Samsung Galaxy S5 - reset loop after getting to home screen

Service interruption

An update for our valued customers: We know you depend on us and on April 19, we let you down - for this we are truly sorry. You won’t be charged for your wireless services that were impacted on Monday, April 19. A credit equivalent to that day's wireless service fee will be applied to your May bill. This will be done automatically & no action is required by you.

Click here to read more

pierreti
I'm a Participant Level 1

I haven't updated my Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900W8) to lollipop, even though the OTA update has been available, until recently.

Once I updated the phone, it was continously restarting about 5 sec after it reached the homescreen.  I have tried everything from reseting, wiping the caches, to just booting up in safe mode.  Nothing works.

The only way it will not reset loop is if I quickly press the power button once at the home screen and put the phone in airplane mode.  

From there the phone is normal.  I can turn on Bluetooth, but once I turn on Wi-Fi the phone will reset.  When I connect it to a computer via USB cable, the phone will not dected (not sure if that's due to airplane mode), so there's no way I can even update it using Samsung Kies.

This phone is not rooted, but it's out of warentee from Fido.  Does anybody have a fix for this?  I've been looking to upload a new firmware via external SDcard in the recovery mode, but I don't know which one to upload.

Does anybody have any other ideas?  The phone is basically an Android version of an iPod Touch Sad

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@pierreti wrote:

I haven't updated my Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900W8) to lollipop, even though the OTA update has been available, until recently.

Once I updated the phone, it was continously restarting about 5 sec after it reached the homescreen.  I have tried everything from reseting, wiping the caches, to just booting up in safe mode.  Nothing works.

The only way it will not reset loop is if I quickly press the power button once at the home screen and put the phone in airplane mode.  

From there the phone is normal.  I can turn on Bluetooth, but once I turn on Wi-Fi the phone will reset.  When I connect it to a computer via USB cable, the phone will not dected (not sure if that's due to airplane mode), so there's no way I can even update it using Samsung Kies.

This phone is not rooted, but it's out of warentee from Fido.  Does anybody have a fix for this?  I've been looking to upload a new firmware via external SDcard in the recovery mode, but I don't know which one to upload.

Does anybody have any other ideas?  The phone is basically an Android version of an iPod Touch Sad

*** Edited to add labels *** 

Hello Pierreti,

Welcome to the forums!

I just accidentally updated my phone recently as well. You mentioned resetting your phone, but have you tried to do a factory reset as well? I've had a couple of minor issues that I'm still working out, but from what I've researched online, many of the hardware-like issues require a factory reset. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMatt
Former Moderator

That's a tough one, 

Anyone in the COmmunity has an idea on what to do?