settings). Although restarting the phone and resetting network settings makes the phone work, it is only a temporary fix and I don't believe I should be doing this that often.

I've already replaced the sim card today for $10.50 hoping it was just the sim. It worked for a few hours longer and now it is doing the same thing.

To Fido,

Is there currently an issue with the network?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Connectivity Issues

Hey everyone,

The Android 7.0 update is now live for the S7 & S7 Edge.

Along with Nougat, this update includes a fix for the connectivity issues reported in this thread. Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to flag this and provide your examples. 

Please let us know how it goes!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 244
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Any update here Fido? I'm sure I'm not the only one eagerly waiting for a resolution to the issue at hand. I don't want this thread to get buried behind all the iPhone 7 related posts only to be forgotten. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 151 of 244
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @TraJiK

Don't worry it's not being buried behind, we're keeping an eye on this and as soon as we know more we'll update you here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 152 of 244
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I had the exact same problem with my S7 Edge. I sent it to samsung for repair almost 2 weeks ago and hopefully they will fix it or replace the device. Also the same sim which I was using with the edge was working perfectly with the loaner M8 they gave me.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 153 of 244
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2

Wow I was starting to think it was just an issue I had.  With the Samsung S6 Edge, every morning I'd go to place a call and get the message "Not registered to network".  The fix was restart the phone.  Then though out the day it would happen again, to the point I had to carry a second phone with Bell.

Now I have upgraded to the Samsung S7, and it does not happen as much only once or twice a day.  But running a small business and using around 3000 mins a month it is still an issue. 

I do believe it is the poor Fido coverage in Alberta!  My back up phone with Bell never has these issue,  don't get me wrong I still drop a few calls but at least that network can process the call in the first place.  I have been loyal to Fido for over 13 years now, but may need to join the Bell family if this issue is not resolved.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 154 of 244
Highlighted

Hey @u8shshi and thanks for reaching out.

We certainly don't want to see you go.

I would like to check the situation with your device with you.

I'm sending you a PM now to get this looked into.

Talk to you soon Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 155 of 244
Highlighted

Hi guys,

I'm back and here's what I can tell you.

I decided to get the new Note 7 when it came out (about a month now). And gave my Samsung S7 Edge to my sister who is now with Telus. The phone is originally unlocked and she is using Telus Sim and she has had no connectvity issues over the month shes had it. Telus would get LTE+ for her which I guess Fido doesnt have as fast a network but thats okay, my concern was the dropped connectivity I was experiencing with Fido.

Using the same Sim I had from Fido I insterted it into my Note 7. So far no dropped connectivity with calls where I would need to restart the phone to regain connectivity. However I do experience dropped LTE, 4G, and E. I would see the bars that Im still connected to the Fido network which means I should still be able to make calls and texts without restarting the phone. This happens when I go from poor reception to better reception areas so this is understandable. To regain the LTE or 4G signal back I just call my voicemail and end the call. And I get my internet connectivity back.

Conclusion:

Something about the Fido network doesnt play nice with the S7 Edge. Its not the phone so stop wasting our time with telling us to send the unit in for warranty repair. This is proven with a Telus Sim card in the S7 Edge I had previously and my Note 7 using a Fido sim card which doesnt fully drop signal like the Edge did but still does drop internet connectivity.

Hope this information helps with your investigation Fido.

Thanks!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 156 of 244
Highlighted
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @khwinner1987

Thanks for the input & feedback 😃

I just wanted to mention a quick detail here, which is that all Fido phones are sold through Fido & configured to function on our network. They're tested this way, to ensure optimal use!

Now, since unlocked phones don't go through that same process, we can't garantee at 100% that all services will function on non-Fido unlocked devices. 

For any information on "How to configure an Unlocked Device", click HERE 

Hope this helped! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 157 of 244
Highlighted

Hi Everyone!

I have been away from this thread but still actively speaking with Fido and Samsung Techs (I've made new friends). Fido has acknowledged (at least internally, therefore still unofficial) that there is a known issue with certain Samsung devices on the Fido and Roger's network.

If you have been following my posts, I sent off my device for a repair which resulted in "no faults found - no service". I finally spoke to some Fido employees in person that got my issue in the right hands. Trust me when I say they are working on it. Through my case number I get updates at least once a day on any progress or work done. A rep told me this was the "highest level he has seen a case escalate". He said its beyond management and he had limited access but could tell me both Fido and Samsung techs are updating the notes to my case daily. That is reassuring and tells me that I've gotten their attention. I thank the team working on this.

In short, a software update is in the works for us. In the meantime we can all assist them by giving them fresh feedback every few days so they can narrow it down. You can imagine how frustrating troubleshooting can be if the changes you make go unnoticed to confirm if it worked.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread. Keep up the good work!
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 158 of 244
Highlighted

Thank you for the update. Looking forward to what Fido/Samsung has in the works. I got my S7 Edge about a week ago and noticed this issue in 2 occasions, glad to hear something is already on the go. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 159 of 244
Highlighted

Still waiting for a fix after five months! 😔 😔
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 160 of 244