Samsung Galaxy S6 LTE Problem

ed604
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm having problems connecting to LTE. Currently I'm connected to H+.

I have a galaxy s6 (SM-G920W8) and I checked online and it looks like it SHOULD connect to the LTE network fine.

The Network Spec of the phone: 

• 2G GSM
    GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
  • 3G UMTS
    B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850)
  • 4G FDD LTE
    B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B12(700), B13(700), B17(700), B20(800)

I've talked to support and tried using different APN settings and resetting my sim and still it doesnt work.   Current APN Settings:
APN: ltemobile.apn
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: mmsproxy.fido.ca
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302

MNC: 370

Any help would be awesome! 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@ed604 wrote:

I'm having problems connecting to LTE. Currently I'm connected to H+.

I have a galaxy s6 (SM-G920W8) and I checked online and it looks like it SHOULD connect to the LTE network fine.

The Network Spec of the phone: 

• 2G GSM
    GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
  • 3G UMTS
    B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850)
  • 4G FDD LTE
    B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B12(700), B13(700), B17(700), B20(800)

I've talked to support and tried using different APN settings and resetting my sim and still it doesnt work.   Current APN Settings:
APN: ltemobile.apn
MMSC: http://mms.fido.ca
MMS Proxy: mmsproxy.fido.ca
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 302

MNC: 370

Any help would be awesome! 

Thanks

Hello Ed604,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct, the version of the S6 you have is the Canadian version and would be fully compatible with the Fido/Rogers networks. Did you purchase your phone from Fido? If not, have you verified it is unlocked?

You are also correct that the phone should be using ltemobile.apn.

Have you verified your Network mode is set to GSM/WCDMA(UMTS)/LTE autoconnect? I know it seems obvious, but sometimes it's the little things we overlook.

Had you been using a different phone on prior to this S6? If you had been using a different phone, were you able to get LTE? Is it possible your old SIM might not be LTE-capable?

Are you unable to get LTE everywhere? Have you verified that you're in a location with LTE? Access to LTE depends on your location relative to, and the available bands/frequencies of your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of the your area towers here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ed604

Hey there,

I didn't purchase it from Fido. But I'm sure the phone is unlocked because the previous owner wasn't with Fido (I forgot who he was with).

I double checked, and yes the Network mode is set to "GSM/WCDMA(UMTS)/LTE autoconnect"!

And before this, I was on an iPhone4s. I didn't have LTE on that phone but I had to get a new microSIM card for the S6. Is there a way to check if my SIM is LTE capable?

And from what I see from the map, it looks like I'm in the coverage zone.

Thanks, I appricate the help 😃

@ed604 wrote:

...Is there a way to check if my SIM is LTE capable?...

Hello again,

If it is a new SIM, then it should be LTE-capable. 

@ed604 wrote:

I didn't purchase it from Fido. But I'm sure the phone is unlocked because the previous owner wasn't with Fido (I forgot who he was with).

You might consider converting the phone to a Fido branded phone. Depending on which previous provider the phone was locked to, they may have disabled LTE (ie Wind does not have a LTE network... yet). You can find information regarding the conversion here. I'm not sure if doing so would fix your LTE issue, but it would allow your phone to receive future updates from Fido.

@ed604 wrote:

And from what I see from the map, it looks like I'm in the coverage zone... 

To clarify, were you referring to Fido's coverage map or the cellular tower map?

Do you know of anyone else with Fido? Do they also not get LTE at your location?

**edit** Are you close to a Fido location? Perhaps you might ask to try one of their SIMs in your phone. If they are able to get LTE on their phones but not yours, it would suggest the issue is with your phone. On the other hand, if you are able to get LTE using their SIM at Fido, then it would suggest the issue could be with your SIM or your location. Testing your SIM in their phones would determine whether your SIM is the issue**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ed604

Thank you for the infomation about coverting Samsung phones to Fido. I'll try that last if everything else doesn't work.

I checked on both maps! I don't think it's a location issue because I'm within the downtown core. But I will definitely head to a Fido location to test out my phone/sim! Thanks for the advice 😃