Samsung Galaxy Core: problem sending/receiving SMS

SOLVED
gibbopotam
I'm a Participant Level 2

Sorry, posted twice, plz delete previous

It is a white phone arrived yesterday as a replacement to a similar one having the same problem: occasinally you can neither send an SMS nor receive one. My spouse was frustrated. So I recalled my Physics background (both experimental and theoretical) and figured it out what's wrong about the phone. After a set of tests, I found the problem is in Settings/More networks/Mobile networks/Network Mode: no problem occurs if chosen is GSM/HSPA (auto connect), GSM only, or HSPA only, while the problem does exist with GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect). Well, does my wife need to send it back and order something different, say Nexus?

Model: SM-G386W

IC:649E-SMG386W

Accepted Solution

Re: Samsung Galaxy Core: problem sending/receiving SMS

Solved by I'm Qualified Level 1

It is a known issue at the moment in some areas. If I'm not mistaken I think calls don't work either.

For past few days we were collecting cases like these and reporting to tier 2 technical support but they stopped collecting cases and working on fixing issue right now.Can't give any delays unfortunetely.

It is not a phone issue tho, we are aware of it.

View solution in context
22 REPLIES 22
FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Sorry for the confusion SpiltBwater! 

There is indeed no airtime limit if the device is "defective on arrival (DOA)"  Wink 

Kristina1

I got this same phone less than two months ago. I have intermitently had a few problems with sending texts. My biggest problem is that randomly my phone will not receive calls. It took a while before I realized what is happening. but now when I even try to call myself from other phones it will go straight to voivemail and not even ring on my cellphone and not note that a call has been missed. It's like the network can't find my phone. It's very frustrating for me and the people trying to call me. I have called Fido 4 times regarding this. They have resent some type of signal to the phone a few times. The more recent more intense "resend" seemed to fix the problem for about a week but now it is happening again. Now they are telling me to reset my phone to factory settings. This is such a pain and now reading this string, I wonder if even getting a replacement one would fix the problem.

Was this issue ever fixed withthe Fido network? or for other users of this phone?

ahen57
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have had my phone since May and have the same problem, it fails to send texts and phone fails to connect sometimes.  This started happening after 2 months. I have to resatart it everytime and then it connects.  This way I havae missed calls and not aware of it.  It is very frustration because I don't use my phone too much and when I need it, it does not work sometimes.  Fido told me to take it to Samsung directly which I did 4 times.  I was told after 3 repairs I would get a replacement, but Samsung refused to give it to me because they said there was nothing wrong with the phone.  Updates was causing problems.  I went back to the Fido store and sent it for repairs through them once so far.  The customer services personnel were helpful and reset it several times and then told me that I need to send it for repairs through Fido only.  I was also told by one of Fido service staff to turn it off once a day for a bit which I have been doing and it seems to work.  The other day it again failed to send a text although the phone was working.  Will monitor it a bit and take it back to Fido if it occurs again.  I don't know why Fido or Samsung cannot solve this problem with all the new tech advancement we have made.  This is not good customer services at all and I have been a Fido customer for years.  Never had this problem before

Hey ahen57,

Welcome to the community.

I'm really sorry to learn about your experience and we definitely want to do everything we can to help!

Is your phone up to date with the latest software?

By the way, you can also reach us on facebook and Twitter Smiley

Kristina1

The problems above with my Samsung Core have continued. Fido sent it to repair 3 times. The last two times they just factory reset it and did not fix the problem. They just gave me a new Samsung Core. This new phone is having the same problem (not receiving calls, going straight to voicemail, and not indicating a missed call on the phone. The only way I ever know I missed a call is when I get a text that I have a voicemail. I'm at the end of my rope. I bought this phone almost 4 months ago and this problem has been ongoing. Any suggestions? When my SIM is in my replacement phone I have no problems. This tells me that it is a phone problem. Please help.

@Kristina1 wrote:

The problems above with my Samsung Core have continued. Fido sent it to repair 3 times. The last two times they just factory reset it and did not fix the problem. They just gave me a new Samsung Core. This new phone is having the same problem (not receiving calls, going straight to voicemail, and not indicating a missed call on the phone. The only way I ever know I missed a call is when I get a text that I have a voicemail. I'm at the end of my rope. I bought this phone almost 4 months ago and this problem has been ongoing. Any suggestions? When my SIM is in my replacement phone I have no problems. This tells me that it is a phone problem. Please help.

Hello Kristina1,

Sorry to hear you are still having the same issues with the phone. It sounds like the phone is not getting signal or at least the signal is intermittent. Does the phone show you are connected to the network? Is it a 'strong signal'? Are you able to make calls, send texts, or use the internet? If so, have you experienced any calls cut-off or sudden break in the internet?

Have you verified that your phone is using the proper APN settings? You can do so here. Additional APNs can be found here.

I understand that your SIM works in your replacement phone, but have you tried to use a different SIM? I think it's worth a try. To try to problem solve your issues we need to systematically eliminate possible causes. If your phone has the same issues with a different SIM, then at least that's one possible cause eliminated. If you brought your phone to a Fido location, you could ask them to try one of their SIMs. It's really the only way to determine whether it's a phone issue or possibly something else. As it stands, you're having the same issues with a completely different phone. I could understand a little skepticism if it was the same phone back from repair, but you said they gave you a new one. It's possible that there is a faulty batch of Galaxy Cores, but it's rather unlucky for you to get two faulty phones. 

Hope some of this helps Smiley

Cheers

OlivierMontreal

Hello,
I have the same problem in November 2015.
No incoming or outgoing sms. Incoming call goes directly in the voice mail, but I can call.
Fido changed my Sim card and Samsung has repaired my phone twice then replace it by a brand new one. But, I still have the problem.

Does Fido have a solution ?

Thanks

Hey OlivierMontreal!

Welcome to the Community!

When did this start happening? Does this happen all the time or only in specific locations? Do you have network connection when this happens and are you getting an error message?

Let us know! 

Hi Kristina1,

Welcome to Community!

Did the problem start happening only after you upgraded to Samsung Galaxy Core?

Would it be possible for you to test your sim in a different phone and see if the issue persists? 

Keep us posted!

Mesl

I got the same issue now since a month... intermittently, unable to receive nor transmit SMS... Calling helpdesk : they are not aware of any know issue (Yeah!!!) . Asking me to power off-on the cell... Yeap, working until next time. Helpdesk refer me then to boutique to get a replacement... They refuse to replace the phone... but they are sure that if I clear my sms message regulary, they probleme will go away... There is not enought memory in the LTO phone (Yeah !!! I had a Ace II before and for 2 years got all my SMS and never clear it... So they are all bull**bleep**ting me? Very frustrating ... So Still loosing SMS message and since yesterday, there is some phone calls that seems I am missing... The helpdesk change something so it recover by itself : So got 3 SMS on august 24th... and received all of them at 8:17 on august 25th !

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator

Hey Mesi,

Welcome to the cummunity! 

Is the same thing happening when you put your SIM card in another phone? This'll help us figure out if this is caused by the network or the phone.

Let us know! 

Hi, 

Please go to Setting -> More option -> Mobile networks -> Network Mode -> select 2G/3G auto ( or GSM/HSPA auto) 

This will give you more stable reception, especially while indoor. 

Kristina1

I tried this on my phone and it still didn't fix the problem.

So a phone that is sold as Galaxy Core LTE cannot function properly with LTE enabled?

Depends on your location and the LTE tower located (LTE tower may locate totally different with 3G/HSPA tower), it is possible for certain area, that your are getting better reception on 3G/2G than LTE. 

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator

Sounds good SpiltBwater Smiley 

Just keep in mind that the satisfaction guarantee includes 30 minutes of airtime. If you go over, you won't be able to bring the phone back. (There's no limit on data usage and sms)

If you get the chance, try testing out your SIM card in a different phone; this'll determine whether it's a hardware issue or not Smiley So you may not have to bring the phone back after-all.

Let us know! 

FidoRachel stated above" there is no usage limit if phone is defective".  Is the satisfaction gaurantee different then if the phone is defective in terms of returning it?  

I have done like the first poster suggested and turn off the GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect), and have turned on GSM/HSPA (auto connect).

FidoRachel
Former Moderator

Hey sketchykarl, what’s going on on your end? Any suggestions for SpiltBwater?

SpiltBwater, if you put your SIM in another phone there’s no problem? If you’re still within the first 15 days of purchase I suggest that you bring it back where you purchased it. There’s no usage limit if the phone is defective. 

Keep us posted! 

I called 611 and the agent told me to power off the phone and wait 5 mins and turn it back on.  I was able to send texts again after that.  This morning I have another 2 texts fail to send.  Will this be expected to be a daily occurance, turning phone off and on?  I will try it for bit more as I got it on Sunday, so will have bit more time to return it if it keeps happening.

sketchykarl

is there a solution for this problem?? we have had the phone since the end of september and have had nothing but problems with it. i'm so fed up i'm at the end of my rope. sms won't work and calls don't work to recieve and send it's caused fights with my gf and I. i have  phoned 611 at least a dozen times and have been told to change the sim card. i think its a problem with the phone on the network because we had a replacement sent to us twice (once for a broken screen and once because they sent the wrong color) and all of the phones have had this problem!!