SMS Messages with Subject Fail to Deliver

jfklein
I'm a Participant Level 3

I am having a problem sending SMS messages from my iPhone 5s.

It seems that when I fill in the subject line in on an SMS message it does not get delivered correctly. I have tested this by sending messages to my sister, who also uses Fido. When I send her an SMS message with the subject line filled in, what she receives is an SMS message with only the text from the subject line, and a link to download the body of the message, similar to a voice mail notification. (This is what my sister tells me. I haven't seen the received messages first hand.)

I have stopped using the subject line as a fix. But, does anyone know how to correct this problem?

2 REPLIES 2
Cawtau
Senior MVP

@jfklein wrote:

I am having a problem sending SMS messages from my iPhone 5s.

It seems that when I fill in the subject line in on an SMS message it does not get delivered correctly. I have tested this by sending messages to my sister, who also uses Fido. When I send her an SMS message with the subject line filled in, what she receives is an SMS message with only the text from the subject line, and a link to download the body of the message, similar to a voice mail notification. (This is what my sister tells me. I haven't seen the received messages first hand.)

I have stopped using the subject line as a fix. But, does anyone know how to correct this problem?

**added label**

Hello Jfklein,

The problem you're referring to is actually your phone (and network) working properly. It's one of the iPhone settings. By adding a subject line, you're sending your sister a MMS rather than a SMS. To remove the subject line:

Settings --> Messages --> Show Subject Field --> Off.

Show Subject Field: With this switch on, a subject line appears before any text messages that you write — just like e-mail. This turns an SMS (Short Message Service) into an MMS (Multimedia Message Service). If you're sending to someone who doesn't have MMS capabilities, they may not receive your message. If you leave the subject field blank, it remains an SMS, or you can just keep this setting off. ~ Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoRanya
Former Moderator

Hey jfklein, 

Thanks for reaching out Smiley 

Are you only having this problem when you text your sister and add a subject field or with all users?

@1234Com, any idea on what could be causing this?