SG880MK-8HD Trail Camera Setup With SIM Card

61morgan
I'm a Participant Level 3

Hello everyone!

I own a trail camera which will be used to monitor my cottage at the lake. It has a GSM 1900 ability to send emails to my PC using my Fido SIM Card (data only). I've tried to setup the profile.ini file so that it will communicate but I'm having zero luck.

Here is the form:

Profile file? template for Fido:

; for MMS application
[MMS Setting]
URL=http://mms.fido.ca
APN=mms.fido.ca
IP=205.151.11.13
Port=8080
Account=
Password=

[GPRS Setting]
Server= your smtp server to send out the picture
Port=your smtp server port
APN=gprs.fido.ca
Account=
Password=
Email user=email address to send out pictures (a new gmail address for this purpose only)
Email password= password (for the new gmail address above)

[Addressee]
Phone1= your phone number (my personal cell number which is dif. than the data only SIM)
Phone2=
Phone3=
Phone4=
Email1= email address to recieve pictures (my personal email address; gmail)
Email2=
Email3=

Email4=

Are the settings correct? Is the Lte SIM Card backward compatible for GSM 1900? I really don't know why it doesn't work.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello 61morgan,

Welcome to the community!

To answer your last question first, yes, the LTE SIMs are compatible with GSM1900 (at least for the moment).

@61morgan wrote:

[MMS Setting]
APN=mms.fido.ca
IP=205.151.11.13
Port=8080

For MMS, the port should be 80.

@61morgan wrote:

[GPRS Setting]
Server= your smtp server to send out the picture
Port=your smtp server port
APN=gprs.fido.ca

The SMTP server and port should be those used for your email. With regards to APN, try fido-core-appl1.apn

Aside: I mentioned the LTE SIMs were compatible with GSM1900 for the moment because there are plans to decommission the GSM networks in 2018.

**edit** Are you sure there is GSM1900 service in your area? There may be cellular coverage where your cottage is located, however, GSM1900 travels the shortest distance and has the least penetrability of the GSM bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

61morgan

First, I should mention that the brand is BolyGuard or ScoutGuard and I did use your great link to lookup towers. We have a Rogers tower close to our home that gives 4 bars on the camera, at the lake, we are 4 Kms away from 2 Rogers towers so there shouldn't be a problem there. I can hit a Telus tower with a golf ball from our dock and we have a SIM for Telus too.

I tried the changes that you recommended and it looked like we might have success until it faded to "network busy" every time. I see you have added additional info in another post, I just have to figure out where those entries go! Thanks for your help, some great information that I wasn't aware of. I'll play around with it some more this evening.

Question: do you think it has something to do with my using gmail for messaging? 

Hello again,

@61morgan wrote:

Question: do you think it has something to do with my using gmail for messaging? 

To clarify, what do you mean by messaging? From what I gather, you should be able to either receive a MMS to your phone or have the photos emailed to your Gmail account (or both). Are you trying to have the device send a MMS or send an email?

To be honest, I'm not sure if using Gmail has anything to do with your problems. It could... For one thing, the server port is either 587 or 465 depending on which security protocol (TLS or SSL) is being used. There do not seem to be any options to specify any protocol in the profile.ini. Port 25, which does not need a security protocol, is not available to the regular Gmail server: smtp.gmail.com

I understand your Fido SIM is data only, but have you tried to send an image via MMS? You still should be able to send MMS on a pay-per-use basis (unless the service has been blocked on the SIM).

Something I just thought of... how large are these images? GSM is the 2G network and any data sent via 2G would be rather slow. I understand that's what those devices are designed to do, but I remember how long it took to download MMS via GSM1900!

I did come across this page here. Number 11 discusses network busy, however it's not in very much detail.

The other settings in my second post would be in lieu of the fido-core-appl1.apn I mentioned earlier. That is, [GPRS Setting] APN=wap.fido.ca or APN=internet.fido.ca

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

61morgan

Hi Gawtau !

You are right, I should be able to send an MMS picture to my phone. My goal is to send pictures and video to an email address. The size of the picture taken is 605 kb but the image that is sent is half that. Even at 2G it should arrive in a reasonable time. I don't know why they are using 2G today, makes no sense.

Here is the layout I'm testing right now, note the "port 465" for the GPRS port number (re:gmail):

; for MMS application
[MMS Setting]
APN=mms.fido.ca
IP=205.151.11.13
Port=80
Account=
Password=
[GPRS Setting]
Server=smtp.gmail.com
Port=465
APN=fido-core-appl1.apn
Account=
Password=
Email user=DDDDDDDDcamera@gmail.com
Email password=SSSSSSS
[Addressee]
Phone1=519QQQQQQ
Phone2=
Phone3=
Phone4=
Email1=AAAAAAA@gmail.com

This configuration isn't working but it appears to be close as there is a 10 step program and the system runs through all 10 steps before failing. I would like to try those other settings that you mention as soon as I can figure out where to plug everything in. The other question I have is, "do I really have to input the MMS data on this .ini file if I only want to use GPRS?

The suggestion has been made that I should contact the manufacturer but I haven't been able to get anything out of them yet. I would have better luck with a distributor I think, too many things come from China these days.

Thanks!

Hello again,

I understand your goal of sending the pictures and video to your email. My initial thoughts were that you could send a test MMS to see if the settings were correct. Now that I'm a little more awake Wink , I realise it wouldn't accomplish what I intended.

I noted the addition of the port for the Gmail server in your settings. However, I'm not sure if it's as simple as including the port number. Both of Gmail's SMTP ports use encryption for security. Does the device support the encryption of emails using either protocol? If it doesn't, it's possible (even likely) the servers will block all unencrypted traffic.

I understand you also tried the Yahoo server with similar results. I believe those servers also use encrypted ports. Have you tried a Hotmail email? As far as I can tell, their server, smtp.live.com, uses either port 25 or 465. Port 25 is not encrypted so it shouldn't have the same issue (if encryption is an issue, that is).

@61morgan wrote:

...The other question I have is, "do I really have to input the MMS data on this .ini file if I only want to use GPRS?...

Intuitively, I do not see why you would need to include the MMS info if you only wish to use GPRS. However, from what I have read, those devices can be rather finicky regarding the profile.ini. Misplaced or additional commas/periods causing problems; even whether to include the '1' in the phone number has been discussed frequently. Personally, I would include the MMS info. You should be able to set the device to not send MMS. **edit** Once you get the settings to work properly, you might consider a trial with the MMS settings removed (if you really do not wish to include them). It would just be rather unfortunate if you found the correct GPRS settings, but it still didn't work because the device didn't like the profile.ini without the MMS settings**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hey @61morgan

Welcome to our Community Smiley

Are you referring to using a Gmail account for the email setup for your camera? Have you tried another email address to see if the result is different?

61morgan

Hi Claudia!

I have in fact tried Yahoo as my second source for transfering emails and it was no better than Gmail. I want to use GPSR as it is the most economical way to send messages, and, this camera, unlike many others will allow you to send video clips as well. The problem as I see it is that I have so many variables to get right here. I came to this board to see if anyone has used a Fido SIM card to send emails from their IP Security cameras, or, a trail camera etc., to see if the setup, as far as Fido is concerned, right for me.

For instance, this link shows me that Fido used the port 8080:

http://www.camera4life.com/content/8-faq

There are also different configurations of other inputs too so I hoped to hear from someone that has done this before. I changed the port address, I have also changed the URL: and APN: but nothing is quite right so far.  If I knew I had the Fido portion correct, it would make it so much easier to figure out how to setup GPRS. The link above is the closest thing I have found to addressing the Canadian market.

As and when I get closer to the solution I'll be sure to post it out there to help others.

Thanks for joining in here!

Thanks a lot for this information @61morgan

I suggest you contact the manufacturer with the information provided in this post. They might be able to give you more details about what's missing or what's wrong with those settings. 

Hello again,

To add to the above, depending on the protocols available to the device, you might consider trying wap.fido.ca or internet.fido.ca

WAP.jpg

Taken from here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers